View Full Version : WiFi-BT-GPRS-Wire... It's a Jungle!

Wiggin
12-10-2003, 01:39 AM
I can't resist getting on a :soapbox: and voicing a tad bit of my frustration!
The journey was meant to be an easy stroll down Wireless Lane to create an environment that met my every need. The needs were simple...
Travel with my Laptop, my pda, and my GSM phone, have them all in sync, and never be without a www connection.
The players were the usual crowd:
- Compaq Laptop w/ WiFi
- HP iPaq 4150 with WiFi & BT
- SonyEricsson T610 GSM Phone with BT
- NetGear WiFi b & g Router
- Unlimited WWW via T*Mobile GPRS

The villains who appeared on the journey?? VPN's, WAP, BT Configs, WiFi Configs, WEP, RF Strength, GPRS dial nums, etc. etc. etc.

When it was all said and done, after many phone calls to various tech support folks :helpme: (and let it be said once again... not all Tech Support folks are created equal!!! :bangin: ), and many hours of trying new settings, and power cycling, and retrying, the journey has reached an end. :clap:

Wouldn't it be great to have true ubiquitous computing, where computing devices can understand and communicate with other devices without human intervention? And how about true freedom from wires with devices that can freely ride the electronic waves that are bombarding us 24x7 everywhere we go without a gaggle of competing standards and crazy limitations?

This story has a [happy?] ending, but there was much carnage along the roadside!! It's a jungle out there, and if you take it too seriously, it can drive a guy to :drinking:

ok, [/rant] :silly:

SassKwatch
12-10-2003, 02:48 AM
Wouldn't it be great to have true ubiquitous computing, where computing devices can understand and communicate with other devices without human intervention? And how about true freedom from wires with devices that can freely ride the electronic waves that are bombarding us 24x7 everywhere we go without a gaggle of competing standards and crazy limitations?

Though I don't think I've had quite the discouraging journey you've had, I fully understand your point. The 'personal computing' revolution has been going for what...., roughly 25 yr now.(??) And despite the tremendous amount of progress that's been made in that time, I expect it will take another 25 yr before things will reach the level of ubiquitousness (if there be such a word) you're looking for. I'd *LOVE* to see that as well, just think it's farther off than we might like.

I'm forced to constantly remind our dept management team that to make things as relatively easy for them as it is takes an **awful lot** of work on the back end. Which always brings a chuckle from them as they don't view things as being at all 'easy' on their end. :D