View Full Version : Pocket Backup - a life saver!

Dave Potter
12-13-2003, 06:38 PM
Ok - so maybe I'm being overly dramatic - it didn't actually save my life. But it did save me a whole lot of pain and anguish this morning.

I got a SDIO WiFi card last week and quickly and easily setup ActiveSync over WiFi. It's worked great since then - until this morning. Suddenly and for no apparent reason, Activesync wouldn't connect to my desktop anymore. I checked all the settings and tried connecting over and over again with no joy.

So, I decided to try restoring from the backup I did last night using Pocket Backup (which I purchased a few weeks ago). After a couple of moments and a soft reset - Bingo - all is right with the world again.

Lessons I've learned from this experience.

1) Backup every day
2) Don't delete your old backup files - keep as many as your can afford (space wise).
3) The few minutes it takes to perform a backup each day is worth it. Much less hassle than the hours it likely would have taken me to troubleshoot and fix the problem without a backup. I likely would have had to do a hard reset and reinstall everything from scratch (does the phrase "pain in the a$$" mean anything to you?)

Jason Dunn
12-13-2003, 06:49 PM
And it just so happens that this week there will be a 33% discount coupon for subscribers (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php). Watch for it if you don't yet have this awesome app. :-)

Dave Potter
12-13-2003, 07:19 PM
Wow - you'd almost think that we got together and planned that, wouldn't you?

(Just so everyone knows - we did not)

dh
12-13-2003, 07:43 PM
Even without the discount, Pocket Backup is a MUST HAVE.

It has saved me more than once, and since I don't take my laptop when I travel, having a backup on my CF card is great peace of mind. One of the best PPC apps.

buckyg
12-14-2003, 05:12 AM
I agree, it's a MUST HAVE with or without the discount. It has "saved my life" many times (or at least my sanity and countless hours...)

tanalasta
12-14-2003, 06:58 AM
Ditto... it's fast, reliable (mostly!) and restores your device to a near perfect state! As if nothing ever went wrong in the first place.... :)

I usually keep only 3 backups on my device.... and copy excesses over to my computer via the cradle. That's only because i have a 128MB SD card but a 4GB hard-disk on my desktop!