View Full Version : Strange problem... please help newbie here!!

hkboey
12-17-2003, 11:33 PM
Hi, Im getting so confused!! Encounter this problem with my hp iPAQ 4150.

For instance, I installed PIE Plus, which should be loaded itself everytime I soft reset as it has a shortcut in the Start-Up folder. Unfortunately, everytime I soft reset the message "Cannot find 'PIEPlus' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and all the required libraries are available." will appear!! But if I use file explorer and go under the Start-Up folder and click on the shortcut, it will load fine. What is actually wrong? I did one hard reset and it didnt help. Tried add some shortcuts to Start-Up folder, some programs work but some not......... Please help!!!!! Dying of this...

moaske
12-18-2003, 12:05 AM
Maybe this is too simple; but have you checked that PIEplus is absolutely compatible with Windows Mobile 2003 (Win CE.NET 4.2) ?
If not, that might cause some problems...

Chris Spera
12-18-2003, 12:33 AM
Where did you install the app?

If you installed it to a Storage Card, then that's why you're getting the error.

When you soft reset your device, Device RAM initializes before the SD Card is read. As a result, programs that install to the StartUp folder that reside on Storage Cards will generate this error, because the path literally DOES NOT exist (yet). It does AFTER the Storage Card initializes, and that's why the shortcut works with File Explorer.

The solution is to uninstall it from the Storage Card and reinstall it to Main RAM.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

hkboey
12-18-2003, 12:09 PM
Where did you install the app?

If you installed it to a Storage Card, then that's why you're getting the error.

When you soft reset your device, Device RAM initializes before the SD Card is read. As a result, programs that install to the StartUp folder that reside on Storage Cards will generate this error, because the path literally DOES NOT exist (yet). It does AFTER the Storage Card initializes, and that's why the shortcut works with File Explorer.

The solution is to uninstall it from the Storage Card and reinstall it to Main RAM.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Thanks Christopher,

It's now fixed by installing the program in the Main Memory. So, are you trying to say that whatever software that is placed under the Start-Up menu has to be resides in the Main Memory? No way to install them in Storage Card?

hkboey
12-18-2003, 12:13 PM
Maybe this is too simple; but have you checked that PIEplus is absolutely compatible with Windows Mobile 2003 (Win CE.NET 4.2) ?
If not, that might cause some problems...

Yes, it's fully compatible.. it's the latest release. Anyway, it's now fixed... thanks for your info.

Chris Spera
12-18-2003, 02:01 PM
Thanks Christopher,

It's now fixed by installing the program in the Main Memory. So, are you trying to say that whatever software that is placed under the Start-Up menu has to be resides in the Main Memory? No way to install them in Storage Card?

No, you can install things to your storage card, but you have to remember there are some items that belong in main RAM and others that can live on your SD Card without a problem.

Items like Snoopsoft Dashboard and Pocket Informant MUST be installed to main RAM, or they don't work right. Part of this is because they get run on start up and/or they modify hardware buttons.

BUT...generally speaking, yes, if its going to be run at device boot, and you don't want to deal with the error messages, install it to main RAM.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

hkboey
12-18-2003, 07:40 PM
Hmm... now I see it. No choice for now and just to live my life the way it should be....

thanks pal! :)