View Full Version : This weather sucks!!!!

Candygogo
12-15-2003, 03:56 AM
In Long Island, NY that is :wink:

It's not even officially winter, and we got hit with the snow last week and today. Turned to rain now, so it's a slushy mess now. Supposed to snow some more tommorow :(

So, how is it where you are?

Falstaff
12-15-2003, 04:38 AM
I'm still wearing shorts and T-shirts most of the time here in Dallas. Though it is getting a little colder now, I found some ice outside so that means it's finally winter, for those in Texas that means a month long period where the temperature drops below 60 :roll: 8) Although I guess it's better than the conditions at the Meadowlands today.

delfuhd
12-15-2003, 04:41 AM
Danbury, CT here... Same as candygogo. Oh well, good thing for me is I'm still in high school, so I probably won't have school tomorrow! 'Tis the season! :D :)

But really, I too dislike this weather.. I drive, and I know how much bad weather SUCKS for driving.. Plus, I skateboard, so you can tell how much I wish this would go away.
But then again, this is when I pull out my snowboard! :mrgreen:

Anthony Caruana
12-15-2003, 04:46 AM
Hehe - the waether is definitely moving into Summer mode here in Emblourne, Australia. Today is a pleasant 28 deg celcius (82 deg f). Moves up to a very warm 37 deg c (99 deg f) tomorrow.

Definitely time to be "unwell" at work and head for the beach!

jmarctic
12-15-2003, 04:55 AM
Warmed up from -22 this AM alll the way to +9 altho the wind chill is -11. We have not had a good show storm in overa week. Last time I drove the Alaska Highway 2 weeks ago there was 4-6 inches of snow on the road. The plows had not been through yet. Highway was pretty much a one lane rut for close to 50 miles. 4WD :D

Where? I travel regualrly between

http://www.wunderground.com/US/AK/Delta_Junction.html

and

http://www.wunderground.com/US/AK/Tok.html

Janak Parekh
12-15-2003, 04:57 AM
Yes!!!

Are you in Nassau or Suffolk? It's pretty messy in Nassau, but I'd imagine Suffolk was worse off a week ago... and probably today too? What troubles me is that winter hasn't started and we've already had two "noreasters". Another one (rain only) is supposed to hit midweek. :(

--janak

Kati Compton
12-15-2003, 05:04 AM
Near Madison, WI we got ~3-4 inches last week, and another inch yesterday or today. Many nights have been ~5-6 degrees F, but during the day it's more like 20-36F

Janak Parekh
12-15-2003, 05:05 AM
Near Madison, WI we got ~3-4 inches last week, and another inch yesterday or today.
That's SO wrong. We've gotten about 5-6 times the amount of snow you've gotten... :cry:

--janak

Candygogo
12-15-2003, 05:42 AM
Yes!!!

Are you in Nassau or Suffolk? It's pretty messy in Nassau, but I'd imagine Suffolk was worse off a week ago... and probably today too? What troubles me is that winter hasn't started and we've already had two "noreasters". Another one (rain only) is supposed to hit midweek. :(

--janak

I'm in Nassau County (Westbury to be exact). Yea, Suffolk does get the brunt of the bad weather that hits LI.

Hopefully the temps don't drop too much tonight into tommorow for us Janek! Icy street=tendency to slip and land on my butt :(

Janak Parekh
12-15-2003, 05:43 AM
I'm in Nassau County (Westbury to be exact). Yea, Suffolk does get the brunt of the bad weather that hits LI.
Ah, you're a bit south of me. ;) I don't think the temps are supposed to drop below freezing until later tomorrow.

Think positive... at least you don't have to commute to New York as I do. :) I'm hoping the LIRR will be smooth. We'll see.

--janak

Candygogo
12-15-2003, 05:44 AM
Hehe - the waether is definitely moving into Summer mode here in Emblourne, Australia. Today is a pleasant 28 deg celcius (82 deg f). Moves up to a very warm 37 deg c (99 deg f) tomorrow.

Definitely time to be "unwell" at work and head for the beach!

Grumble...grumble..not fair! :evil:

:wink:

maximus
12-16-2003, 07:23 AM
Stop this snow talk already. I got 38 centigrade down here in indonesia. Stop making me envy ! :devilboy:

Janak Parekh
12-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Stop this snow talk already. I got 38 centigrade down here in indonesia. Stop making me envy ! :devilboy:
The grass is greener... :lol:

It was about 0 degrees C this morning here. Which is pretty warm by mid-December standards. And dry. Actually, quite a nice day, relatively speaking. 8)

--janak

Korlon
12-16-2003, 04:09 PM
Up here near "The District" we have a rather unpleasant wintery mix. We get snow turning to rain, which freezes overnight, then the sun comes out and melts it, and it freezes overnight... you get the idea. Supposed to be more rain again tonight, yay. If it rains hard enough, there'll be major roads in DC and some of the back roads here in VA closed due to flooding.

January will be better, though. Depending on my luck, I will be skiing either in West Virginia (with family) or in Colorado (with a new job). Then I won't care how cold or snowy it gets. :)

Anthony Caruana
12-16-2003, 09:23 PM
The funky thing about the weather in Melbourne is that last week we had a "once in a hundred years" storm last week. Heavy, persistent rain and hail for several hours. Lots of property damage but, fortunately, no loss of life. One of Melbourne's major freeways had sections under a meter of water in just under a couple of hours.

They say that we Melbourneites are used to having all four seasons in a single day as the weather can be quite changeable

Janak Parekh
12-16-2003, 09:56 PM
The funky thing about the weather in Melbourne is that last week we had a "once in a hundred years" storm last week. Heavy, persistent rain and hail for several hours. Lots of property damage but, fortunately, no loss of life.
What's a typical rainfall? Heavy rain comes here fairly often, but I don't associate it with property damage that frequently. Maybe you and I are using a different definition of heavy.

--janak

maximus
12-17-2003, 02:30 AM
The grass is greener... :lol:
--janak

:p

Problem is, I just got back from a business trip from shanghai, china last weekend. The average temperature is -5 centigrade. Imagine going through the transition from -5 and +38 in the same day :p

famousdavis
12-18-2003, 06:50 PM
This weather IS awful!

Last night, I had to turn on the central heater! If the tonight's overnight low dips below 50 degrees for the second night in a row, my electric bill could well rise over $100 (US)!

Then this morning, I had to put on a long-sleeved shirt (instead of my usual polo shirt) and my wife practically forced me to don a jacket to keep warm on the way to my truck.

What?! Why are you scorning me like that???

:twisted:

Janak Parekh
12-18-2003, 07:33 PM
Last night, I had to turn on the central heater! If the tonight's overnight low dips below 50 degrees for the second night in a row, my electric bill could well rise over $100 (US)!
:twak: :twak: :twak:

;)

--janak

Anthony Caruana
12-18-2003, 09:19 PM
The funky thing about the weather in Melbourne is that last week we had a "once in a hundred years" storm last week. Heavy, persistent rain and hail for several hours. Lots of property damage but, fortunately, no loss of life.
What's a typical rainfall? Heavy rain comes here fairly often, but I don't associate it with property damage that frequently. Maybe you and I are using a different definition of heavy.

--janak

Heavy in Melb = 4 inches in a about an hour when the storm hit plus hail the size of golfballs. Funnily enough, there wasn't much wind. This meant that the storm stayed for several hours. Ususally here storms blow through with a strong associated wind but thsi one just stayed and stayed...

On the upside, there are some car yards selling cars cheaply cos of the hail damage. My brother bought a "damaged" car a few years ago following a hail storm and we could never find the hail damage but the car was about 30% cheaper.

Janak Parekh
12-18-2003, 09:52 PM
4 inches an hour!?!?!?! 8O 8O 8O You're not kidding. A couple inches in a day is considered a lot in NY.

--janak

Anthony Caruana
12-19-2003, 06:06 AM
4 inches an hour!?!?!?! 8O 8O 8O You're not kidding. A couple inches in a day is considered a lot in NY.

Yeah - it was a big downpour. A friend was out on the Great Victorian Bike Ride and got home a couple of days later to discover all he carpet and recently laid floating timber floor detroyed (not to mention the smell of wet carpet)

That said, this was a once in a 100 years storm accorising to the Australian Bereau of Meteorology

Can you believe though that a week later the temp was over 90 degs f for 3 or 4 days?