View Full Version : A few questions

Pommie
12-24-2003, 10:36 AM
Ive just brought a wireless LAN card for my PDA so I'm in the processs of experimenting with applications. Sorry for the long questions...

1. I have Windows XP and the PPC Terminal Server client configured ok, my question, is there any way to rotate the screen into Horizontal mode rather than view everything in vertical?
2. Is the MS solution better than any other Thin Client applications?
3. I have loads of MP3's on my PC, is it possible to map to the share and play them through the PDA or woudl I need some other streaming application?
4. When I did try map to the share with explorer, it said the network name was in use or soemthing to that effect, either way it wasnt able to see or map to the share either through the computer name or IP address. Just wondering if WEP has any impact on this?
5. Is there any Instant messaging clients out there like trillian that can comunicate with all IM clients?

Thanks & Merry Christmas

Janak Parekh
12-24-2003, 06:52 PM
1. I have Windows XP and the PPC Terminal Server client configured ok, my question, is there any way to rotate the screen into Horizontal mode rather than view everything in vertical?
You have to use a third-party utility application, like Nyditot Virtual Display (http://www.nyditot.com/).

2. Is the MS solution better than any other Thin Client applications?
It (RDP) is a rather efficient protocol -- few come close. Citrix (www.citrix.com)'s ICA is better, but that's really enterprise-only. There's also VNC, but it's slower.

3. I have loads of MP3's on my PC, is it possible to map to the share and play them through the PDA or woudl I need some other streaming application?
I believe so, but I don't do this, so I'll defer it to the people who do it on a daily basis. If you try a search you'll see discussions on this very topic.

4. When I did try map to the share with explorer, it said the network name was in use or soemthing to that effect, either way it wasnt able to see or map to the share either through the computer name or IP address. Just wondering if WEP has any impact on this?
It shouldn't be WEP. Make sure your handheld has a different name than your PC (although I suspect ActiveSync wouldn't work if they were the same).

5. Is there any Instant messaging clients out there like trillian that can comunicate with all IM clients?
Hmm. I don't know. ;) I use AIM and MSNM, and that's it. Again, try a search on the boards, and see if anything turns up...?

Good luck. :)

--janak