View Full Version : convert 5455 to phone

leesnyder
12-09-2003, 09:34 PM
I have only been able to find a GMS/GPRS jacket from mobileplanet. Are there any others? how about CDMA?

CoreyJF
12-10-2003, 11:36 PM
Are you in the US? I think sprint has a cdma phone card, but I am not sure if that will handle voice as well as data

Chris Spera
12-11-2003, 12:34 AM
The Sprint card WILL handle voice, but Sprint really doesn't want users using it for voice. As such, they have a separate rate plan if you plan to use the card for voice, and it DOESN'T come with any packaged minutes. All voice minutes are like $ 0.25 per minute...

Christopher Spera

12-11-2003, 12:57 AM
it really sucks that HP put the GSM card slot in the unit, with no plans to allow a future phone expansion. For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, if you remove the battery from the 5450 and the 5550 you will find a gsm sim card slot that is ready to accept a card. what you don't hear about is any plans to allow an upgrade. HP would make some serious points, and build even more customer loyalty, if they would activate those ports. my thoughts.

leesnyder
12-11-2003, 01:04 AM
the SIM slot behind the battery is not connected. the form for the 5455 was to be used by the 56xx which appears to have been killed as the OEM for HP (Not actually built by HP) has clearly failed in quality. the only solutoin is some form of Jacket/expansion pack. I have the Sprint CF2031 and it is ok for data but simply not acceptable for voice. it can be used for voice but as the last post says, Sprint does not want this used in this manor so they intentionally stick you with charges to do so. Sprint says something about federal regs or licences for these and similar cards. They also have a disadvantage as you MUST use an ear piece - period.

Therefore. I am looking for another source (or other options) for the only expansion pack i have ever seen at mobile planet.

Any other idea's?????

maximus
12-11-2003, 04:13 AM
I have only been able to find a GMS/GPRS jacket from mobileplanet. Are there any others? how about CDMA?

Second alternative will be to get a CF jacket, and a GPRS CF card (audiovox, dezhou, etc.). How much is the GPRS jacket ?

jutae
12-12-2003, 09:50 PM
This is pretty much same as Maximus. I use a cf jacket (battery powered) and this http://www.convergentech.com/cfgsmgprs.htm.
Works great as phone and wireless internet device. :D