View Full Version : Wife says I can pick out software... help me choose

binstpa
12-17-2003, 10:59 PM
It is our anniversary and my wife will let me pick out my own present. I would like to get something cool for my ppc. I don't know if I should go with a game, or something else. I have pocket informant, mastersoft money, and a few games.

I was looking at tower mogul, cropped out (although I have their egghead one, and if it is like that I wouldn't want it). Also, I was considering sprite backup software.

I am a law student and would like to use my ipaq (1910) in many more ways than I am currently. What would you guys recommend if you could get any piece of software you wanted.

Thanks

Jason Dunn
12-17-2003, 11:28 PM
My vote would be for two things: a subscription (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php) to this site, costing between $24 and $36, and Sprite Backup - and if you become a subscriber you'll get a 33% discount coupon off that software. See, everybody wins! :lol:

binstpa
12-17-2003, 11:35 PM
what other discounts are offered. I am trying to find out if it will be a good deal in the long run. I don't buy software very often, and being a student I don't have money to burn.

Jason Dunn
12-17-2003, 11:59 PM
what other discounts are offered. I am trying to find out if it will be a good deal in the long run. I don't buy software very often, and being a student I don't have money to burn.

Here's what we've published so far in the past six months (some have expired, but this should give you an idea of what to expect):

33% Off Sprite Backup & Sprite Backup Plus (Valid Until 3/31/2004)
20% Off Various Clickgamer.com Titles
15% Off Repligo (Valid Until 12/31/2003)
35% Off Queue (Valid Until 12/31/2003)
30% Off PocketGames Bundle (Valid Until 12/31/2003)
35% Off All ClimbWalls Software (Valid Until 11/31/2003)
10% Off All iProducts
10% Off Proporta Hardware, 20% off Software (Valid Until 1/31/2004)
22% Off Lexionary
20% Off Of All Conduits Software (Valid Until 12/23/2003)
30% Off BOnTime (Valid Until 12/31/2003)
25% Off Agenda Fusion 5
15% Off Palm Digital Media eBooks (Valid Until 10/13/2003)
25% Off Pocket Informant or Any Other WebIS Application (Valid Until 3/1/2004)
15% Off Any Resco Application (Valid Until 10/31/2003)
10% Off Pocket PC Techs Upgrades (No Expiration)

Additionally, you'll get the other benefits outlined on the subscriber page (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php), including a free PDAmill game, and a Vaja or Sena case discount (if you chose the Full subscription).

This is a good thread to read about why people subscribed:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20533

binstpa
12-18-2003, 12:10 AM
I just bought the anthelion and snails deal for $14. I have decided that this summer when I get a job, and am not living off of loans I will spring for the $3/mo deal - hopefully I will get a 2210 and use the discount on the Vaja case.

Jason Dunn
12-18-2003, 12:12 AM
I just bought the anthelion and snails deal for $14. I have decided that this summer when I get a job, and am not living off of loans I will spring for the $3/mo deal - hopefully I will get a 2210 and use the discount on the Vaja case.

Cool! :way to go: I look forward to it!

senfeng
12-18-2003, 12:17 AM
what other discounts are offered. I am trying to find out if it will be a good deal in the long run. I don't buy software very often, and being a student I don't have money to burn.It's an excellent deal. Top notch forum, frequently updated articles, and discounts that practically pay for the price of subscription (if you buy as much software as I have lately).

As for software, I'd recommend sprite backup, pocket controller, or resco explorer (my personal essentials), but it really depends on what you're into.

Games? Fade was kinda cool.
MP3? I like Pocket Player
Messenger? I've got AIM for PPC, but its the only one that I've tried. Works pretty well even on my PPC 2003 device.

Fishie
12-18-2003, 01:31 AM
Sprite backup is included with the Ipaq 2210

Jason Dunn
12-18-2003, 01:33 AM

The basic version, yes, but the premium version is cool. ;-)

WyattEarp
12-18-2003, 09:34 AM

The basic version, yes, but the premium version is cool. ;-)

Best of all it's only $10.00 to upgrade to to Pocket Backup Plus (Premium) for iPAQ users (if its pre-installed) :way to go:

tanalasta
12-18-2003, 09:44 AM
Yes, I'd agree that you can't go wrong with sprite backup... I don't know what the IPAQ has over the premium version though.

Is anthelion really worth buying? I've heard nice things about it and $9.95 is sorely tempting... But my experience with games is i finish them and delete them within a week or two... so far I've only kept Astraware's bejeweled/big money and Kasparov chessmate on my device. Both are nice games :)

I'd recommend Resco file explorer if you move/delete/find files a lot on your device. But there's not much more you really need as a student... Unless of course you believe in christianity in which case you definitely won't go wrong with laridian's pocketbible. It's great! There's a review of it on pocketpcthoughts somewhere... ;)

binstpa
12-18-2003, 03:46 PM
I am in the midst of finals so I haven't had a chance to play the games yet. Since I am planning on getting a 2210 (or equivalent) next summer I will hold off on the sprite backup software if it comes wth it. Then I'll shell out the $10 to get the upgrade.

Thanks for the suggestions.

What is so good about Resco file explorer. I use remover and advanced explorer which give me access to registry files and are good to move things around in folders. I here a lot of people talking about resco but I don't know what it would offer that I don't have (and mine are free). Any other suggestions would be great - Christmas is coming and I can give my family some suggestions.

sublime
12-18-2003, 05:47 PM
My wish list is to get both (but I'll settle for either) World Book Dictionary and World Book Encyclopedia. They both cost fifty bucks and are impossible to install if you don't have a memory card because they're so huge, but they are as thorough as possible. Check them out at Handango.

But if you want a really good game, I'd get "Age of Empires," which is also a huge file, but its the best game I've played to date.

I'd check this thread for more software ideas:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22031