View Full Version : We're Seeking a PHP Code Warrior

Jason Dunn
12-11-2003, 07:00 PM
We have no shortage of plans for improvement here at Pocket PC Thoughts, but what we do have is a shortage of volunteers to help us do the cool things we think up. :-) Fabrizio can do anything I ask him to, but he's only one person, and my list of ideas for him to implement is longer than you'd believe!<br /><br />So here's what we're looking for: someone who's capable of writing tight, clean PHP code, often something that will integrate with our phpBB database. A familiarity with phpBB would hurt either. This is a volunteer position, but there are many benefits to being on the Pocket PC Thoughts team (just look at our low turnover rate! :lol: ). One of the first projects you'd be working on would be a contest script that would allow us to have many more contests (and bigger contests) by minimizing the workload needed in picking and contacting winners. So you'll also get the adulation of our community for making it easier for them to win stuff. :mrgreen: The contest script is only the beginning however - you'll get to flex your chops in new ways, because there's no shortage of ideas flowing on how to make this site even cooler.<br /><br />Please contact me directly by emailing jason at pocket pc thoughts dot com if this is something you're interested in.<br /><br /><b>UPDATE:</b> If you can also write object oriented PHP code as well, that would be a big bonus.

entropy1980
12-11-2003, 07:05 PM
Here's my contest script.....

$username == entropy1980;

if username == entropy1980;
{winner!};

else

{entropy1980 is the winner};

:lol:

sub_tex
12-11-2003, 08:07 PM
That's not bad, but I prefer this one:
if ($contestForNewPDA){
$winner = "sub_tex;
}else{
$sub_tex->paypalAccountDonation+= $300;
}

:D

Ed Hansberry
12-11-2003, 08:17 PM
You should also have excellent Haiku skills so that when your php code breaks the site, you can put up a Haiku page to inform everyone as to why the site isn't working. :lol:

fletch
12-11-2003, 08:43 PM
Im a little surprised the site is PHP and not ASP :)

darrylb
12-11-2003, 09:03 PM

Dont be. You'll find that community sites are almost always PHP and corporate sites tend to be ASP or someother pay per site system.

PHP is seen as open source (and community supported), and ASP is seen as supported by a company (which is what corporates generally like).

Jason Dunn
12-11-2003, 09:13 PM

Up until very recently, to get what I was getting in Linux land for $500 would have cost $1500+ in Windows land. That's just not feasible for me. That's changed recently though, as EV1servers (formerly Rackshack) is now offering affordable Windows hosting. We're looking at moving over, but it will take a while to evaluate whether or not it's worth it. :-)

Korlon
12-11-2003, 09:14 PM

Up until very recently, to get what I was getting in Linux land for $500 would have cost $1500+ in Windows land. That's just not feasible for me. That's changed recently though, as EV1servers (formerly Rackshack) is now offering affordable Windows hosting. We're looking at moving over, but it will take a while to evaluate whether or not it's worth it. :-)

JSP, Tomcat. 'nuff said. :wink:

Jason Dunn
12-11-2003, 09:16 PM
Hey, enough of this PHP vs. ASP yammering - this is supposed to be about developers. :lol:

James Fee
12-11-2003, 09:29 PM
Hey, enough of this PHP vs. ASP yammering - this is supposed to be about developers. :lol:
I just bought this book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764541668/qid=1071174532//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl14/102-5654749-7569726?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)... Give me a couple minutes...

Tiberian
12-11-2003, 09:47 PM
You should also have excellent Haiku skills so that when your php code breaks the site, you can put up a Haiku page to inform everyone as to why the site isn't working. :lol:

You mean like this? :)

http://s47.apoillinois.org/error.php

Actually, I've been building our new site using Pocket PC Thoughts as a model. I'm using phpBB as a backend and have coded the main pages to pull content directly out of the forum and additional tables that we are creating to store data proprietary to our organization. The prototype site is here:

http://www.apoillinois.org/test/

I'd welcome comments, but via PM so as not to detract from this thread.

element
12-11-2003, 10:20 PM
Aren't ppct's images copyrighted? Hope you got his permission!

sublime
12-11-2003, 10:52 PM
I'd volunteer for something, but I can't do anything. I'm specializing in English at University, so unless you want me to edit or analyze the significance of something, I won't be much help.

:(

OSUKid7
12-11-2003, 11:30 PM
I've been in the process of learning php for about 6 months now, but very informally. I have yet to create a very in-depth site mostly because I haven't learned enough to do that lol...I'm prolly gonna get a php and MySQL book soon, so hopefully I'll learn more there. Just a time issue really :roll: hehe

Tiberian
12-11-2003, 11:54 PM

The icon for posts was only to be used as a spacer while I designed my own. I thought that I'd overwritten the PPCT design with my own. Turns out I had overwritten the image on my testing server only and not the actual web server. I apologize for the error.

MacBirdie
12-12-2003, 03:08 AM
If I only had some more time I could be your PHP Samurai again some time, Jason. ;)

trepine
12-12-2003, 04:34 AM
&lt;?PHP

$PHPwarrior = new programmerContest;
$PHPwarrior->setContest("PHP Coding Warrior");
$PHPwarrior->setProgrammer("trepine");

print "&lt;B>AND THE WINNER IS: &lt;/B>";

$PHPwarrior->determineWinner();

class programmerContest{
var $nickName;
var $contest;

function setContest($useContest){
$this->contest = $useContest;
}

function setProgrammer($useProgrammerNick){
$this->nickName = $useProgramerNick;
}

function determineWinner(){
if($this->nickName == "trepine")
{
return("winner of " . $this->contest );
}
else
{
return("loser of " . $this->contest );
}
}
}

?>

lurch
12-12-2003, 09:00 AM
I'm a PHP programmer, but if I could ever find enough time (don't I wish), I think that first in line is my site (http://www.missionaryexchange.org) and the (probably shorter) list of ideas I have for it!! :)

element
12-16-2003, 01:35 AM

The icon for posts was only to be used as a spacer while I designed my own. I thought that I'd overwritten the PPCT design with my own. Turns out I had overwritten the image on my testing server only and not the actual web server. I apologize for the error.

I keep forgetting to add :wink: to the end of my sarcastic posts.

:wink: :mrgreen:

Tiberian
12-16-2003, 02:38 AM
Aren't ppct's images copyrighted? Hope you got his permission!...

...I keep forgetting to add :wink: to the end of my sarcastic posts.

Sarcastic or not, Jason PM'd me and gently registered his surprise at the usage. Fortunately you all caught it and I was able to correct the error quickly. Thanks! :)

Tiberian
12-16-2003, 02:38 AM
[quote="Tiberian"][quote=element]Aren't ppct's images copyrighted? Hope you got his permission!

I keep forgetting to add :wink: to the end of my sarcastic posts.

Sarcastic or not, Jason PM'd me and gently registered his surprise at the usage. Fortunately you all caught it and I was able to correct the error quickly. Thanks! :)