View Full Version : What does this mean???

Dave Potter
12-14-2003, 06:02 PM
I have three email accounts set up on my iPAQ 1935. All three were working great a couple of days ago. When I tried to used them last night, I got the following error message:

"Messages cannot be downloaded to your mobile device. Make sure you are connected and that your e-mail account settings are correct. Then, try to download messages again"

The connection to the email server is happening OK and I can send email. It seems to know that email is there - but it won't download it. The email messages are nothing more than test messages I sent myself from my desktop PC.

I have checked all the settings several times and they are absolutely correct. It's not my ISP either - I can check and retrieve messages with these accounts from my desktop.

Has anyone seen this before? Please help!

Dave Potter
12-14-2003, 06:29 PM
Aha!

I figured it out. Each account was setup correctly. Nonetheless, when I deleted each account and then re-created it - it fixed the problem. As much as I love my PPC I must constantly remind myself - it does use a Microsoft operating system.

WyattEarp
12-14-2003, 08:55 PM
Interesting, but do you known what the underlying problem was?

Jason Dunn
12-14-2003, 09:32 PM
I sometimes see this. Shut down Pocket Inbox and reload it, or do a soft reset, and things will work again.

robshobs
12-14-2003, 09:50 PM
Shoot. I am having the same problem all of a sudden. One of my accounts will not contact the server. Guess I'll have to delete it again. I hate having to lose my folders and messages.

Dave Potter
12-14-2003, 10:54 PM
I sometimes see this. Shut down Pocket Inbox and reload it, or do a soft reset, and things will work again.

When it first started happening - those were the 1st things I tried. Neither worked. I must had soft reset the damn thing 10 times. I even tried restoring to the previous days backup - no luck. So, I restored a two day old backup - no luck again.

It was then that I started this thread. Immediately after writing my appeal for help. I decided that I had nothing to lose by deleting each account and then re-creating it.

Underlying problem? My best guess is that I am dealing with a Microsoft product. But, hey, who really knows???!?!

maximus
12-15-2003, 02:21 AM
I got that message quite sometimes already, and I always thought that it is caused by either the unstable GPRS connection that I am using, or the mail server availability.

I also installed 3 different accounts on my PPC inbox.

Hmm..

Dave Potter
12-15-2003, 03:23 AM
I was/am using a WiFi connection via my home network. During my search for a solution, I even checked my MS 802.11b router and the security settings. I played around with application triggered and persistant port forwarding and even tried setting my PPC up in a virtual DMZ as a means of eliminating the router/firewall as the source of the problem.

I exhausted every possibility before finally deleting the three accounts and then re-creating them. Everything that I know as a long established propeller head tells me that shouldn't have worked - but it did.

Vincent M Ferrari
12-15-2003, 03:36 AM
Everything that I know as a long established propeller head tells me that shouldn't have worked - but it did.

And the great thing about being a propellerhead is that there are always things that fly directly in the face of everything you know...