View Full Version : WM 2003 Can't Send Email

bdegroodt
12-09-2003, 04:30 PM
Curious issue on my 4350. I can't seem to send email out via the internet passthrough connection on my company network or at any T-Mobile HotSpots. I get an error message back that says "The message(s) could not be sent. Check that you have network coverage and that your account information is correct. Then try sending again."

I can receive no problem and the SMTP server is on my own personal server, so I'm not blocking the traffic. I can send email off my home network with no problems. Ideas? :idea:

Janak Parekh
12-09-2003, 04:57 PM
I can receive no problem and the SMTP server is on my own personal server, so I'm not blocking the traffic.
Are you implying you have SMTP authentication support in your server? If not, your personal SMTP is not going to relay for you outside of the "home network". If yes, then try configuring a desktop machine in your office, using OE, and make sure the authentication works there before trying it in Inbox.

--janak

bdegroodt
12-09-2003, 05:13 PM
I can receive no problem and the SMTP server is on my own personal server, so I'm not blocking the traffic.
Are you implying you have SMTP authentication support in your server? If not, your personal SMTP is not going to relay for you outside of the "home network". If yes, then try configuring a desktop machine in your office, using OE, and make sure the authentication works there before trying it in Inbox.

--janak

Works without a problem on the desktop/laptop. Just the configuration on the PPC and oddly, only WM 2003 devices seem to stumble (passthrough only tested on 2002). I tried adjusting the outgoing email authentication settings and still rejected. Is there a file that stores something more verbose about the email errors that I can reference?

Janak Parekh
12-09-2003, 05:19 PM
Works without a problem on the desktop/laptop. Just the configuration on the PPC and oddly, only WM 2003 devices seem to stumble (passthrough only tested on 2002). I tried adjusting the outgoing email authentication settings and still rejected. Is there a file that stores something more verbose about the email errors that I can reference?
What SMTP server are you using? As for errors, I generally check the server's logs first and see what it says. I personally don't know if Inbox supports logging (it probably does, but I haven't found it ;))

--janak

bdegroodt
12-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Sendmail 8.11.6-15

Janak Parekh
12-09-2003, 05:37 PM
Sendmail 8.11.6-15
Hmmmm. Weird! We use sendmail 8.11.6 on the PPCT server, and people haven't had trouble using the Pocket PC Inbox, AFAICT. I don't have a PPC2k3 device, but I know Jason does...

--janak

Jason Dunn
12-09-2003, 05:52 PM
I don't have a PPC2k3 device, but I know Jason does...

Works fine for me on a 2003 device, I just check off the box that says "This server requires authentication" and that's it.

Is it possible tha the hotspot you're at is blocking the SMTP port? ie: they only allow people to use port 80 HTTP...?