View Full Version : How can I do this?

Martin I Pettinger
12-08-2003, 05:41 PM
-
Hi

I have a dial up connection and wondered if I could install a WiFi Access Point so I could connect wirelessly with my laptop or iPAQ 2210 with a suitable CF Card. Ideally the access point would be upgradeable in that if broadband came along I could use the same Access Point. I hope I am making sense. I know using WiFi to connect to a 56k dial up point seems crazy but hey its a crazy world.

Martin

dhettel
12-08-2003, 06:00 PM
Look for an oronoco RG-1000 on ebay. It comes with a built in modem, so it will dial into your ISP. As long as it is a real ISP that just needs a user name and password. (doesn't work with the kind that need you to be running a program on the PC, read that as the free ISPs).

David

Steven Cedrone
12-08-2003, 06:03 PM
Martin,

Just want to make sure I have it clear. You have a wireless network at home, and you want the WAP to dial in to your ISP on demand (Initializing a connection when you use either your Pocket PC or your laptop)???

Is that it???

Steve

Martin I Pettinger
12-08-2003, 09:53 PM
-
Steven

I currently access the internet via the built in modem from my laptop via a cable into the phone socket.

I wondered if I could buy a wireless access point which would plug into the phone socket and then dial the internet via a PC WiFi card in my laptop.

Similarly if I wanted to access the Internet from my PDA I would use a CF WiFi Card. I am sure that there are WiFi Broadband (ADSL) Modems in this country which work this way except I do not have Broadband.

Hope this makes things clearer. I'll search for the oronoco rg-1000 though - thanks for this dhettel

Martin

popabawa
12-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Martin, if you add a WiFi access point, it works like this....

You would still access the internet exactly as you do now as you described.

The AP plugs into a network port in your laptop. You can then access your laptop, including the internet, from your PDA via the AP.

The WiFi bit cares not a jot whether you have broadband or dial-up, it works the same way.

(There are other options, this would be a fairly simple, low cost approach)

Iain

Hyperluminal
12-09-2003, 12:43 AM
There are two other options also. I got an SMC 7004AWBR router, which has a serial port for an external serial modem, and I use that for wireless dialup. You can either have it dial up on demand, so it connects automatically whenever you try to go online, or just bookmark a certain page in the setup site for the router (which you access at the router's IP address, by default at 192.168.2.1), that lets you connect and disconnect manually.

You could also buy a regular router, and get a LAN Modem, which can dial-up, and can connect by ethernet to your router. Unfortunately, in the US at least, LAN Modems cost about $200, so the first option is probably better.