View Full Version : Ever Show off your device?

Jon Westfall
12-10-2003, 09:59 PM
Ok, so I am not a person who normally show's off my toys to others. But upon a recent trip to Best Buy, I just couldn't stand listening to some people speaking about pocket PCs who obviously didn't know what they were talking about. Unfortunatly 2 of these people were employees.

So I whipped out my I-Mate (XDA II) and started putting it on packages of cases to see if it would fit in the outline of the case. Of course, this attracts one of the blue-shirts who comes over and says

"Hey, what PDA is that?"

"Its an i-mate"

"Oh... never heard of those"

"Did you ever carry the T-Mobile Pocket PC in this store?"

"Oh yea, the one made by audiovox"

"No, it was made by HTC"

"You sure... I think it was audiovox"

"Yes, it was HTC, anyway, this is the next version of that product line"

"Oh, where did you buy it"

"I had to have it imported from Dubai"

At this point, the best buy employee just gave me a look like "wtf?" and left me alone to chuckle to myself.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

Jason Dunn
12-10-2003, 10:07 PM
I usually restrain myself from getting in the middle of discussions like that, because it's exceedingly difficult to not sound like an arrogant jerk when you tell them they're completely and utterly wrong. :lol:

Dave Potter
12-10-2003, 10:19 PM
By similar experience, do you mean dealing with electronic store sales people who couldn't find their butt with both hands and a map?

We've all encountered them at one point or another. What bugs me is when you hear them 'switching' a customer from one product to another using negative and grossly incorrect information.

For example, I heard one trying to switch someone's interest off an iPAQ 1935 onto a much more expensive Sony (forget which model) by saying that there isn't much software available for PPC's.

What the heck is that!!??!

Fact is that the salesperson was trying to upsell to a more expensive product so that he could get more commission - with absolutely no regard for the customer's needs. I couldn't stand by! I had to interrupt and correct him. The guy seemed to sense that he was being misled too - he basically dismissed the sales guy and asked me for help. In the end, he got what he needed and not what the sales jerk wanted to sell him.

By the way - nothing against salespeople (I am one myself!). As long as they're honest and competent.

sublime
12-10-2003, 11:33 PM
Yeah, I use it to pick up chicks all the time.

"Hey baby, wanna see what I got in my Pocket?"

Ooooo, the innuendo!

Candygogo
12-10-2003, 11:39 PM
I only show off my pda when I'm trying to bring people into the PPC and or pda fold :twisted:

divajess
12-11-2003, 12:33 AM
Two of my co-workers today have come by to play with my iPAQ and hear my schpiel on the Pocket PC. One of them is planning on going out and buying one for his wife's Xmas present--and one for himself!

I also got some questions while waiting for my go-to order today at Corner Bakery. I sat down on their bench and proceeded to start reading my ebook some more. I love showing off my prized PDA!

IntegraPrelude98
12-11-2003, 03:38 AM
I always get tons of questions when I am at group meetings at school. We will agree on a meeting time and everyone whips out their planners and out I bring my axim and everyone starts asking questions in awe. :D

ale2999
12-11-2003, 05:11 AM
the last time it happened, was today when my I was in a restoraunt with friends. they wanted to see the soccer game but had no way to change channell unless they asked the server. so I whipped out my 2210 and voila jaws were dropping at the koolness. I cant even remember how many "how much did it cost and where did u buy it" queries I have received in the last 4 months lol

Brad Adrian
12-11-2003, 05:35 AM
...it's exceedingly difficult to not sound like an arrogant jerk...
I gotta be me...

piperpilot
12-11-2003, 01:58 PM
I love showing off my toy to anyone who expresses an interest in it. And when I have a new "Gee Whiz" application, it's even more irresistible. Playing videos on my iPAQ really seems to impress people the most.

David Prahl
12-11-2003, 02:47 PM
This directly relates to the "Is that a Palm Pilot" flame thread I started a few months ago. Everyone calls everything a Palm Pilot. :evil:

I just got an Axim X3i (for reviewing here, of course!), and I'll be doing demos today in school and at a PC UG tonight.

blusparkles
12-11-2003, 04:31 PM
It's funny - if some random guy starts talking to me on the street, I usually don't give him the time of day. If he asks about my Pocket PC or any of my other mobile devices though ..

Janak Parekh
12-11-2003, 06:50 PM
It's funny - if some random guy starts talking to me on the street, I usually don't give him the time of day. If he asks about my Pocket PC or any of my other mobile devices though ..
That's a double-edged sword, though. I was sitting on the train two days ago hooking up my headphones to my iPod and someone asked:

"Is that an iPod?" "Yes."
"The Dell one or the Apple one?"

At this point, I know he doesn't really know the branding, much like a person who asks me "Is that a Palm Pilot?" At that point, I usually (politely) end the conversation, because I don't feel like lecturing to them. :lol:

On the other hand, if someone were to come up to me and say "is that a Samsung i700 Pocket PC Phone?" I might be more inclined to talk to them. ;)

--janak

Korlon
12-11-2003, 06:58 PM
... "Is that a Palm Pilot?" ...

My first experience with a PDA was doing a prototype application on a Jornada for my former employer. I groaned inwardly every time one of my managers would ask how things were going with the "Palm Pilot." But then, don't we all blow our noses on "Kleenex" and bind our boo-boos with "Band-Aids?"

Anyway, that led me to buy my current Axim X5, which I dearly love and do show off on occasion.

piperpilot
12-11-2003, 06:59 PM
I agree, Janak. When I got my first iPAQ, a 3850, it hadn't been out very long. Someone on the subway here in DC asked me if I had one of the new iPAQs. I instantly had respect for the person and talked to her about it for the whole ride. On the other hand, if someone asks me what kind of "Palm Pilot" I have when I pull out my iPAQ 5455, I make sure to give him or her a short, concise primer on PDAs. Maybe it's the teacher wanna be in me coming out, but one thing's for sure, after I get done with them, they won't ever have to sound so uninformed again :D

piperpilot
12-11-2003, 07:06 PM
But then, don't we all blow our noses on "Kleenex" and bind our boo-boos with "Band-Aids?"

Along with asking for a coke when you don't care if it's Coke, Pepsi, RC. Some other surprising examples of trademarks that have become generic:

Aspirin, Styrofoam, Thermos.

If Palm doesn't watch out and take active steps to protect its trademark rights by pushing generic descriptions for PDAs, such as well, PDAs, they can lose the right to enforce those rights against misapporpriation.

Wow, I guess I done learned SOMETHING in law school :wink:

Janak Parekh
12-11-2003, 09:31 PM
But then, don't we all blow our noses on "Kleenex" and bind our boo-boos with "Band-Aids?"
Big difference, though. Facial tissues all work the same. Ditto for bandages. Not so for handheld devices. ;)

--janak

Korlon
12-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Big difference, though. Facial tissues all work the same. Ditto for bandages. Not so for handheld devices. ;)

--janak

I see your point, but I think it's a matter of perspective. To people who know nothing about PDAs, Palm and PPC are two names for the same thing: a little computer that you carry with you. The difference to them is no more than the difference between a Gateway and a Dell, for example. Both are just PCs.

Perhaps someone as deeply involved in the sterile bandage industry as we are with our Pocket PCs could come and lecture us on the differences between brands? Cloth vs. plastic, etc.

So again - yes, we know the difference, but they don't. I was pointing out other instances of brand names used for similar products by people who don't know any better or don't care.

Spongebob
12-11-2003, 09:48 PM
Candygogo wrote
only show off my pda when I'm trying to bring people into the PPC and or pda fold
Now that is what I like to hear :D Ok, I am not a best buy employee but I am in sales :roll: it is true that some of them are misinformed. Some of that is being taught by those who are not sure or just do not know, for some it is because there is not specifically any great pda training at best buy. They get tid bits sent to them but nothing great.
I have seen them attempt to get customers to go from palm to ppc :D and have seen them say something that is totally incorrect about palm. I do not get involved when I am just browing in the pda section, because then it is just a matter of question after question that I really do not want to deal with.

David Prahl
12-11-2003, 10:46 PM
Like Kleenex?

"Hey, is that paper you're blowing your nose with?" :lol:

DustyLBottoms
12-12-2003, 12:33 AM
More like:

"here's your pomade"

"I don't want Fop G_d D__m it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!