View Full Version : How did you acquire your current PocketPC ?

dMores
12-14-2003, 09:56 PM
Just wondering how many people out there have to buy their own gadgets, and how many get them from their company.

shawnc
12-14-2003, 11:37 PM
how many get them from their company.

Yeah, I wish :evil: !

Candygogo
12-14-2003, 11:37 PM
I usually purchase my pdas...maybe one or two were bought for me in the past, but for the most part I've been my own Santa Claus :wink:

jmkeuning
12-15-2003, 12:16 AM
father in law works for Comapq. bought one from him, lost it in a movie theater, bought another off of a guy in a forum.

PoweriPaq
12-15-2003, 04:35 AM
You don't have a gift from someone in your poll.

disconnected
12-15-2003, 05:29 AM
Or a trade-in/trade-up with a CompUSA warranty.

DimensionZero
12-15-2003, 06:19 AM
Yah. Mine was a gift! :D

pocketpcfox
12-15-2003, 11:48 AM
Yah. Mine was a gift! :D

Wow! Nice friend!

dMores
12-15-2003, 12:28 PM
i left out "gift" since that will most probably fall into the "buy it yourself" category. unless you get it as a gift from your company/boss etc.

i want to see if private or company money is being spent on ppcs.
(it's part of my research for my BA)

thanks for the votes so far. keep it going :)

Thinkingmandavid
12-15-2003, 03:53 PM
BA in what?
I bought mine but use if for work. I would not mind if they did buy me one but then again I would not want to give it back to them when I left :)

dh
12-15-2003, 04:17 PM
i want to see if private or company money is being spent on ppcs.
A lot of companies buy thousands of PDAs, drug companies for their sales reps for example. A company I was working with won a contract to supply over 2,500 PPCs plus sales automation software and networking which was a nice order. They went with Axims so that they had the option to use a CF barcode scanner. Since this kind of application is usually in an office, they didn't see the need to use the more industrial type PPCs like Symbol or Metronic.

I bet that most of these users see the PPC as just another tool for their job, rather than being enthusiasts and visiting sites like this. It would be really interesting to discover the proportion of PDA sales that go to business's but I don't remember ever seeing any numbers floating around.
BA in what?
I bought mine but use if for work. I would not mind if they did buy me one but then again I would not want to give it back to them when I left :)
I'm the same. At times when I've had my own business, the company has bought them, but I'm an employee at the moment and could have charged my Axim as an expense. Like you, I would not want to have to give it back and I use it for my own stuff as well, so buying it myself was the sensible thing to do.

Mitch D
12-15-2003, 04:31 PM
Hmmm...your missing an option... How about...

"Knocked out passing Business Man/Woman!"

:wink:

Hey it's monday morning what can I say?

maximus
12-16-2003, 07:16 AM
Just wondering how many people out there have to buy their own gadgets, and how many get them from their company.

Instead of increasing staffs' salary, my company prefers to give gadgets away. The latest giveaway was an XDA II. A nice device. Anyone lives in indonesia, and want a cheap XDA II ? :mrgreen:

Vulcan
12-16-2003, 09:11 AM
I bought mine myself.....At least I got to pick exactly what I wanted.

dMores
12-20-2003, 10:08 PM
ba (hons) multimedia arts.

not much to do with multimedia, but i hang around internet forums for about 15 hours a day, so i made this my "thesis-theme".

:)

anyhow, i know only a handful of people who have company-pdas, one of them was able to keep it for a minor fee of US$ 200 when he retired.
(psion S5)

moosemastafoo
12-22-2003, 04:31 AM
I'm getting my X3 for a gift, but my aunt's company gave her an Ipaq. when I visited her, I wanted to use it but the battery was dead. :cry:

Mike Temporale
12-23-2003, 02:04 PM
I work for myself. And as such, I talked myself into buying me my device. :lol:

I have also decided that if I ever find myself in the position where I have to let myself go, I will let me keep my iPAQ, ThinkPad, Desktop, Mobile Phone, and other gadgets that the company has bought me. I think it's the right thing to do, and it will keep me from getting mad at me for letting me go. :mrgreen: :?

Chief78CJ7
12-23-2003, 09:09 PM
My company wanted to me to have access to our Corporate database servers within about 10 minutes of notification to be able to fail them over.

This has provided me with the need for PocketDBA, which runs on PocketPC. So I have an iPAQ h5555. I also need data connectivity to our Corp lan, so I have a Sierra Aircard 755 with AT&T service. I've had this whole setup less than a week now. I have the Unlimited bandwidth service plan.. and of course the Aircard works on my iPAQ or my laptop.

I can't get connected from my home so I may try and see if Verizon data service will reach my house. I of course would love to have a bluetooth Verizon phone, but they aren't offered yet--at least officially.

I'd much prefer to carry a bluetooth phone and PDA and a bluetooth capable laptop.

Having an Aircard, I of course already have PocketIRC and PocketICQ loaded.. funny that the MSN Messenger on the PDA won't fire up. It gives a message that it's too out of date to connect to their IM network. I have so many things to play with I haven't updated that yet. It'd be sweet if there were a PocketTrillian.. :)

Anyway.. I'm happy with my PDA so far, it's been less than a week and most of my friends and family will get to watch me geek out at the holiday dinner on the new GPRS Aircard.. heh.. I gotta have my links/etc setup so I have enough 'oh that's cool' stuff loaded. heh... gotta love it... :)