View Full Version : Breaking News: Saddam has been captured...

Mike Temporale
12-14-2003, 01:39 PM
ALIVE !

http://news.google.ca/news?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&edition=ca&q=saddam+hussein+captured

I never thought they would get him, let alone alive.

delfuhd
12-14-2003, 04:57 PM
Yes, I heard that this morning... I was watching SNL last night and fell asleep, and awoke this morning in my dreary state only to listen to a guy talk about "finding Saddam in a hole."
None of it registered in my brain, and I leaned over and turned the TV off and went back to sleep..

Vincent M Ferrari
12-14-2003, 05:37 PM
It's a great day for the world. Another murderous tyrant removed completely from power and reduced to a tongue depressor in the mouth and a head-lice check...

So much for the feared Sadam... :beer:

dh
12-14-2003, 05:43 PM
Great day for the Bush family in any case. Plenty more murderous tyrants in that part of the World to fill the void, I'm sure they'll continue to hate us just the same.

Plenty of room for a lot of lice, crabs and even rodents in that beard eh? :)

xoiph
12-14-2003, 05:47 PM
I'm glad he's been captured and will be put to justice.

sublime
12-14-2003, 05:49 PM
Now the question is, what are they going to do to him?

I'd say they should cut off his testicles. Let's all sign a petition to have his testicles cut off.

Signature x____________________

well, maybe not...

PocketPC Addict
12-14-2003, 05:50 PM
It's a great day for the world. Another murderous tyrant removed completely from power and reduced to a tongue depressor in the mouth and a head-lice check...

So much for the feared Sadam... :beer:

I couldn't help but think about the rumors that were circulating that he and Osama are CIA agents. Wonder what this news will do for those rumors. Is he still a CIA agent? Is Osama still one? Did the CIA give him head lice and tell him to hide out in a hole? :silly:

dh
12-14-2003, 05:50 PM
Now the question is, what are they going to do to him?

I'd say they should cut off his testicles. Let's all sign a petition to have his testicles cut off.
The fact he gave up without a fight suggests someone has beaten you to it.

Vincent M Ferrari
12-14-2003, 06:11 PM
Plenty more murderous tyrants in that part of the World to fill the void, I'm sure they'll continue to hate us just the same.

Hey... Gotta start somewhere... You can't not deal with tyrants because there are other tyrants and you can't deal with them all at once.

Fishie
12-14-2003, 07:10 PM
Plenty more murderous tyrants in that part of the World to fill the void, I'm sure they'll continue to hate us just the same.

Hey... Gotta start somewhere... You can't not deal with tyrants because there are other tyrants and you can't deal with them all at once.

True but it would be nice if the US would stop supporting *******s like him to begin with.
Im glad he is captured but hey wasnt that Rumsfeld shaking Saddam´s hand in the 80s and declaring him a great friend and ally of the US and wasnt it the CIA claiming Saddam didnt do nothing and it was Iran who was gassing the Kurds in the north and its own soldiers, and while we are at it wasnt it US ambasador for Iraq April Glaspie who told Saddam that the US would regard it as an internal Arab matter if he was to Invade Quwait and thus the US wouldnt meddle?

There is a reason why so many people in the region have a deep rooted distrust in the US and not all of that has to do with Palestine, there are plenty of other examples from all over the world and yes to this day the hipocrasy continues and as the worlds sole superpower the resentment against US words and its actions will sadly continue(recent example Bush his remarks to Taiwan)

Im glad Saddam is gone, I was one of those who protested the aid he got from Europe and the US in the 70s and the 80s, how about the creation of such people is finaly stopped?
How about there is real support for democraticaly elected leaders even if their policies are not to oure direct liking instead of sidelining them and supporting military coups or whatever and trying to work with them for a greater good(unlike whats hapening in Venezuela, Palestine, Taiwan etcetera etcetera).

This capture for me is bittersweet,

Vincent M Ferrari
12-14-2003, 07:37 PM
Fine Fishie. But keep in mind why it was important to set Saddam and Iran against each other in the eighties.You don't understand now, and you never will.

And if the arrest, capture, most likely conviction and imprisonment (and maybe death) of one of the most brutal dictators in our lifetime to you is bittersweet, so be it. I'd prefer to think him being put away is a good thing both for the world and Iraq.

I'm not going any further with you on this, because as with previous discussions on anything related to the world, as you put it (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=188356&highlight=#188356), "you scare me."

dh
12-14-2003, 08:09 PM
Yes, it is good that Saddam will get his just deserts in good time. Fishie is right that the US had a big role supporting Saddam in the past. Other countries have to share a lot of the blame as well.

There was an opportunity to allow the Arabs to set up a real independant state after the First World War, but it was screwed by the French, despite the efforts of the US. The UK destabilised the area by then allowing large scale unlawful Jewish immigration into Palestine which had been a Muslim area for hundreds of years, after being part of the Christian Byzantine Empire for hundreds of years before that.

The United Nations proceeded to make things worse after the Second World War by failing to enforce their own mandate on the partition of Palestine which Israel is in violation of to this day. Rather odd that the US will go to war to support the UN resolutions against Saddam but somehow ignores the equally binding ones against Israel.

Fishie
12-14-2003, 08:26 PM
Fine Fishie. But keep in mind why it was important to set Saddam and Iran against each other in the eighties.You don't understand now, and you never will.

And if the arrest, capture, most likely conviction and imprisonment (and maybe death) of one of the most brutal dictators in our lifetime to you is bittersweet, so be it. I'd prefer to think him being put away is a good thing both for the world and Iraq.

I'm not going any further with you on this, because as with previous discussions on anything related to the world, as you put it (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=188356&highlight=#188356), "you scare me."

I understand all too well, the Shah was instated as dictator in Iran with the help of the CIA becouse the DEMOCRATICALY ELECTED government in Iran was not to the liking of the US and big US corporations, Saddam was good friends with the Shah and helped him in several ways.
Saddam dspite his reign of terror became the darling of the middle east for the west.
I am from the region and im sure that my background knoledge in this is far greater then youre black and white vision of the world, when you made youre re entry to this board I posted a message saying that you scare me, I stand by that and now you know WHY you scare me.

uiop_z
12-14-2003, 08:46 PM
yes its a good thing Saddam was captured, but it might have been better if he were killed in action... that way we would be spared the spectacle of a trial...

Fine Fishie. But keep in mind why it was important to set Saddam and Iran against each other in the eighties.

using other people in ideological games are perfectly fun. Sell one side biological weapons, stir the pot, and watch all the fun on tv. Its all perfectly fine as long as no American lives are lost. After all who cares if if thousands of Arabs / Africans / Asians / South Americans die as long as Americans have cheap oil. :roll:

and Americans wonder why much of the rest of the world hates them....

The United Nations proceeded to make things worse after the Second World War by failing to enforce their own mandate on the partition of Palestine which Israel is in violation of to this day. Rather odd that the US will go to war to support the UN resolutions against Saddam but somehow ignores the equally binding ones against Israel.

The UN security council is a complete joke. Its a nice little club of white boys + china, that the US sometimes finds useful / sometimes not. No resolutions agains Israel can be passed because of a blanket US veto, even if every single other country in the world disagrees. At the same time the Palestinians / Arabs have no representation / veto power, so its easy to get resolutions passed against them and use that as a pretense for war....

Skoobouy
12-14-2003, 08:47 PM
One hand here raised in agreement with Fishie. Not only does this victory do very little real good in the situation, it only secures the already pretty-much-in-the-bag reelection of President Bush. Yay, now we can keep on fighting the War Against "Terrorism" (TM), a word whose definition nobody can agree on.

And everbody who says "yay, we bagged another evil dictator" not only forgets that the US is so often responsible for these dictators, but also that our only justification for unilateral action against the UN was false reports of weapons of mass destruction by an incompetent US "Intelligence".

Look, I don't hate Bush. In fact, I give him a big thumbs up for keeping France out of reconstruction. (Until I see Chirac hung by his toes for the recent "no religious symbols" ruling, I've lost all respect for the French leadership). But since Bush we've seen nothing but a trashed economy, a trashed UN, a trashed dollar, a trashed civil rights consciousness, and every American priority of life subsumed under the almost mystically ambiguous goal of "fighting terrorism." </rant>

Fishie
12-14-2003, 08:48 PM
No the US did the right thing by not killing him.
Killing him would mean he becomes a martyr for many and martyrs are dangerous, this way his light will fade and so will his influence.

Fishie
12-14-2003, 08:51 PM
Hey Skou, youre from Texas, has living in Belgium for a while now changed youre outlook on things any?

Duncan
12-14-2003, 09:06 PM
Bearing in mind how many democracies the US has toppled in order to install (US friendly) dictators - it is reassuring to see them get things the right way round for once!

Oh and I second Fishie - I've seen your blog vincenzosi and you *are* seriously scary...!

Vincent M Ferrari
12-14-2003, 09:09 PM
:bawl:

I'm hurt...

Really...

Jason Dunn
12-14-2003, 09:25 PM
As usual, politics and this site do not mix. The same cast of characters can't seem to discuss this rationally without resorting to insults and petty comments. Thread locked - please go elsewhere for political venting.