View Full Version : Always wondered 'bout this... (re: ActiveSync)

kamikun
12-24-2003, 03:25 AM
OK, I don't do back-ups as often as I should but that's because of the time involved.

Can anyone give me a good reason why a full back-up on my Cassiopia E-2000 (64 RAM) takes over two hours!!??!!

I know you can use 3rd party utilites to backup to a flash memory card but I need to back up to the computer itself (cards are almost full).

But again... why does it take so long to copy the files out of memory? I can transfer a 20 meg file in less than 2 minutes with ActiveSync. What else is the program doing??

tanalasta
12-24-2003, 02:32 PM
Let me start by saying i have no idea why AS is so slow backuping your device. However, let me also assure you that it is just as slow for everyone else and restoring is actually even slower. :devilboy: It's an unfortunate fact and if it wasn't the case, brilliant programs like Sprite's Backup wouldn't exist.

The premium version of Sprite's backup does let you backup to a computer. You can also use this to back up onto a flash card then using activesync transfer the backup file onto your computer (which takes as long as transferring any other file using AS - usually under a few minutes if you have a slow device). If you haven't tried Sprite's backup, i strongly recommend you try it as you can often backup your data in 5 minutes flat (restore takes about the same time) which makes a heck of a difference compared to 2-3 hours no? ;)

kamikun
12-24-2003, 02:59 PM
tanalasta, thanks for the note. I'll take a look at Sprite.

It's good ... errr reassuring to know that's it's not just me.