View Full Version : Does the cradle for the 4100 suck??

prototype
12-10-2003, 10:45 PM
I got my 4155 the other day and I absolutely hate the cradle. There are no rails on it like the 3000, and 5000 series cradles. Even the cradle for the 1900 was better than this.

I kinda feel like I am trying to balance an egg on a needle when I put it in. :roll:

Is it just me or are others similarly miffed??? 8O

shawnc
12-11-2003, 12:07 AM
Yeah, it's kind of shaky. But the machine is sooooo great that I can live with the cradle. Now, the yellow screen .........

Palmguy
12-11-2003, 12:16 AM
I don't have any real issues with it...my first 4150 had a loose fitting so that it easy went on and off...and my new 4150 that I just got yesterday is very tight...I think that they could have made something a bit more artistic but oh well...

12-11-2003, 12:53 AM
the cradle seems fine to me. little disappointed in the battery life, but what are ya gonna do?

joelevi
12-11-2003, 09:03 PM
I got my 4155 the other day and I absolutely hate the cradle. There are no rails on it like the 3000, and 5000 series cradles. Even the cradle for the 1900 was better than this.

I kinda feel like I am trying to balance an egg on a needle when I put it in. :roll:

I thought the same thing about my 4155 cradle at first, but now that I've used it for a while, it works just fine. I like it better than my wife's 3835 cradle.

joelevi
12-11-2003, 09:04 PM
Yeah, it's kind of shaky. But the machine is sooooo great that I can live with the cradle. Now, the yellow screen .........

The screen is only slightly yellow and only if you're holding it at an angle... if you look straight on it's a very nice, bright white.

It is a phenominal machine... if only their customer service was similar... :: sigh :: :cry:

joelevi
12-11-2003, 09:06 PM
the cradle seems fine to me. little disappointed in the battery life, but what are ya gonna do?

I don't have any problem with battery life (brightness at half, bluetooth and WiFi always on). That said, I could always use more! :twisted:

Have you found any information on the extended battery? It's supposed to be 1800mA rather than the 1000mA that's in there. (Haven't checked those numbers tho.)

12-12-2003, 01:32 AM
I bought the 1800mah battery today at Comp USA. Battery life is excellent, but with the buldge on the bottom back, it looks like a baboons ass. (mywifes observation not mine...however, very accurate description). not much weight is added, but the bulbous back makes insertion into any standard case an exercise in futility. much like teaching a pig to dance, it annoys the pig and frustrates you.

12-12-2003, 01:35 AM
Off topic, I tried the new Toshiba 800 series pda while at comp Usa. WOW! really nice machine. Huge memmory (128megs ram, 32 meg flash storage, and 32 megs rom) Beautiful screen, built in wifi, good sound, expensive as all get out ($599 U.S.) compared to my 4155 ($349 U.S.) but an amazing machine.

shawnc
12-12-2003, 03:00 AM
The screen is only slightly yellow and only if you're holding it at an angle... if you look straight on it's a very nice, bright white.

Unfortunately thats not altogether true. Mine is definitely more extreme than you describe. It goes from slightly yellow to moderately yellow depending on the angle. But it is definitely visible at less than extreme angles.

I think I got one of the bad ones. I'm just not sure if it's worth sending it back.

Tripz
12-12-2003, 06:08 AM
My screen is also yellow when viewed at a slight angle, in fact...if u're not looking at it "dead on" it's always yellow. :? I have noticed one thing tho..this may be a problem with most ppc's out there but it just depends on how you look at it. my guess is it's something to do with one of the "layers" (not sure how many and if there are but i figure...the main lcd, a plastic or glass layer over that then the touch pad layer). My viewsonic for example (one of the best screens out there)....nice white screen BUT if i look at it lets say....angled down and diagonal to the right....i see the same yellow cast.

Oh yeah, getting back on topic....it thought the same thing about my cradle too....i couldn't get the damn ppc in it at first. but like JoeLevi mention'd.....after use, it's not that bad at all.

MLO
12-12-2003, 07:08 PM
No yellow here, and I don't mind the cradle.

Then again, I went from three malfunctioning Toshibas to this, so I might be a bit biased. I seriously love my 4155

MLO