View Full Version : Omega One Journal Bar

sublime
12-10-2003, 10:34 PM
Anyone using it? If so, tell us all about it!

From what I read about it, it looks like its worth buying, but I have a few questions before I do so:

1) How accurate are the weather forecasts? Does it tell you to bring an umbrella on cloudless days?
2) The sports sections: does it tell you boxscores, too, or just the score of the game? If it tells me boxscores then it's definitely worth the money.
3) Expansion pack, anyone? Is it worth the extra money?

PPCMD
12-11-2003, 02:24 AM
I have JB 2.0 running on my I700. Overall I find it very helpful and the weather seems to be accurate for my area. They added a new feature, a progress bar so you can see when the updates are done.

One annoying feature (for Phone edition users anyways) is the update feature tries to dial out when not in the cradle and you could find yourself running up internet time. You can turn this on/off when you want.

I don't see a need for the expansion pack and I don't use the sports scores so I can't answer that.

Overall value is very good.

Dave Potter
12-11-2003, 02:31 AM
A word of caution - test it out before you buy. I was looking for the weather forecasts, but could only get two days in advance in my area (Canada). This was not sufficient for me so I would up buying WeatherToday instead.

sublime
12-11-2003, 03:48 AM
I was an idiot when I first got my ppc and installed a whole lotta trials that I never wound up using. Now that I'm thinking about the program again, I cannot use the trial version, since it already expired.

But what's this "WeatherToday"? I'm from Canada, too, so if you had problems with Journal Bar perhaps I would, too. How is WeatherToday working for you?

Dave Potter
12-11-2003, 05:08 AM
It works well. You can find it on PocketGear - just search for 'WeatherToday'.

Depending on how you decide to configure it, you can get 4 or 5 days of forecasts plus current weather conditions for up to 6 cities. I have mine configured for 4 days as it takes up less 'real estate' on my screen. Accuracy of the weather forecasts are pretty good too and it supports both Fahrenheit and Celsius. With a single click, you can also view detailed forecasts for each city too. All for $10 USD

There is a free trial - hopefully you haven't already tried it :wink:

tanalasta
12-11-2003, 06:47 AM
Personally I'm not all that fond of journal bar as it takes a long time to sync and also has a rather large space on the today screen... The cheapest way to get it is to purchase it in conjunction with battery pack. Many other people like it though... so i'm just one opinion.

All information from journal bar is derived from sources available free on the internet - except its collated into an easy to use application. (e.g. from yahoo weather sources) So the information is relatively accurate! You may be able to restart the trial period by deleting the pre-existing registry key but i'm not sure about the legality of this.

Ripper014
12-11-2003, 09:09 AM
Anyone here heard of Today Plus..?

http://www.dark-mojo.com/TodayPlus/index.php

sublime
12-11-2003, 06:34 PM
I'm actually trying out the Mobisoft Worldmate and the weather update is great so far. I get forecasts five days in advance while Journal Bar (because I'm Canadian) only offers two. Whooopeeee!