View Full Version : Long Term Care - Preserving our loved ones

Mike Temporale
12-09-2003, 02:23 PM
The recent addition of a iPAQ 4150 to the family has left me wondering what to do with my old 3650. My daughter shows great interest in it, however she's a little young, and I think she would cause more harm than good at this point.

I'm having a hard time just letting the battery run out. I have to fight back the urge to plug it in. :?

What have you guys done with your older models? How have you preserved them for future generations to enjoy?

Candygogo
12-09-2003, 02:57 PM
To be honest, it would be good as a spare. I always have a spare pda *just in case* something happens to the one I'm primarily using. Even if it's not quite up to date, it will at least be something to use until you're able to replace the one you had.

Other than that, if selling is a bit of a hassle, there always converting one of your family members/friends into the 'tech arena' with the rest of us. :wink:

shindullin
12-10-2003, 01:05 AM
I gave my 3600 to my friends, one of whom had a 3600 w a battery problem and another who had one w a cracked screen and we cannibalized it. If they didn't need it for spare parts I would have given it to my 2 yr old as an overpriced coloring book using Kidcolor. I'd probably have looked for other kid friendly freeware to put on there as well. Might as well convert her early. My wife won't get rid of her palm 515 so we're currently a divided family, I need to get my daughter on my side while I can. :mrgreen:

shindullin
12-10-2003, 01:09 AM
BTW, the old 36xx was "dead" from an illfated ROM upgrade attempt back when a few batches or the original ipaq's had a deadly allergic reaction to being upgraded. Otherwise, I prob would not have given it to my daughter (who was one at the time) but to my wife and definitely would not have taken it appart for parts. If my wife still wanted to stick with palm it would have gone to my daughter to bang on a scratch at anyway...

Mike Temporale
12-10-2003, 04:53 AM
I have already converted my wife from her handspring treo to a beatiful HP iPAQ 1910. I don't have many friends to convert, as they either don't have and don't want, or I have already directed them down the 'golden' path.

I would have given it to my 2 yr old as an overpriced coloring book using Kidcolor.

I'm thinking this is the best route. My daughter is still a good 6 - 8 months away from using this device. She is showing interest, but she's still got some learning to do first.

Any thoughts on storage? Should I <gulp> flick the switch? and out it in permenant off mode. :? Or put it in the cradle and let it slowly charge over the coming months?

tanalasta
12-10-2003, 05:56 AM
Lol :) If you have a spare device... then why not sell it or give it away to friends rather cheap? You can always either ebay it (or use it to check what the going price is).

Keeping a spare isn't a bad idea... but synching information between different devices (apart from PIM) is usually a pain. You shouldn't let the batteries run down completely as that isn't good for its longetivity. However, a good li-ion battery should last at least 2 years if its been taken care of properly. After that, you'll probably get significantly reduced operating time... so be careful not to sell friends something that will last 30 minutes!

piperpilot
12-10-2003, 01:37 PM
I have found that office colleagues are a ready market for my cast offs. They like the idea of being able to play with them and then get me to fix them (usually just a soft reset is needed) when they get gummed up.

Mike Temporale
12-10-2003, 02:05 PM
You shouldn't let the batteries run down completely as that isn't good for its longetivity. However, a good li-ion battery should last at least 2 years if its been taken care of properly. After that, you'll probably get significantly reduced operating time...

I'm talking about a 3650, it's 3 years old (well, it's 2 months shy of it's 3rd birthday). I've been dealing with reduced operating time for the last 6-8 months.

I think I'm going to hard off the device, wrap it up in its Vaja case, and lay it to rest on a shelf in my home office. Hopefully my daughter interest will continue to grow over the next 6 months. With any luck, I can pass it along to her for her birthday, or maybe Christmas next year.

:cry: It's going to be hard to put this down. I have carried this around with me, every day for the last 3 years.

senfeng
12-10-2003, 02:13 PM
Once I was sure that I wanted to keep my new device, I sold my old one. I've done this for the past 5 years. It also justifies the price of purchase for my new handheld. I usually offer it for sale to friends/family/co-workers; of course demonstrating the latest features and software. If that doesn't pan out--- EBay.

Thinkingmandavid
12-10-2003, 03:11 PM
Shindullin wrote
My wife won't get rid of her palm 515 so we're currently a divided family, I need to get my daughter on my side while I can
I agree, use strategy to do this. Show her how beautiful the screen looks and tell how it is the best :wink:
My first pda slowly but surely died after i went to another model. ONe day when I went to pick it up, it did not turn on so I knew it had lost the ghost.
My second one was stolen by some punk :evil:
I bought an ipaq but returned it the next day because it would not even stay charged for a few hours of NO usage.
My current Toshiba is working out well for me, I wish it had greater batter life and wireless but oh well.
When I upgrade I am not for certain what I will do with this one.

JvanEkris
12-10-2003, 03:34 PM
What have you guys done with your older models? How have you preserved them for future generations to enjoy?I also have one in spare as well. My old jornada lies quitly in a cupboard, loyal to me in case my Loox has some problems i can't solve. My Old Nino is lying next to it. It used to be the backup of the Jornada, so technically it is the back-up of the back-up. Not very usefull, especially considering i can't do much with it in respect to my Loox.

However, i'm emotionally quite attached to both PocketPC's. Perhaps i will put them in a private exhibit in my office, reflecting the changes of the IT-industry in the past years.....

Jaap

maximus
12-11-2003, 04:25 AM
What have you guys done with your older models? How have you preserved them for future generations to enjoy?

My first was an axim X5. Then I bought a 2210, shipped it to my future-spouse who is living abroad. Then I bought a XDA II.

After 2 weeks playing with the XDA II and several soft resets, I shoved it back in its box, waiting for someone else who can use it, perhaps my mom. Back to axim X5 with PPC2002 again. Nothing feels right in my palm like the axim X5 :mrgreen:

Brad Adrian
12-11-2003, 06:46 AM
I've given a couple of my older models to family members. So, around my house in the evening it's not uncommon to see me relaxing while WiFi-ing with mine, my wife playing Solitaire nearby and my 11-year-old daughter listening to music.

blang
12-11-2003, 05:06 PM
I recently purchased an IPAQ 2210. I have a 3955 which I will probably never give up because of all of the accessories I have purchased and in my opinion, a one of the best pocketpc's. I let my 7 year old daughter use it to play games and I also use it to beta test games and applications. I would expect that in a couple of years, I will either give her the 2210 or the 3955.

I also won an Axim x5 which I have given to my 10 year old. He is currently using it for school assignments and of course, playing games.

In my opinion, you can never have too many pocket pc's!

dh
12-11-2003, 05:40 PM
My plan was to buy an exciting WM2003 PPC and let my daughter have my X5. Problem is that nothing has yet tempted me to upgrade so she now has a new e355 waiting for Christmas Day.

We have a couple of Palm Vxs kicking around as well. One is so old it's a 3COM one. It still works although parts of the digitizer seem to have given up.

I'd still like to replace the Axim at some point. Trouble is, it does everything I need very well so the replacement will have to be great.