View Full Version : Ak, serious problem regarding installation of ActiveSync 3.7.1...:(

Sydney Bristow
12-23-2003, 02:19 PM
Hello everyone! I'm currently using Windows XP, just purchased HP iPAQ 4150 yesterday...anyways, everything's fine except for the ActiveSync software. :? The problem is that it will not install (on my computer)!!! >.<

I could install the outlook fine, but when I attempted to install the AS, it *seems* to be running, but then it doesn't do anything -- it just stops, no wizard, no anything... :cry:

So then I figured maybe there's something wrong with the CD, and dled it from Microsoft --> Same result. :roll:

I'm not sure what's happening, since the "requirement" includes Windows XP, and I do have USB ports (though I don't really know about the pin thingies they speak of ^^;; )...any help on the matter will be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much and merry Christmas~ :D

P.S: If I look in the task manager, setup.exe and is_setup.exe are running in the "Process" section with very little memory usage (ex. 16 kb, etc). :?:

piperpilot
12-23-2003, 07:22 PM
I have had the same exact problem for months now and cannot figure out a way to correct it without reinstalling the operating system. I, too, am using Windows XP. I had previously installed AS with no problems. I uninstalled it for some reason that I cannot now remember and that's when the problem began. I have tried downloading it and running it from the CD, all with the same result: nothing. I deleted all references to AS from my local drive and the registry. Again: nothing. I can't figure it out.

Sydney Bristow
12-23-2003, 07:37 PM
Oh wow, I don't know what I did, but I was about to give up thinking that I'll probably have to reinstall my OS again...and I was "end program"-ming in my task manager for setup.exe (not is_setup.exe as I tried thousands of times previously), and then BOOM! WOW!!! Wizard popped up!!! I'm so happy!!! :D :D :D Thank goodness it worked, I was so sad thinking of all the things I'll have to backup in CD-R... :roll: Whew!

I wish I knew what happened though ^^; So that if it ever comes that I have to install AS again, I don't have to go through the pain once more......

Thank you very much piperpilot, it really helped console myself knowing that it's not just me :) I wish you great luck on fixing it too (maybe try ending setup.exe after waiting awhile, without ending is_setup.exe?)...-^^-

But now I have another quesiton xD I uploaded some MP3 & Midi files into a new folder I called "Music," but I cannot seem to be able to figure out how to find them...I can go into the folder Music, but there's nothing in there; and yet, on my ActiveSync, it says they're there! >< Any helps on this will be greatly appreciated! Thank you~ =)

Wiggin
12-23-2003, 08:08 PM
Sydney, common problem encoutered by many. One of the "features" of the PPC is the My Documents concept. If you would like Windows Media Player to see your files, you need to place them BELOW the My Documents Folder, in a sub-folder. You might have created the Music Folder outside of the My Documents folder, and if so, WMP won't see them... but they are there! If that is the case, just move the folder & contents, and all will be golden!
BTW, this same rule applies to Memory cards as well (SD, CF).
As a final comment to complicate things even more... some applications you install on the PPC may not follow the My Documents rule... it is the Programmer's choice :silly: . But for applications like WMP that come with the PPC, they use the "feature".

Hope that helps
:)

Sydney Bristow
12-23-2003, 08:26 PM
Thank you so much for your help Wiggin! It sort of worked (shows if I run Windows Media Player and go to Playlists)! :D I really appreciate it :)

...except MP3s work, but the midi files still won't show >< I take it that perhaps either midis aren't supported, or I'll need special software to run them? ^^

Also, I seem to be having similar problem with .exe files... :cry:

[edit]
Tee hee, nm, I found the "File Explorer" feature while playing around with it at the restaurant! :lol: Whee~