View Full Version : Do you get nervous toting your gadgets with you daily?

Candygogo
12-08-2003, 05:02 PM
For many (if not all) of us, taking our pda, phone, laptop, plus accessories with us is a necessity. Plus, add in camcorders and/or digital cams as well.

Now, pdas alone are expensive, but when you take along your other gear, well, you could be travelling with close to if not (way) over $1000 (I'm using US--please adjust according to your location) worth of electronics. I can't be the only one that grips my gear bag a tad tight when on the train ;)

True story: When I first got my NEC Mobilepro 450 way back when (h/pc, Win CE 1.0 monocrome, keyboard) I was like that little monster in LOTR: "My Precious..." ;) Of course, I used it, but I wouldn't take it out with me for about a month becasue of the 'what ifs' I would write down things on scrap paper, then type it on my pda when I got home. Yes, it took me a month before common sense kicked in. :roll:

Leo the 3rd
12-08-2003, 05:12 PM
I know how you feel. I guard this stuff like my life depended on it - and the thought of having to replace things if they get stolen. Between an iPAQ it's accessories, my cell, my iPod and headphones (either Grado SR60 or Sennheiser MX400). These on top of my laptop and necessary cabling. But I'm sure over time consolidation will kick in.

popabawa
12-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Funnily enough, I'm not even slightly concerned about my SPV Smartphone but I'm constantly checking my pockets to check I haven't lost my iPAQ 2210...

JustinGTP
12-08-2003, 05:40 PM
Wow Candygogo, I must say that you have the best questions to ask the members on this forum, way to go! :way to go:

Anyways, I carry over 1,600 to school with my Pocket PC, PPC Keyboard, Cell Phone, Cell Phone Camera, Digital Camera, and MP3 Player. I dont carry all of these things all the time, right now I have my ppc, cellphone, keyboard, and the 2 digital cams.

My cellphone cam is pretty useless but I can email the pics from my phone right away. The other is a Samsung Digimax 360.

:D :D :D

-Justin.

Thinkingmandavid
12-08-2003, 05:42 PM
I more aware of my ppc because I have it in a leather case that also acts as my wallet. It was doing great until I had a few cards drop out, such as my Bally's membership card, Graduate student card, and my insurance card. It is a belkin but the pocket opens at the side and it appears that the leather has stretched.
When I go to an hp/Loox, I will choose a much nicer wallet so that is less of a problem. I have dropped my ppc from my side because of hitting against something and then it just hits the ground. Thankfully nothing has happened to it:)

ctmagnus
12-08-2003, 08:14 PM
I carry my iPaq very close to my heart. Literally. It fits very nicely in the breast pocket of my eVest. The cell (when I have it (soon to be them)) goes in the right-hand outer breast pocket. Everything else goes somewhere in my eVest unless I have excessive cabling, in which case I stick it all in a laptop-type bag even though I don't own a laptop yet.

PetiteFlower
12-08-2003, 08:23 PM
Most pants have 2 back pockets. Cell goes in one, PDA in the other. And I have a purse if they are uncomfortable to sit on or my pants don't have pockets. I don't get nervous, but that's probably a false sense of security :)

Dave Potter
12-08-2003, 11:15 PM
Most pants have 2 back pockets. Cell goes in one, PDA in the other. And I have a purse if they are uncomfortable to sit on

Wow! You sit with your PDA in your back pocket? That seems like a recipe for trouble to me. What kind of case do your use? Kryptonite?
:D

I'm surpised you haven't broken your screen yet. Of course, you may be one of those 110 lb slimmer than slim woman that my wife hates so much.

:wink:

CoreyJF
12-08-2003, 11:59 PM
I get more nervous that I will leave it in my car, if I have it hooked up to a gps or the stereo for mp3's I have done that several times with the top down and have been shocked it was still there when I got back.

maximus
12-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Wow! You sit with your PDA in your back pocket? That seems like a recipe for trouble to me. What kind of case do your use? Kryptonite?
:D

Naaaaaaaah ... no casing needed. Petite is using an Axim X5, an engineering masterpiece from Dell Computer, to ensure enough tensile strength to withstand the test of time :mrgreen:

Back on topic. I always carried 3 items with me on daily basis: Axim X5 and Motorola T720 on my belt, and Minolta Dimage Xi on my shirt pocket. Do I feel nervous about it ? Yes. The crime rate in Indonesia is very high, it is not even save to use a mobilephone while your car stops on a traffic light -- someone will break your car's window and grab your mobilephone. So, I moved the axim and T720 into my pants pocket when I am out of the office/apartment area. Better be save than sorry.

koro
12-09-2003, 03:43 AM
Since getting my 4150 Ive been irrationally paranoid about even leaving it on my desk at work!
:oops:

tanalasta
12-09-2003, 04:35 AM
I use the default case that comes with the pocketpc because i'm still saving up to buy the proporta/innopocket aluminium case! (its below pocketpcthoughts subscription on my shopping list!)

But yes, i believe using a case should be essential to:
1. protect your pda from dust and lint in your pocket and being scratched by keys or other objects
2. protect your screen from pressure damage
3. I can afford a new one if it breaks.
4. Provide minimal protection if you drop yours once a week like i do

The way my finances are going, i'll probably graduate first... buy a spanking new IPAQ and then a case... then get a tax rebate on all of them! :)

Candygogo
12-09-2003, 04:38 AM
Wow Candygogo, I must say that you have the best questions to ask the members on this forum, way to go! :way to go:

Anyways, I carry over 1,600 to school with my Pocket PC, PPC Keyboard, Cell Phone, Cell Phone Camera, Digital Camera, and MP3 Player. I dont carry all of these things all the time, right now I have my ppc, cellphone, keyboard, and the 2 digital cams.

My cellphone cam is pretty useless but I can email the pics from my phone right away. The other is a Samsung Digimax 360.

:D :D :D

-Justin.

:D Thanks, Justin for the props! I'm just a gadget freak like everyone else here.

What got me to thinking about the question was a digital camcorder I picked up (an early Christmas present for moi). It's not the tiniest, but it's palmsized--in other words could easily fit in my 'gear bag' with my other stuff. We probably don't think about the monetary value of our things we take with us daily.

Vincent M Ferrari
12-09-2003, 04:46 AM
My wife and I were discussing this the other day on the train when I opened up my "manbag" to take out my Axim and listen to some music. I realized I carry a $300 PDA, a $200 phone, a $200 digital camera, and at times my $1800 laptop and never even give it a second thought.

Add in the occasional Rio MP3 player or times when I borrow a more expensive phone from work to test and you've got the recipe for a potential disaster if your stuff gets jacked. Every gadget I own could be cleared out in one clean swoop. :worried:

Not somethinig I'm fond of thinking about, but as I said, it rarely crosses my mind. Odd how I'm almost OCD about locking my car doors (even though I have passive locks), but I strut around with a small army of equipment and never give it a second thought. Jeez, I don't even think twice about taking my stuff out on the NYC Subway anymore... Don't tell me I'm not hardened!

PetiteFlower
12-09-2003, 05:08 AM
Of course, you may be one of those 110 lb slimmer than slim woman that my wife hates so much.

Note my nickname. I'm actually 105, and yes, in fact I do weigh this much JUST to piss off average sized people.

*rolleyes*

Usually the pockets are situated in such a way that the PDA is paralell with my back, not under my butt. Sitting on it is uncomfortable.

No case, either, if I had one it wouldn't fit in my pocket!

Janak Parekh
12-09-2003, 05:42 AM
Jeez, I don't even think twice about taking my stuff out on the NYC Subway anymore... Don't tell me I'm not hardened!
I used to be very afraid when I pulled out my Pocket PC on the subway. But now, everyone has a PDA -- and I don't just mean the "businesspeople" types.

What I still don't get is how people can have the balls to pull out a laptop on the subway...

--janak

Vincent M Ferrari
12-09-2003, 06:05 AM
What I still don't get is how people can have the balls to pull out a laptop on the subway...

I'm not quite that hardened yet :-)

ctmagnus
12-09-2003, 06:34 AM
But now, everyone has a PDA -- and I don't just mean the "businesspeople" types.

In all the daytrips I've made to Calgary, I've nerver noticed another person with a PDA outside of a computer/electronics/office store. (Perhaps the three J's (Jason, JR, Justin) need to clone thenselves?) However, on my recent trip to Vancouver, there were several.

ale2999
12-09-2003, 08:48 AM
hehe. good question. at any given time, I have my 2210 and the wifi cf card, the extra battery and my cell phone. and I am almost always paying attention to all my stuff. the last time sometin happened was today: I was going to class with my friend when I put my hands in my pockets and I could only feel my walled and cell phone. I felt desperate as the only place that I could have left it at was the caffeteria in my university. then half way to the cafeteria my friend told me to check my backpack and there it was silly me :roll: At least I got to skip class cuz it was too l8 by when we found my pda. Now that I am getting a smartphone I am gonna even more weary about it, but o well calgary kids are good kids I hope lol

Candygogo
12-09-2003, 02:49 PM
Jeez, I don't even think twice about taking my stuff out on the NYC Subway anymore... Don't tell me I'm not hardened!
I used to be very afraid when I pulled out my Pocket PC on the subway. But now, everyone has a PDA -- and I don't just mean the "businesspeople" types.

--janak

Hehehe...maybe you saw me on the 1 train yesterday...with my pda, not a laptop! :)

I don't think twice about yanking out my pda...most people on the subway are usually staring morosely at the floor or whatever thinking about going home or to work. Then again, I'm not on the subway that often--I'm a 'Lawn-guy-land' girl :wink:

Vincent M Ferrari
12-09-2003, 03:08 PM
Just to throw an informal survey into the mix... If you commute to work, do you notice more PPC's or Palms on the way to/from work?

Generally I see more Palms, but I'm seeing an increasing number of Pocket PC's. Also a lot of RIM's and iPods... LOTS of iPods.

It's pretty cool to see so much technology beyond Walkman and Discman type devices.

Guido
12-09-2003, 04:06 PM
I have an old cell phone, and I bought my PPC used for a steal, and since all the files are sync'd daily, it wouldn't matter too much if I lose it. It would suck, but it wouldn't change my life one bit.
I hate carrying stuff with me so it just sits in my car whenever I go somewhere.
Maybe if I used it for business it would be different.

Janak Parekh
12-09-2003, 05:08 PM
Hehehe...maybe you saw me on the 1 train yesterday...with my pda, not a laptop! :)
Considering I take the 1 train every day, it's entirely possible. However, considering the number of 1 trains during rush hour... the number of people using PDAs on the 1 is not insignificant ;)

I don't think twice about yanking out my pda...most people on the subway are usually staring morosely at the floor or whatever thinking about going home or to work.
Of course. A PDA is at least relatively concealable in one's hand. People occasionally snatch glances of my Pocket PC, but since the i700's screen is awful at an angle, they quickly lose interest.

Additionally, I assume this is how people justify using laptops -- most people will ignore them. What really boggles me is those who take out their 15" Powerbooks and just start working on them. OK, perhaps during rush hour in the financial district... but not even then -- I'd find the subway too crowded to be comfortable, and then there's those who use it on the upper west side. :| And unless you're taking the A or something to a far end of the city, is it even worth using it for 15 or 20 minutes?

Then again, I'm not on the subway that often--I'm a 'Lawn-guy-land' girl :wink:
Not in Manhattan, you aren't. Unless (Bryant|Central|etc.) Park counts. :razzing:

--janak

Janak Parekh
12-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Just to throw an informal survey into the mix... If you commute to work, do you notice more PPC's or Palms on the way to/from work?

Generally I see more Palms, but I'm seeing an increasing number of Pocket PC's. Also a lot of RIM's and iPods... LOTS of iPods.
I think more iPods than Pocket PCs or Palms. I'm guilty of inflating the iPod count myself, but at least I don't use the telltale white headphones... I prefer my black Sony earbuds.

As for strictly Pocket PC vs. Palm, I'd guess Palm, maybe a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio? It's impressive that the ratio is so low, IMHO.

--janak

Janak Parekh
12-09-2003, 05:13 PM
But now, everyone has a PDA -- and I don't just mean the "businesspeople" types.
In all the daytrips I've made to Calgary, I've nerver noticed another person with a PDA outside of a computer/electronics/office store. (Perhaps the three J's (Jason, JR, Justin) need to clone thenselves?) However, on my recent trip to Vancouver, there were several.
Hmm. Interesting. PDAs are universal here in NYC now. OK, not everyone literally. But I see at least a few people using it on the subway on pretty much every trip.

--janak

pocketpcfox
12-09-2003, 06:45 PM
I used to be very afraid when I pulled out my Pocket PC on the subway. But now, everyone has a PDA

Well, with a Proporta case for my 2210 (won on Pocketpcthoughts), I have no qualms about travelling with my music, books etc. My old Jornada always caused me anxiety attacks though (remember those weak plastic tabs holding the flip-up cover in place?)

And Janak... Funnily enough I had no worries about pulling out my PDA on the London Tube (subway) ... but most of the Paris Metro is seedy enough that I didn't feel comfortable using it there.

By the way, a Chinese tourist broke from his group in the Richelieu wing of the Louvre last week to see what the heck I was doing with that "shiny silver thing" my 2210... I was using Tomeraider and the Wikipedia encyclopedia to get more info on a painting. Boy, it was incredibly useful. That and the free Metro program which gives info on how to get from A to B on all the subways of the world.

drop
12-09-2003, 06:45 PM
I’d never thought I am in mortal danger. Thanks for making me paranoid.

Since both of my hands would be carrying gears, I guess I would allocate the security job to my feet. Note to self: take kickboxing lesson and buy steel-toe boots :twisted: .

Fun thread to read :wink:

pocketpcfox
12-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Oh and on a related note, the latest crime of opportunity in London is to wait by Tube exits for people to pull out their cellphones and call people to come pick 'em up or some such thing. The criminal just runs by and snatches the phone and runs like hell. I can see how a PDA could tempt a thief in this way. So headsup everyone!

CoreyJF
12-09-2003, 08:03 PM
While the DC metro is probably safer then the NYC subway system, I have never thought twice about getting work done on the train using either a pda or laptop...

cooldw57
12-09-2003, 08:24 PM
yeah, I got similar feelings, One time I got Digi Cam, Nokia 3650, Toshiba E755, Dell laptop all in one bag when I took the train... i became so paranoid that I suspect everyone around me either wants to steal my stuff, or plan to kidnap me to IRAQ .
anyway, I dont normally leave my GPS and Pocket PC in my car, the radiation heat from the sun could make in-car temperature go up to 130 degrees, not the best idea to let your PDA to sit in there

draiken
12-10-2003, 01:01 AM
I usually commute in my own car, so I allways have my T610 and h2215 with me, and sometimes the laptop.

But to think about going into the open (anywhere outside my home, office or car) with all of this on me... NEVER, the T610 at most...

Until the goverment does something about public safety... (hope they follow Giuliani's suggestions)

Note: the Mexico City goverment brought Giuliani about 2-3 months ago to consult on public safety, public officials, corruption, etc.

Spongebob
12-10-2003, 01:30 AM
I get concerned when someone comes by me and they accidently run into me, I am always figuring it is someone doing the 'bump' to get to my pda 8O so then I am always making sure to check isntantly when that happens. :mrgreen:
I also on a regular basis check to see if it has dropped or fallen off of my hip without my knowing about it. :)

Candygogo
12-10-2003, 02:08 AM
I’d never thought I am in mortal danger. Thanks for making me paranoid.

Since both of my hands would be carrying gears, I guess I would allocate the security job to my feet. Note to self: take kickboxing lesson and buy steel-toe boots :twisted: .

Fun thread to read :wink:

Oops! Didn't mean to make people paranoid--just think of it as a reminder to keep your guard up. :wink:

SassKwatch
12-10-2003, 03:03 AM
I carry my iPaq very close to my heart. Literally. It fits very nicely in the breast pocket of my eVest.
I was going to offer that as a good reason to consider an eVest (or one of the full-fledged jackets).

Must admit I've thought about this issue more than once lately. I generally only carry the ppc and cell phone with me, but I'd really like to start carrying the digicam as well. But it's worth more than the ppc and phone combined. It's about that time when the $$ sign start flashing before my eyes, and I s-start g-g-g-getting n-ner-nervous. :lol:

JustinGTP
12-10-2003, 03:43 AM
I have only seen 2 PDAs when I am at work, and both are older Palms (black and white screen backlight with green)

I use my PPC everywhere, youll see it at the malls, Northland and Market. I like to play with TVs lol!

-Justin.

ale2999
12-10-2003, 05:06 AM
I have seen some ppl with axims on the bus b4. and I usually see at least 3 ppl with a pda at the university. but I carry my 2210 EVERYWHERE. not really scared to take it out, unless I am at the train station downtonw. there is no need too anyways as my 2210 is most of the time playing music from the safety of my pocket

Brad Adrian
12-10-2003, 05:20 AM
I usually worry more that I'll lose my Pocket PCs or do something stupid like drop them on the pavement than I do having them stolen. I'm 6'3" tall and weigh about 210 pounds (!), so most muggers swerve toward less formidable targets (even though I'm really a pussycat at heart).

But you know...Wearing my eVEST makes me a lot less concerned about dropping or losing my toys because I have to fumble around holding things a lot less.

[Sorry, I just HAD to get my eVEST plug in...!]

SassKwatch
12-10-2003, 08:28 AM
[Sorry, I just HAD to get my eVEST plug in...!]

Not to worry. I did that fer ya a few messages back. :clap:

maximus
12-10-2003, 08:34 AM
I like to play with TVs lol!
-Justin.

Baaaaaad bad boy :devilboy:

senfeng
12-10-2003, 01:03 PM
I've got an iPaq 2215- very tiny compared to my last two PPCs (Toshiba e755 and iPaq 3835). It fits in every pocket that I have with a lot of room to spare. Its one of the main reasons that I wanted this PDA.

So anywayz... I carry it with me everywhere. I'm not really concerned because unlike my last two handhelds, this one doesn't cause a noticable bulge in my pants (uh... ignor that last comment). Most people don't even know that I have it with me.

Candygogo
12-10-2003, 03:15 PM
I have various bags, rolling backpacks, etc....but I'm seriously leaning towards getting a Podzilla when I must carry EVERYTHING with me. Something nice and secure to carry my everythings (!!) :wink:

Thinkingmandavid
12-10-2003, 03:16 PM
Spongebob wrote
I also on a regular basis check to see if it has dropped or fallen off of my hip without my knowing about it.

same here, I am also checking to see if has fallen off of my hip. Actually, the past two weeks it has fallen off of my hip i think four times :!: It keeps working which is of course due to it being in a belkin leather case/wallet.

senfeng wrote
this one doesn't cause a noticable bulge in my pants (uh... ignor that last comment).
*whistling* * looking the other way*

bridgecrosser
12-10-2003, 09:48 PM
I was at church last week and someone asked me for an appointment. I pulled my HP 5450 off my hip, flipped open the E & B case and the device went flying out toward the tiled floor of the lobby. I caught it just before it crashed to the floor. Case is not tight enough for this device.

SassKwatch
12-11-2003, 01:43 AM
same here, I am also checking to see if has fallen off of my hip. Actually, the past two weeks it has fallen off of my hip i think four times :!:
I don't get the whole hip carrying thing. That's always seemed like hanging a virtual billboard over your head that reads.....
"Yes, mugger...here I am carrying expensive doodads on my hip. Beat me over the head and you can get enough $$ from the corner 'fence' to buy a couple nights at your fave sleezebag hotel."

Top that off with the fear of the doodads falling off my hip and the neurosis would be complete! :)

DustyLBottoms
12-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Wow, I never have the concerns that you all seem to share (for the most part)

I have my iPAQ 5400 with me ALL the time. if I don't have it I feel naked!
Cell phone too. what's the point of owning a device that's supposed to make you life easier/more mobil if you don't acutally use it?

Anyways, I figure that if someone want to take my stuff that badly then He's welcome to it. But....He's going to get a few bumps in the process ;) :bangin:

Pat Logsdon
12-11-2003, 09:34 PM
I have my iPAQ 5400 with me ALL the time. if I don't have it I feel naked!
Same here. I wear mine on my belt all day, and I definitely feel weird without that weight there. I've also never worried about muggers because I usually don't go anywhere dangerous. :wink:

nic
12-12-2003, 07:16 AM
I'm trying to get over this nervousness of carrying around my iPaq h1945.

About the first 30 days i had it, I'd just carry it around in my pocket with just a screen protector and I freaken loved it. It was so small that i couldn't even tell it was in my pocket. Then one day the screen cracked :( ...bummer. I'm not sure how it cracked exactly, but i know about the time it cracked and i know that it didn't get hit by anything. So my best guess is that my jeans must have put stress up against it when i sat down or something. I have really baggy pants too.

Sent it to HP for them to fix (they didn't want to at first for free but i convinced them ;) ).

Now I have it back, so I ordered an aluminum case from proporta to shield the fragile thing in. But the case has made it so bulky and aquard I don't like putting it in my pocket anymore, or carrying it around. Since i'm not carrying it around with me, I'm pretty much not using it at all.

So, after giving it some thought, I think I'm just going to carry it around like I was (w/o the case). And if it breaks, oh well...screw it... at least I was getting some use out of it.

So I'm not going to be nervous about carrying it around. But I know next time I invest in a PDA, I'm going to get one that can take a lot of abuse. This 1945 is just waiting to break again, they are built SO freaken cheap.

pocketpcfox
12-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Now I have it back, so I ordered an aluminum case from proporta to shield the fragile thing in. But the case has made it so bulky and aquard I don't like putting it in my pocket anymore, or carrying it around. Since i'm not carrying it around with me, I'm pretty much not using it at all.

So, after giving it some thought, I think I'm just going to carry it around like I was (w/o the case). And if it breaks, oh well...screw it... at least I was getting some use out of it.

Hey nic,

Why not just give your aluminium case another couple of days? You may get used to the "added bulk" (what? a couple of milimeters and grams? :wink: )

I wouldn't say the 1945 is "built cheap" -- it's plastic, that's all. Your $40 case should be more than enough protection, when you get used to it.

Just my 2 cents

[/i]

Janak Parekh
12-12-2003, 04:46 PM
I have a simpler solution: why not get a non-aluminum case? There's lots of variety, and you can get cases that don't add much bulk to the iPAQ as well.

--janak

nic
12-12-2003, 07:57 PM
I have a simpler solution: why not get a non-aluminum case? There's lots of variety, and you can get cases that don't add much bulk to the iPAQ as well.

--janak

Its certainly a good idea, but I can't think of any material that would protect it against accidental warping besides the aluminum (or maybe titanium).

In reply to pocketpcfox: i've tried it again and again...and I don't like the way the case feels in my pocket. I'm anal that way, I guess.
---
In any case, if the device breaks again, oh well. I'll buy something made better next time (I really like what sony has put out *grin*).

rprata
12-12-2003, 10:32 PM
On a daily basis, I carry:

h4155
Tungsten T3
PowerBook 12"
PPK Keyboard for Palm
sync/charge cables for PPC and Palm
SonyEricsson t616
BT headset

All in a RoadWired laptop bag. Never had a problem.

Len Egan
12-13-2003, 03:40 AM
I carry my 2215 and my LG cell phone with me everywhere I go. I never even give security a second thought. I think for most of us in love with our PPC, they simply become another extension of us; a part of us. For good or for bad, they become part of who we are!

Janak Parekh
12-13-2003, 09:00 PM
Its certainly a good idea, but I can't think of any material that would protect it against accidental warping besides the aluminum (or maybe titanium).
Warping of what? The case? Try any good leather case manufacturer -- the cases stay good, sturdy and provide good protection for years. And they have a great feel. My Vaja and E&B cases have served well for a long time...

--janak

Len Egan
12-14-2003, 05:59 AM
I've had vaja cases for several years now with great success. They seem to last forever!

gai-jin
12-14-2003, 05:07 PM

I think he was referring to warping the PPC. As in, when he sat down, he thinks the way he sat twisted it slightly, causing the screen to crack.

Gai-jin

gtmtnbiker98
12-14-2003, 05:37 PM
I must comment that this thread has been very interesting to read. Yes, I'm one of those paranoid types who fear damaging their pride and joy. For this very reason, I own two iPAQ's. The h2215 travels with me everywhere and my h4155 stays at home for casual Web browsing.

My h2215 is nestled in an EB Slipper case and the h4155 is in a new Vaja Classic. If I damage the h2215 then I always have another handheld to fall back on. Both handhelds are synchronized with the same information for this very reason.

I fear the casual bumps at work, since I'm a cop; however, I do not fear theft for obvious reasons. I am glad to hear that there are other PDA compulsives around there. I thought that I was all alone.

My daily technical gear consists of an iPAQ h2215, Sig Sauer P226, Motorola handheld radio, an ASP baton, and a set of nickle plated handcuffs. That's my gear in a nutshell. Oh, I almost forgot about my "pepper" spray. Will an e-vest work for me?

Candygogo
12-14-2003, 05:53 PM
My daily technical gear consists of an iPAQ h2215, Sig Sauer P226, Motorola handheld radio, an ASP baton, and a set of nickle plated handcuffs. That's my gear in a nutshell. Oh, I almost forgot about my "pepper" spray. Will an e-vest work for me?

Hehehe...the gun, baton, handcuffs and pepper spray are perfect additions to add to the gear collection. If anything, it alleviates just about all the fears you'd have about it getting stollen :wink:

Janak Parekh
12-14-2003, 08:30 PM
I think he was referring to warping the PPC. As in, when he sat down, he thinks the way he sat twisted it slightly, causing the screen to crack.
But a padded case will still absorb a lot of the pressure and give you a good measure of protection. I've carried several Pocket PCs now in cases and haven't had the slightest hint of warping or cracked screens.

--janak

Thinkingmandavid
12-14-2003, 08:33 PM
My Belkin leather case is not the greatest in the world, but it has kept my Toshiba from breaking. I have of late dropped it a few times and also it has fallen from my hip a few times. Each time no problem with my Toshiba so that I am glad and thankful for. So the leather cases are good for absorbing the impact from a fall as Janak has referred to.

Jeff Rutledge
12-14-2003, 09:11 PM
Perhaps the three J's (Jason, JR, Justin) need to clone thenselves?)

I'm on it! So far I've only duplicated my big toe, but it's a start. 8)

Jeff Rutledge
12-14-2003, 09:20 PM

I see one every once in a while. About 3 weeks ago I got on the bus and a guy sitting across from me was listening to his 2215. I had forgotten my headphones that day but I chuckled at the prospect of our matching "walkmans". 8)

maximus
12-15-2003, 02:31 AM
heheh. matching walkmans. I got that feeling almost everyday back in singapore. My usual 'mode' when riding the train to work is a headset on my ears, and the axim on my palm, answering emails.

I have a lot of 'twins' in singapore -- i.e. lots of people are doing exactly the same during the train ride to/from work. It is safe to flash a PPC in singapore, but not in indonesia. A friend of mine made a mistake 2 weeks ago, she put her PPC, mobile phone and her wallet on the passanger seat while driving. Stopping at a traffic light, someone broke her car's window and grab all the 3 items.