View Full Version : Selling IPAQs overseas

prototype
12-16-2003, 07:41 PM
I am currently selling my 5555 on ebay. I have had a few buyers interested from Russian and Indonesia.

What are the implications of selling the unit to someone overseas ?? I know you are not supposed to export to certain countries. How do you know which you cannot export to? :roll:

THanks
Drew

Dave Potter
12-16-2003, 07:48 PM
Do export regulations even apply to a private sale? Wouldn't these regulation just apply to commercial sales?

EDIT:

I have had a few buyers interested from Russian and Indonesia.

I was thinking about this after I posted my last message... I would caution you about fraud in dealing with countries like these in an anonymous online environment. It's a real hackers pardise - keep in mind that many of the worst and most recent viruses orginated in Russia and/or Indonesia. Alot of online fraud orginates there too.

Before someone squaks that this is racist or something - I am only warning against online fraud. I am not drawing any broad negative conclusions about Russians and/or Indonesians!!!

Possum48
12-16-2003, 10:54 PM
I have to agree about selling stuff over ebay to anyone overseas. Unfortunately, some folks have sent stuff to other countries and allowed the buyer to pay using PayPal.

Of course the PayPal payment was stopped due to "unauthorized charge". Seems that the PayPal account was hacked. As a result the seller was out the selling price of the unit as well as the unit.

Unfortunately, this seems to be a problem with foreign countries and PayPal will not take care of getting the item back for you.

I feel sorry for the honest folks from Russia and Indonesia but I would not sell even to my sister if she lived in Russia or Indonesia or any foreign country.

I read this info this morning on the web somewhere, may have been on PocketPC Passion website. Can't find the thread right now.

But seller beware if you sell to someone overseas.

koro
12-17-2003, 04:09 AM
I sold my Dell Axim to a buyer in Australia a couple of weeks back via Ebay.

No problems at all.

Having said that, I waited until I had received the money in my Paypal account, and transferred it to my bank account, before I sent the unit.

Janak Parekh
12-17-2003, 04:25 AM
I sold my Dell Axim to a buyer in Australia a couple of weeks back via Ebay.
Australia ain't Indonesia, though. ;)

I'd give this thread a read: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16830 -- it's a little eye-opening and I'd have to say I'd shy away from even getting involved.

--janak

maximus
12-17-2003, 06:59 AM
Having said that, I waited until I had received the money in my Paypal account, and transferred it to my bank account, before I sent the unit.

If you look carefully on paypal's website, indonesia is not on their list yet. So you might have to require a bank transfer. If you choose to sell it, wait until the payment is safely in your bank account, then ship the merchandize.

Indonesia is very different from australia or singapore. In singapore, you can get into prison for issuing unfunded check. In indonesia, noone accept checks from stranger.

p.s. how much did you ask for your axim ? I can get a brand new axim X5 advanced for USD280 in singapore/malaysia. And most singaporean/malaysian vendor do delivery to indonesia (assuming the fund is good). So if your buyer is willing to pay more than $280, you should start wondering.

jbachandouris
12-17-2003, 02:03 PM
I sold an Ipaq 5450 to a buyer in Indonesia. The useless people at Paypal had a Singapore address on file with them and told me it was OK to ship the item. I also recieved a fake email from Paypal which was actucally made by the buyer Tuan Adira. One month later Paypal tells me that the credit card used was unauthorized and they charged my Paypal account $685! I have not used Paypal since. No Ipaq, no money and NO faith in Paypal. :<. As I said, I would not sell your Ipaq to Indonesia.

koro
12-17-2003, 02:36 PM
p.s. how much did you ask for your axim ? I can get a brand new axim X5 advanced for USD280 in singapore/malaysia. And most singaporean/malaysian vendor do delivery to indonesia (assuming the fund is good). So if your buyer is willing to pay more than $280, you should start wondering.

I sold the Axim X5 for a little under CAD$400. That did include an old linksys Wifi card as well. Not unreasonable considering a basic Axim X3 is going for AUD$448.00. Aussie dollars are worth pretty much the same as Canadian...

maximus
12-18-2003, 04:07 AM
I sold an Ipaq 5450 to a buyer in Indonesia. The useless people at Paypal had a Singapore address on file with them and told me it was OK to ship the item. I also recieved a fake email from Paypal which was actucally made by the buyer Tuan Adira. One month later Paypal tells me that the credit card used was unauthorized and they charged my Paypal account $685! I have not used Paypal since. No Ipaq, no money and NO faith in Paypal. :<. As I said, I would not sell your Ipaq to Indonesia.

Well, the price of a brand new 5450 is only around $600 down here...