View Full Version : Windows Security Software

Mitch D
12-19-2003, 02:18 AM
Does anyone out there know of any software that you can install on Windows XP that stps people from making any chages to the systems and also stops them from being able to download software, pictures etc but still allows net access?

I know it might be wishful thinking but I had to ask.

PetiteFlower
12-19-2003, 02:31 AM
Well a limited account in XP can download but not install. XP Pro might give you more options for restricting a limited account.

qmrq
12-19-2003, 02:32 AM
I'm pretty sure limited users can install software on NT. I'm not expert with NT security though. :rotfl: I just had to laugh when I said that.

Janak Parekh
12-19-2003, 03:28 AM
I'm pretty sure limited users can install software on NT. I'm not expert with NT security though.
Not that funny. The NT kernel actually has very flexible security -- perhaps too flexible.

Serious answer to the question: PF is right on the money when it comes to installing. Make the person a Limited User (or a "User" as opposed to a "Power User" if you're using Computer Management on an XP Pro box), and they won't be able to install software unless it can install as an "individual user"-style program. (Just like installing in one's home directory under Linux.)

However, preventing the download of software, pictures, etc.? You need a webbrowser replacement for that, I believe. There are some group policy settings in XP Pro, but I'm not sure they'll be enough. (Start => Run => gpedit.msc if you want to play with them; pretty sure they're not available in XP Home. As always, there's a risk associated with playing with this stuff....)

--janak