View Full Version : Anyone ever ask for a Pocket PC and get a Palm?

townsendtribe
12-24-2003, 08:36 AM
No, it hasn't happened to me... but I was just wondering, you know, with Christmas and all. I know I will tell my wife something and she can easily get it confused when it comes to tech, so I have to be specific.

I was just wondering if anyone ever asked for a Pocket PC and ended up with a palm, or even better, one of those "off brand" data organizer instead.

piperpilot
12-24-2003, 01:18 PM
I specifically asked for a 5455 iPAQ last year for Christmas. I put it on my Christmas list with a live hyperlink to the device on HP's web site. What did I get on Christmas day? A Sony Clie. It went back to the store unopened and was exchanged for . . . you guessed it, a 5455 iPAQ. Now my husband thinks every gift he gives me will be returned. <sigh>

shawnc
12-24-2003, 02:07 PM
This is an interesting question. It's never happened to me, but I can see how it COULD happen. For many years, Palm was viewed as the device name, not the brand. Kind of like Kleenex. With my 1st PPC, people used to always refer to it as a Palm...I started out correcting them. Then decided it was simply easier to say thank you.

rhmorrison
12-24-2003, 02:08 PM
I know what you mean.

My wife asked me what I wanted several years ago and I told her I wanted a nice wood chess set to go with my wood chess board. Because I knew that she had no idea what good chess pieces are I gave her a catalog with the set circled that I wanted.

What did she do? Of course she went to a local department store and asked the clerk and brought home a set of pieces that were too small and NOT WEIGHTED. And the clerk told her it was one of the best they had.

piperpilot
12-24-2003, 02:16 PM
My husband, after more than 6 years of living together, still hasn't learned that I when I ask for something specific and go to the trouble of putting together a Christmas list with live hyperlinks to the items I want, at the best price available, that I expect to get those items; not something else. Substituted judgment NEVER works when buying gifts for someone who is very precise about what they want. And I am very precise when it comes to my PPC. I guess I better work on my "training" techniques re: gift giving! :wink:

townsendtribe
12-24-2003, 04:40 PM
I just think it's funny that there are those of us that know what we want. And when you are a Pocket PC Loyalist, well, a palm pilot is just an insult. But there is a large portion of the worlds population that does not know the difference between a Pocket PC or any other handheld device. Can you believe that?!?

I can't count how many times I would pull out my Axim and someone would say "Nice Palm Pilot". I of course would correct them immediatly, but the thought is still out there that if it is a handheld device, it is a palm... When will they learn?

Janak Parekh
12-24-2003, 07:23 PM
My husband, after more than 6 years of living together, still hasn't learned that I when I ask for something specific and go to the trouble of putting together a Christmas list with live hyperlinks to the items I want, at the best price available, that I expect to get those items; not something else. Substituted judgment NEVER works when buying gifts for someone who is very precise about what they want. And I am very precise when it comes to my PPC. I guess I better work on my "training" techniques re: gift giving! :wink:
Just stand over his shoulder as he does the shopping, and rip his arm away from the mouse if he starts veering off anywhere else. Problem solved. Of course, it's no "surprise" that way... :lol:

--janak

Vincent M Ferrari
12-24-2003, 07:49 PM
I could easily fill out the yes, considering the main reason I buy all my own handhelds is that I know if I asked for one, I wouldn't necessarily get what I want...

My wife is good about stuff like that. The rest of my family is getting better. But if I asked for an iPaq 4150 (my latest obsession), I know for a fact I'd get a Palm IIIc because "they're all the same."

I'm just glad my birthday is the month after Christmas so I don't have to wait long for people to correct their mistakes :-)

Candygogo
12-24-2003, 09:01 PM
I never ask anyone to get me a ppc. I may hint around, but I never come right out and ask. I don't have too many 'techies' in my life and would hate to be disappointed. Even writing the name down, underlining it and giving directions to the store where it's at is STILL possible for something to go wrong! :wink:

Oh well, you can't go wrong with gift certificates...

Ripper014
12-25-2003, 12:42 AM
I just wanted to respond to Piperpilots statement...

I am also quite particular about what I want... so much so that the girlfriend is afraid to pull the trigger... So her frustration level is high... what am I trying to say..? I don't know.. just wanted to let you know your not alone... (I buy my own toys... ie. wifi card and wireless router just before Christmas)...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Jon Westfall
12-25-2003, 03:40 AM
I just wanted to respond to Piperpilots statement...

I am also quite particular about what I want... so much so that the girlfriend is afraid to pull the trigger... So her frustration level is high... what am I trying to say..? I don't know.. just wanted to let you know your not alone... (I buy my own toys... ie. wifi card and wireless router just before Christmas)...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ripper, it appears to me that you're on the right track. Buy what you know you want, and let the girlfriend pick a gift of her own for ya and pretend (if you must) to like it.

After all, show your unhappiness enough and she won't be afraid to pull the trigger :armed: :snipersmile:

mrkablooey
12-25-2003, 05:18 PM

Is that gift-giving or a shopping list? :)

Thinkingmandavid
12-25-2003, 09:22 PM
I did not ask for anything for christmas. Work gave gift cards from best buy, and I have a good amount, so I am using it to get me a 2215 :D
I think you have to have a good relationship and let them know when it comes to your ppc that a palm is not going to work. so the hint for gift cards is great, and then they can get you whatever else they want since it is not in the ppc range. That keeps us happy and our loved ones happy:)

Mitch D
12-26-2003, 01:10 AM
I specifically asked for a 5455 iPAQ last year for Christmas. I put it on my Christmas list with a live hyperlink to the device on HP's web site. What did I get on Christmas day? A Sony Clie. It went back to the store unopened and was exchanged for . . . you guessed it, a 5455 iPAQ. Now my husband thinks every gift he gives me will be returned. <sigh>

Your poor husband most likely talked to a salesperson who disliked PPC's and who had convinced him that the Clie was a superior product. One thing I have learned as a sales guy is too give the customer exactly what they ask for, especially if it's a Xmas present. Cuts down on returned in the new year and fights at home!

Merry Xmas!

ChristopherTD
01-16-2004, 11:31 AM
My brother and father heard that I was pleased with my iPaq and decided that they would like a "Pocket PC" too. Off they went to the store and they both came back with Palm Tungstens!

In my Dads case he knew it was not a Pocket PC, but as he only wants to read books on it the higher screen resolution influenced his decision.

Janak Parekh
01-16-2004, 08:55 PM
In my Dads case he knew it was not a Pocket PC, but as he only wants to read books on it the higher screen resolution influenced his decision.
In that case, he should have looked at the e805. It's almost like reading on paper (~200 dpi), except for the fact that the screen is backlit. It IS more expensive, though.

--janak

ntractv
01-16-2004, 09:22 PM
Never happened to me, but, then again everyone that knows me knows better to purchase anything electronic or any gadget device for me and that it is better to let me get it on my own so no mistakes will be made and I get what I want.

ChristopherTD
01-16-2004, 11:03 PM
In that case, he should have looked at the e805. It's almost like reading on paper (~200 dpi), except for the fact that the screen is backlit. It IS more expensive, though.

I did recommend the e805 but it is not currently available in New Zealand (where he is). When VGA screens become better supported I am looking forward to upgrading my 5550 as it is used about 85% for reading!

ctmagnus
01-17-2004, 04:26 AM
Never happened to me, but, then again everyone that knows me knows better to purchase anything electronic or any gadget device for me and that it is better to let me get it on my own so no mistakes will be made and I get what I want.

Same for me. Sometimes it sucks to be born into a family of neophites. ;)

Paula
01-17-2004, 10:22 AM
ChristopherTD,
Toshiba's are very hard to find here in NZ. The closest we have are Audiovox models (we are getting the new phone version they just released) which you have to sell the home to buy (close to $2,000.00 here from what I've heard).

NZ is an iPaq, Dell and Palm country and not in that order. :?

----------------
I had just the opposite experience:
2 years ago I asked for a Palm m505 and I got a Palm m505. What I didn't know was that I really wanted a PPC. :roll: After the m505 had been shipped to me from the States by my parents I went into our local electronics store and saw my first iPaq. It was love at first sight. When the m505 arrived I sent it back to CompUSA and got a gift card. It took me 2 years to get the PPC I really wanted (h2215, I am a sucker for dual slots).

Paula

Chin0z
01-17-2004, 06:38 PM
It's the opposite for me. I was looking for a clie nx80, and got a 4150 instead

Ed Hansberry
01-18-2004, 02:16 AM
Definitely a case of the store not having the exact item and the guy behind the counter saying product X is the sama thing. :?

Jeff Rutledge
01-18-2004, 03:04 AM
It's the opposite for me. I was looking for a clie nx80, and got a 4150 instead

Lucky you! ;)