View Full Version : calligrapher vs ms transcriber

dragon20
12-11-2003, 03:20 PM
gay guys i have had my pocket pc for afew weeks now and i didnt even know about microsoft transriber and i realised i had it untill i uninstalled the trial version of calligrapher

to be honest i cant see a great deal caligrapher can do that transcriber cant

i mean there are afew things but wat would i really be paying money for?

just wanted to ask if any one else can tell me how many good things this program does

that iam not aware of they are preety much the same i find in recignition of hand writting

so yea any comments

CTSLICK
12-11-2003, 04:37 PM
gay guys i have had my pocket pc for afew weeks now and i didnt even know about microsoft transriber and i realised i had it untill i uninstalled the trial version of calligrapher

i mean there are afew things but wat would i really be paying money for?

just wanted to ask if any one else can tell me how many good things this program does

that iam not aware of they are preety much the same i find in recignition of hand writting

so yea any comments

I used the trial of the latest Calligrapher and started using PenCommander short cuts. Then the trial expired so I tried to go without it. I REALLY missed the PenCommander short cuts...I did not realize how much I had used them until they were gone. Needless to say I paid for Calligrapher shortly thereafter.

I do believe the character recognition is better with Calligrapher. I have no hard data to back this up. I am basing my opinion on the differences I noted when going back to Transcriber after using Calligrapher. Even with similar letter settings Calligrapher seems more accurate for me. Could be my imagination...who knows.

dh
12-11-2003, 05:27 PM
I do believe the character recognition is better with Calligrapher. I have no hard data to back this up. I am basing my opinion on the differences I noted when going back to Transcriber after using Calligrapher. Even with similar letter settings Calligrapher seems more accurate for me. Could be my imagination...who knows.
I'm the same, I had tried Transcriber and earlier versions of Calligrapher and never got the recognition quality that I needed. The new version of Calligrapher works better for me and has become my main input method.

With the older versions, I used to mess about in the letter shapes menue to try to get the program fine tuned. With V 7, I just set the recognition time to 150ms, left everything else alone and I'm in business.

I found being to fine tune the timer was crucial to success. Too short a time and dotting and crossing can move the curser to the wrong place. Too long a time and the recognition is annoyingly slow.

The single biggest drawback is the lack of integration with Textmaker, so that Calligrapher gestures are not working. I believe this is true with Transcriber as well. When Softmaker and Phatware get it sorted this will be a huge advantage for Calligrapher over Transcriber.

By the way, the name Calligrapher is a trademark of Microsoft and recognized as such in the Phatware documentation. I don't know what the licensing deal is between the two companies, I wonder if it means that Transcriber gets updated when Calligrapher does?

dragon20
12-12-2003, 09:16 AM
thanks for the replys guys, iam not sure i have only had my pocket pc for afew weeks and i didnt even know there was transcriber there , untill i installed the trial version of caligrapher just a question how do you use the short cuts i trying just putting in atm or somthing and nothing came up

i should read the documentation

i actually find it fine to use the key board but yea i think i need to use my pocket pc a bit more and see how i go any more advice and opinion would be great

thanks fellas

Dave Potter
12-12-2003, 05:53 PM

After reading this thread yesterday, I decided to try Calligrapher a try...

I gotta agree with you. I also cannot see much in the way of 'value-add' in Calligrapher. Not for the price they are asking. I didn't find the character recognition any better. And their claim that they can recognize cursive - I don't think so (maybe it's my handwriting)

Personally, I would not wast your money. Get a 'full screen' keyboard (software) or a external (wireless) keyboard instead.

Sven Johannsen
12-12-2003, 06:59 PM
Actually I find that Calligrapher recognizes my cursive better than discretee characters, which is how I normally write. With cursive it has a better context to match the dictionary. I really can't comment much on the relative accuracy between Transcriber and Calligrapher since Calligrapher goes on very soon after a hard reset/rebuild and I don't give Transcriber much of a chance. My PPC stays with Calligrapher as the primary and only SIP. I find no reason to change during the day, because it does all I need.

The two pieces that I find beneficial with Calligrapher is the easily accessible full keyboard. Much more complete than even the built in keyboard SIP and it is convenient and relocatable on the screen. The second is the macros. You do need to spend some time setting some up, but there is a free desktop tool that makes that easier. For things you enter a lot and are hard to recognize, like login names and passwords, I find it invaluable. I can enter 'hm' and circle it and it fills in my hotmail login and then 'hmp' for my hotmail password. Similarly 'em' for my earthlink address and 'emp' for the associated pasword. Yea that exposes the passwords to someone who gets hold of my PPC and reads the macro file, but at that point I don't care because I'm dead and they pried the PPC from my cold dead fingers ;)