View Full Version : IPConfig WM 2003 -4350/4150

bdegroodt
12-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Anyone know of a utility to for WM 2003 to release/renew IP settings? For some reason my 4350 keeps hanging up my Linksys WiFi router and every so often after a few minutes of use I can't get to email or the web until I reset the PPC and the router. Kinda kills the idea of being wireless.

A few additional thoughts about this problem- I can see no less than 12 APs in my apartment when I look at the WiFi settings on the PPC. Could this be causing confusion to the PPC? Second, my Linksys routers is one of the originals and I've never updated firmware (read too many complaints about the upgrades.). Any suggestions on replacements? Was thinking about the MSFT 802.11g get up.

Finally, anyone having issues with the 415x/435x wireless profile switcher utility being inconsistent and slow? My bluetooth connections are really hit or miss to my t68i and I'm never able to get a connection to a WiFi AP if I have both BT and WiFi running on the PPC (in spite of the claimed compatibility). Not too impressed with the 4350 so far.

Janak Parekh
12-09-2003, 04:59 PM
Anyone know of a utility to for WM 2003 to release/renew IP settings?
http://www.cam.com/vxipconfig.html

I'll defer answering the other questions to those who own/use a 4xxx unit.

--janak

bdegroodt
12-09-2003, 05:09 PM
Thanks Janak! Any personal experience with the product? I find as I grow older/wiser/more bitter about my PPCs I'm less willing to install software onto it for fear of the newly introduced software wreaking havoc on my otherwise fairly stable OS.

Steven Cedrone
12-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Only thing I can think of: Turn off IEEE 802.1x authentication and see if you still continue to drop your connection...

As far as Release/Renew of DHCP address: try IP Dashboard, (http://www.hudsonmobile.com/products/ipdash/features.html) or vxIPConfig... (http://www.cam.com/vxipconfig.html)

Steve

Janak Parekh
12-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Thanks Janak! Any personal experience with the product?
Cambridge products (vxIPConfig, vxUtil) are extraordinarily lightweight/tiny and I haven't had any interaction issues whatsoever.

Steve: IP Dashboard looks neat! Not so tiny though... and not free. ;)

--janak

Steven Cedrone
12-09-2003, 05:18 PM
Steve: IP Dashboard looks neat! Not so tiny though... and not free. ;)

I was just editing my post to add vxIPConfig when you posted... :lol: Ha, I didn't even see the link in your first post... :roll:

Steve

Janak Parekh
12-09-2003, 05:21 PM
I was just editing my post to add vxIPConfig when you posted... :lol:
You didn't have IP Dashboard in there the first time, right? I made a post without any reference to it, then saw it, then I edited it, and then you put vxIPConfig up. Holy Race Condition Batman. 8O ;)

--janak

bdegroodt
12-09-2003, 05:24 PM
Thanks to both of you. I Googled for a this type of application and found no shortage of them, but a peer suggestion is much more valuable to me.

Steve- That IP Dashboard is pretty slick. Thanks for the suggestion Janak. I'll compare the 2 of them and see if IP Dashboard is worth the $12 cost.

Dave Potter
12-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Any suggestions on replacements? Was thinking about the MSFT 802.11g get up.

Although I have no personal experience with the MS 'G' routers , I have heard of some problems getting them to work with WiFi on PDAs . I do know that the MS 'B' routers work great - from personal experience. My PDA WiFi card + MS 'B' router are configured with 128 bit WEP and MAC address filtering.

CoreyJF
12-09-2003, 08:13 PM
http://www.furrygoat.com/Software/index.html is ceIPConfig v1.0 I know CEipconfig is shareware but this is freeware. I use it on 5455 running 2003

ledpocket
12-10-2003, 04:17 AM
I've been a happy user of ipdashboard for several months. I really only use a small amount of its full functionality though. IP and connection status on my today screen, and the network activity icon placed up on the top bar (flashes in the same manner as the desktop xp icon in the tray - flashes for incoming and outing data transmission).

There are a whole bunch of options in there that I do not use (profiles, data rate logging, etc.).