View Full Version : what to do in case of ebay scam?

ale2999
12-23-2003, 12:21 AM
ok I am not happy. I have the big fear that I got scammed out of my sale.
I purchased an unlocked mpx200 on ebay and I immediately paid through paypal, as paypal was the seller favourite method of payment. I kept talking through him throuh email so i thought he was a legit guy. the feedback were only 3, but they were good so I trusted those. anyways he said that he would ship a week after which was last friday. I asked for a tracking number but he replied that my money were refounded and if I still wanted the item I should pay through bidpay.com which I have no intention to do. all i want is my money back. in my paypal there is no money in, and my credit card account shows transactions only 2 days after they happened so I dont see anything there. I am not 100% sure that i have been scammed so I am not realising names, but sometin stinks. may some1 with experiencies in this field help me pls?

newbie2
12-23-2003, 12:27 AM
Wow, dangerous.

If you think its a scam, take out all the money from PayPal. Then do reverse charges on your credit card. Make sure PayPal cannot get money from you through direct bank transfer.

ale2999
12-23-2003, 12:33 AM
Wow, dangerous.

If you think its a scam, take out all the money from PayPal. Then do reverse charges on your credit card. Make sure PayPal cannot get money from you through direct bank transfer.
ouch I had direct payment.... cant do that too late

Pat Logsdon
12-23-2003, 12:38 AM
I've recently gone through some weirdness as a seller on eBay. The buyer is in France, and could not pay via PayPal, so I recommended bidpay, which is now western union. For the seller, this is very secure, as western union eats the cost if the buyer is committing fraud. They'll ask you to not ship the item if you haven't already, but if you have, that's it - they take the loss and don't charge back.

PayPal does no such thing - if anyone uses a stolen or fradulent credit card, PayPal will charge the amount they lost on the transaction back to you. Not very nice, especially seeing as how PayPal should have verified that the transaction was legit before letting it go forward.

Personally, if you're at all worried about fraud, I would REMOVE all credit card and bank information from PayPal, and then close the account.

I would also contact the other people who gave positive feedback to this person, and ask them how THEIR transaction went. If you're still comfortable with the seller after that, I'd go ahead and do the Western Union thing. It's not a wire, they actually send a money order via USPS to the seller.

If you're worried that the seller won't ship to you after receiving the money, I'd just forget the whole thing and bid on something else.

Just my 2 cents! Good luck!

ale2999
12-23-2003, 12:45 AM
well I am the buyer, so I want sometin secure for me. No I dont trust this individual very much anymore. so are u saying that paypal will refund me everything?

ale2999
12-23-2003, 07:38 PM
thx be to the Lord everything was fixed! thx for your input

newbie2
12-23-2003, 08:13 PM
How do you fix it? Do you mind tell me about the whole thing? Probably we can learn something from it.