View Full Version : SD work in MMC slot?

cyj
12-07-2003, 10:37 AM
I was going to pick up an MMC adapter hoping that an SD card would fit in the MMC slot. Is this okay? I thought they were interchangeable, but I haven't paid close attention to be confident. Thanks.

tanalasta
12-07-2003, 01:11 PM
As a general rule of thumb:
MMC cards work in SD slots (differences are MMC's are not secure and possibly slower)
SD cards do NOT work in MMC slots.

By MMC reader do you mean that it only reads MMC cards? If so, then it is likely it won't work on SD cards. It's not that hard to find an SD card reader and they're quite cheap but to be on the safe side, ask whoever you're going to buy your reader from (e.g. sales assistance) to make sure - that way you can always take it back if it doesn't work.

dhettel
12-07-2003, 03:10 PM
If it is a true MMC reader then a SD card should not even fit in it. MMC are thinner than SD cards, as well as all of the above. But I recall that Hp released an MMC reader for one of it's PPC, and I heard that it would take SD cards, and read them.

David

cyj
12-08-2003, 05:12 AM
Okay, that clarifies it. I was going to get one of those floppy adaptors, but since I purchased an SD card, that won't work. Thanks for the help.