View Full Version : More odd reminder behaviour

terrypin
12-19-2003, 10:41 AM
Since using WakeUp Tweak from Burr Oak Software my alarms on tasks/appointments/notes/clock have been reasonably reliable. But occasionally I still get some odd behaviour. Here's an example I'll describe in some detail.

This morning I heard an alarm sounding from my 2210 PPC, which I'd removed from its cradle and switched off a few minutes earlier. It repeated 5 mins later. When I had the opportunity to attend to it, I saw just the Today screen, with no evidence what was causing the alarm.(This used to happen quite frequently.)

Whatever else is going on, or whatever caused the alarm, this is clearly a bug somewhere IMO. There's no point in a reminder that doesn't reveal its source. Today I know I don't have to dash off to a meeting, or take the turkey out of the oven, whatever, but I could envisage circumstances when an 'unidentified alarm' could be stressful! I think that's true whether it's the initial reminder, or a repetition as a result of either being ignored or Snoozed. Anyway, at this point I tapped Snooze (10 mins).

To track it down quickly I ran PHM Scheduler to view full details of my Notification Queue database. (BTW, alternatives such as ScaryBear's Check Notification, or S-K's Remover unfortunately don't appear to show *times* of events, only dates. Isn't that a serious shortcoming?)

I found it was apparently being caused by a task I'd set yesterday with a due date of today 19/12/03. This was showing a bizarre reminder date of 3/11/03, i.e. 3rd November. Not sure how that got in there, but I suspect I entered it for a similar task weeks ago, and then used that task yesterday to create my 'new' one.

When the alarm sounded again, this time I tapped Dismiss, and heard no more repetitions.

As a footnote, at 09:23 I've just added a new task, due today, with a reminder time of 09:30. On looking at NQ in PHM Scheduler, I see there are two identical entries for this task. I seem to recall reading that this 'duplication issue' only arose after a soft reset? Apparently not.

Just an end-user, not a programmer.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.