View Full Version : .NET Compact Framework SP2 Re-Release

Andy Sjostrom
12-17-2003, 08:22 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=359EA6DA-FC5D-41CC-AC04-7BB50A134556&displaylang=en' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en</a><br /><br /></div>Not long ago Microsoft released .NET Compact Framework Service Pack 2. After detecting a critical bug shortly after the release, Microsoft decided to pull it. Now, the bug is fixed and Service Pack 2 is available for download again. All Windows Mobile Software 2003 includes .NET Compact Framework and I would love to see Microsoft work out a process with OEMs that would make this update available as a XIP ROM update instead of this RAM update. More and more applications are written using .NET Compact Framework and as a developer I would like to be able to point the users to a ROM update download location instead of having to re-distribute .NET Compact Framework with all of my applications... for a RAM install. But that is another story! Now, I am celebrating the following list of .NET Compact Framework improvements! <!><br /><br />Performance &amp; Other Improvements List:<br />- Improved performance of many data tasks, including populating DataSets, searching DataTables, DataSet.ReadXml() method when a schema is used, finding and indexing operations, setting DataSet.EnableConstraints property <br />- Improved resource loading performance<br />- Minor GUI performance improvements<br />- Extend keyboard events to be enabled on all controls (Control.KeyUp, KeyDown, KeyPress)<br />- Added support for ForeColor &amp;/or BackColor for Button, Checkbox, ComboBox, DomainUpDown, Label, Listbox, ListView, NumericUpDown, RadioButton, Trackbar, TreeView<br />- Added support for new Smartphone languages: Finnish, Czech, Romanian, Slovakian, Norwegian, Hungarian, Polish, Turkish, Russian<br />- Improved Control.Enabled and Control.Parent property changing performance<br />- Support menu hotkeys on Pocket PC<br />- Support raising context menus from assigned hardware key, Pocket PC<br />- Tab support for Pocket PC based on Z-Order<br />- XmlTextReader performance improvements<br /><br />Defect Fix List:<br />- Fixed crash when SQLClient or SQLServerCe is installed.<br />- DataRowCollection.Find() method throws wrong exception<br />- Fixed erroneous parsing of HttpWebRequest response stream<br />- Form does not get the focus when all controls are removed from the form<br />- InputPanel Button disappears from MainMenu on Pocket PC 2002<br />- InputPanel's EnabledChanged Event fires inspite of setting the enabled property to the same value.<br />- IrDAClient.DiscoverDevices device names garbled<br />- Memory leak in the NumericUpDown, DomainUpDown, ComboBox and TextBox controls<br />- Native Exception occurs when using the get accessor for Control.Capture<br />- Navigation bar flickers when new form is being loaded.<br />- ObjectDisposedException occurs when DataBinding a control to a form shown via Show()<br />- OK button eventually goes away when re-using recycled form for ShowDialog()<br />- Setting the InputPanel.Enabled property when the form is closing throws an exception<br />- SIP button does not go away when the toolbar control is removed from a form that does not have a menu<br />- The Focus method does not work correctly for the NumericUpDown and DomainUpDown controls<br />- The Text property of a ListView column is reset to “” when removing the column from the ListView and then adding it back.<br />- ContextMenu: Fixed TreeView issues on Pocket PC 2003<br />- ContextMenu: Fixed side effects on controls like Scrollbar and Label<br />- ContextMenu: erroneous functionality when bound to ListBox<br />- ContextMenu: Showing a context menu on Pocket PC for a textbox unselects the selected text in the textbox<br />- ContextMenu: Empty ContextMenu on Pocket PC should not pop up<br />- Web services: After repeatedly canceling asynchronous web request, all web service calls fail<br />- conversion of 0.0F to a string and results in a memory leak<br />- Web services: An XmlException is thrown when deserializing a qualified name that has no prefix and there is no default namespace defined<br />- Web services: Incorrect handling of null headers in SOAP message

Dom
12-17-2003, 08:38 AM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MICROSOFT will you include SQLCE in the .NET CF CAB files as installing it separately is a NIGHTMARE :)
Dom
PS Anybody know from first hand experience if this SP2 makes .NET faster ?

wocket
12-17-2003, 10:13 AM
What a lot of fixes. Definetly hate the fact that you need to install it in ram.

I'm slightly going off here but does anyone know if the fixes are already in the rom of the new SPV's, Orange E200 for example.

tanalasta
12-17-2003, 10:14 AM
Oh goodie... Now I would like to know if there is a patch available that can install .net into either ROM or a storage card.

Quite simply i don't have 4-5MB of space available on my device's RAM to install this on my device. Which means I can't install mastersoft money, PI plus my other non-storage card programs and expect to have enough memory leftoever to run things well. You can tell i have an older device with only 32MB RAM. It's a pity really...

And whilst I've got people reading this... the PI/Mastersoft money discount code was still working at the beginning of the month. I used it twice accidently (well ok... not accidently, i was deliberately seeing if i could use it twice) but i've only requested one serial code so far.... :) The reason why i've posted this here is that MS uses the .net framework and won't run without it :P

Peter Foot
12-17-2003, 01:05 PM
What a lot of fixes. Definetly hate the fact that you need to install it in ram.

I'm slightly going off here but does anyone know if the fixes are already in the rom of the new SPV's, Orange E200 for example.

The Smartphone 2003 OS includes .NETCF SP1 in ROM. Since it is not possible to RAM install the runtime on Smartphones it will be necessary to provide a ROM update with this service pack in. As yet Orange (or any other OEM/Network) have not got a ROM update with .NETCF SP2 available but hopefully this will be available soon - there are a lot of great fixes and performance increases in this build which should be beneficial on Smartphone.

William Yeung
12-17-2003, 03:46 PM
Hey I want to know what is the supposed procedures to upgrade my VS.NET environment for this patch? seems it does not upgrades the VM for PPC nor the redistributables inside the .NET CF Folder.

Andy Sjostrom
12-17-2003, 05:13 PM
Hey I want to know what is the supposed procedures to upgrade my VS.NET environment for this patch? seems it does not upgrades the VM for PPC nor the redistributables inside the .NET CF Folder.

Check out Alex Feinman's FAQ re this in his "[FAQ] Clarification on SP2 and using it for development/deployment" post in the compactframework-newsgroup!

yawanag
12-18-2003, 03:52 AM
Yikes!!! I rushed to download this and now I'm getting "Cannot run Active Sync because .Net Compact Framework is not compatible with the vesion installed."

I didn't install 3.7.1 after I read the reviews and there was very little difference. Do I need it? I'm downloading it now, as we speak.

I'm running 2002 on a T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition, if that helps any.

JonathanWardRogers
12-22-2003, 10:06 PM
XPath,XPath,XPath,XPath,XPath.........
Please?