View Full Version : once information is backed up in Activ Sync, how do I find it if I need it?

cchall
12-22-2003, 01:28 AM
I wanted to look back and find out where we were on a certain date. I can't figure out how to do it. Do I have to restore all the information that has been backed up???? If that is the case, then what happens after I have the information I need--do I back up again and just have current information on my IPAQ?

I am sure I could have worded this question better; not sure of the correct terminology.

Thanks for any help you can offer me :?

yvilla
12-22-2003, 05:09 AM
Can't you just look for your calendar info in Outlook on your PC?

cchall
12-22-2003, 06:05 AM
My calendar only shows the current month. I want to look back at previous months and find what we were doing on a particular day. All I find when I look back are birthdays, anniversaries, etc. Nothing that shows previous appointments.

Thanks

yvilla
12-22-2003, 06:39 AM
Sorry, I can't help with your AS backup question, because I never use AS backup. I just do a daily backup onto my CF card. But I can't understand why you don't have all your calendar data on your desktop or laptop, whatever PC you have Outlook on, and sync with. Outlook should be a permanent repository of your calendar data. It is all there on my Tablet PC. :?:

cchall
12-22-2003, 06:11 PM
I don't know why, either. I have looked in Outlook, it isn't there. When I sync, I get the message each time, "now backing up to backup, please do not use your device while backup in effect--windows\restore.fdf"
I can find that file on my desktop; but I can't open it.

Anyone else out there who knows how to bail me out of this problem??

Thanks!

PetiteFlower
12-22-2003, 07:23 PM
AS backups are all or nothing, you have to do a full restore if you want to see it.

Plus, each time it backs up, it overwrites the previous backup.

You need to change your sync settings for the calender so it syncs past appointments as well as current and future; otherwise it deletes the old stuff. I learned this the hard way as well, grrrr.

cchall
12-23-2003, 01:35 AM
:) thanks so much for that information. I will never make that mistake again! Merry Christmas.

cchall
12-23-2003, 01:43 AM
Whoops, I guess I don't know how to change my sync settings! More help needed. Thanks.

ctmagnus
12-23-2003, 04:28 AM
Whoops, I guess I don't know how to change my sync settings! More help needed. Thanks.

In ActiveSync on the desktop:

Tools -> Options

or

the Options button

or

right click whichever type of item you want to change, and click settings.

:D

PetiteFlower
12-23-2003, 06:49 PM
In your case it would be the Calender options....there should be a check box for "do not sync past appointments" or something like that, you should uncheck it.