View Full Version : iPaq > T616 "Dial via Bluetooth" Problem

brianchris
12-12-2003, 07:20 PM
I own an iPaq 5455 (upgraded to the new Windows Mobile 2003 OS) and have it paired to a T616 on AT&T Wireless. I used to use that iPaq with a SE T68. One of the feautres that worked great with the iPaq / T68 bluetooth union was, in the iPaq's contacts, you could right-click (or tap and hold for you PPC folks out there), and among the options that appeared was a selection called "Dial via Bluetooth." What this would do would simply transfer the phone number to be voice dialed to the paired phone which would then dial it, all via Bluetooth.

Although I have the T616 successfully paired, and can use dial-up GPRS just fine, and manually connect to its two availible Bluetooth serial ports, that "Dial via Bluetooth" functionality doesn't work. The error indicates the serial port profile is not availbe on the phone (T616), but remeber I can manually connect to the two Bluetooth serial ports on the T616. I really need / miss that feature, and would love to get it back.

I can't be sure, but I believe the problem is due to the fact, in the iPaq's Bluetooth pairing Wizard, I get the best overall results selecting "pair with a cell phone," but then pops up a very limited list of phones to choose from (the T68 & 68i are both in there, but not too much else, and certainly not the T616). So I choose the "other or not known" option. Again, pairs fine, serial ports connect manually, but the little "dial via Bluetooth app" doesn't work. I've tried telling the iPaq its a T68, and a T68i, but same results.

Honestly, if anyone can suggest anything to successfully get that "Dial via Bluetooth" feature on the iPaq working with my T616, I'd order them a pizza from Pizza Hut's website :beer:

Thanks in advance!

-Brian

Que92
12-16-2003, 06:58 PM
brianchris, I got mine to work on an h2210 with no issues. As long as it's paired to the serial connection it should work. Have you tried a soft reset? Mined locked up once and I did the soft reset and re-paired the phone and Ipaq. This worked for me. Question for the group, has anyone been able to send pop3 email using the h2210/15 and T616? I can receive email on my pop3 account, but not send out.

brianchris
12-17-2003, 10:51 PM
brianchris, I got mine to work on an h2210 with no issues. As long as it's paired to the serial connection it should work. Have you tried a soft reset? Mined locked up once and I did the soft reset and re-paired the phone and Ipaq. This worked for me. Question for the group, has anyone been able to send pop3 email using the h2210/15 and T616? I can receive email on my pop3 account, but not send out.

Thanks for your reply. I will try your suggestion, but I believe I have already done so. I believe your success is becuase you have different hardware, however it is useful to know that an iPaq running WM2003 can do this with a T61x.

I can, perhaps, return the favor, and answer your question: I know of no ISP's that don' secure their SMTP servers (for SPAM reasons). How do they secure them? Some just require a username and password to use the SMTP server (and often that's the same username and password as your POP3 settings). This is the best way to secure, as all you have to do is change some settings in the PPC email program. Another way ISP's secure access to their SMTP server is by physical connection. In other words, if your SMTP server is Charter (just for example), and your on a non-Charter Internet connection, there is *no* way to use their SMTP server.

How are you connecting to the Internet when you have these SMTP problems? Contact that ISP and ask them how they secure their SMTP server and (hopefully) configure accordingly.

-Brian

Que92
12-18-2003, 03:53 AM
Brian. My ISP is Cox Cable. When I use the Ipaq it's either in the cradle or the t616. Cradle downloads and sends everything through activesync. The T616 will download everything, but I get "invalid message recipient" from the system admin on every email that i try to send out.

brianchris
12-18-2003, 03:47 PM
Brian. My ISP is Cox Cable. When I use the Ipaq it's either in the cradle or the t616. Cradle downloads and sends everything through activesync. The T616 will download everything, but I get "invalid message recipient" from the system admin on every email that i try to send out.

Whe you use the T616 for Internet access, your ISP is no longer COX, it is your wireless provider (I believe the T616 is an AT&T Wireless phone, is that your wireless provider)? What I believe is happening, is COX secures their SMTP server by physical connection, and when you're using your T616 for Internet access, you're no longer using a COX connection (its an AT&T Wireless connection), and therefore you can't communicate with COX's SMTP server. Call COX and verify this.

EVEN is this is the problem, there are solutions. Namely, you have to find a thrid party SMTP server, and probably pay them to use it. Personally, I use a hosted Exchange solution so I can send a recieve email from any connection and any device (www.eoutlook.com)

-Brian

Que92
12-19-2003, 02:22 PM
Brian, My t616 is through AT&T. I'll look into getting another ISP or email account, like yahoo and see if that works. Thanks.

Jeff

warptime
12-19-2003, 03:23 PM
Brian,

The T616 may not be able to send via SMTP. If I remember correctly I saw something about that on Howard Forums (http://www.howardforums.com). They have some fairly active cell phone forums. I just bought my phone, a T610 on t-mobile, and have not had time to find a work around.

Ron