View Full Version : Difference between 1910 and 1915?

NocTurnerV
12-12-2003, 02:09 AM
Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I can't seem to find any prior postings myself, so I'll ask away...

Does anyone know what the difference between the 1910 and the 1915 units are? I'm curious, because Best Buy has been carrying the 1915 in a lot of their stores for $199, and it appears to be virtually the same handheld as the 1910. However, the screen doesn't look as sharp...in fact, some Best Buys have 1915's on display that have the god-awful "yellowing" that the 1940 series had.

So my question is, does anyone know any specific differences between the two? Is it just me, or are the screens different? Does the 1915 perhaps have SDIO capabilities, or am I looking at virtually the same device?

I'm looking to get back into the PPC game after having spent the last year and a half or so with a Palm-based Treo, and I'd love to go back to a 1910 (had one briefly last December) if I'm gonna get back into it. Any feedback would be appreciated!

PetiteFlower
12-12-2003, 03:07 AM
They are the same device exactly. The different numbers are for marketing purposes.

joelkx
12-17-2003, 01:16 AM
Yepp. The hxxx0 ussually for Asia market and hxxx5 for USA market. That marketing strategy by hp. Acctually no any different between this number.

Janak Parekh
12-17-2003, 02:26 AM
Yepp. The hxxx0 ussually for Asia market and hxxx5 for USA market. That marketing strategy by hp. Acctually no any different between this number.
Actually, it was different in this case -- the 1910 was initially sold in the US, and the 1915 in Europe. So, don't put any meaning into it. ;)

However, the screen doesn't look as sharp...in fact, some Best Buys have 1915's on display that have the god-awful "yellowing" that the 1940 series had.
Were you looking head-on at the display? The 1910 will yellow at an angle too -- just that, from what I hear, the 1930s and 1940s are a bit more sensitive anglewise. On the other hand, it's possible that they put the same "newer" screen in the 1915.

--janak

PetiteFlower
12-17-2003, 04:36 AM
Yeah I've heard so many different explanations for what the 5 or the 0 stand for and I haven't seen anything to convince me that ANY of them are correct. That's why I didn't specify a reason :)

stevemw
12-24-2003, 12:54 AM
Actually in the case of the 3800 and 3900 series, device models ending in 0 (3970, 3950) are sold directly from HP (Compaq Small Business); devices ending in 5 are sold at retail stores (CompUSA, BestBuy). It's sounding like the numbering is model-specific.

Janak Parekh
12-24-2003, 03:11 AM
Actually in the case of the 3800 and 3900 series, device models ending in 0 (3970, 3950) are sold directly from HP (Compaq Small Business); devices ending in 5 are sold at retail stores (CompUSA, BestBuy). It's sounding like the numbering is model-specific.
Maybe, but I don't think your answer is 100% complete. ;) I got my 3870 from an online retailer (Microwarehouse). It did come in a "brown" Compaq box, though, not a glossy retail box.

--janak

gai-jin
12-24-2003, 05:37 AM
I used to repair toshiba, hp, and compaq laptops. At the time, the 0 and 5 in model numbers (or 00 and 50, etc) were used in some fashion by all of these companies. Two identical units, with different model numbers. The difference was that one (Usuall the 0 or 00) was the 'businiess' line model. Typically more expensive, sold to businesses directly or through vendors who catered to business customers. The 05 or 50 lines were usually the consumer lines, sold through retail stores, or direct from manufacturer to end users. These models were typically less expensive, sometimes had a different software load, but the major difference was that at the time the consumer models had only a 1 year warranty, where business models often carried as high as a 3 year warranty.

I believe they've done away with the 3 year warranties now, but AFAIK, the numbering schemes have remained the same.

Gai-jin