View Full Version : My long and tiresome PPC morning...

Palmguy
12-06-2003, 05:48 PM
[Compiled from my post at Brighthand]

Ever since I went wifi on my iPAQ 3950, the stupid connection setup has been a royal pain in the rear. A little easier on the 4150, but still required just a guess and check of settings to get it to work. I've been trying all morning to hook up to my home AP with my e805, and to no avail. The stupid little start bar arrows show a connection, tapping on them shows full strength on the strength meter. I've got DHCP enabled on my AP, but it never seemed to work with handhelds so I've manually set the IP address on my e805, and when I bring up the router config on my laptop and click on connected devices my e805 shows up. I can ping the Toshiba from my laptop as well. I haven't yet set up WEP or MAC filtering on my AP so I know that that isn't a problem.

Everything points to the fact that it is connected, but I can not load a freakin' web page. Anywhere I try to go instantly the message pops up "The site you are looking for can not be found."

This combined with the fact that my touch-screen went dead twice in the last 12 hours and the only way to reactivate it is to remove the battery is really pissing me off!

(part II)

Well I just requested an RMA from Harmony...my touch screen has completely ceased to respond to anything, including a hard reset.

The digitizer never worked well, it was very inaccurate especially around the upper right hand corner. I'm actually glad that something happened and my device was defective so that I can return it, as beautiful as the screen was, the rest of the device annoyed the crap out of me...(i.e. especially the digitizer...wifi...my device seemed ridiculously slow as well for some reason)...

What I am going to use next I'm not sure...I'm going to have serious reservations about getting another e805. I know some of you guys love yours, but I'm just very skeptical right now. I've got this sale-pending UX-50 here that connected to my AP (with DHCP!!!) in roughly three seconds, I may use it for awhile, the thumbboard is nice.

It just infuriates me...but I guess this can happen when you are hanging on the bleeding edge of technology :roll:

Palmguy
12-06-2003, 05:50 PM
I think that I am feeling a return to the tried-and-true 2215. Without a doubt a great PPC, and something that I never had a problem with. She was always good to me :D

dh
12-06-2003, 06:41 PM
I've seen a few comments about poor quality with the e800. Specification wise Toshiba are obviously there, maybe they haven't quite got it together with the engineering and QA.

For me the trusty Axim is going to have to do it for a while longer. It does everything I need, but I still keep thinking that it's upgrade time. Trouble is that, without exception, every new device has as many "don't buy me" features as "buy me" features.

If I was just starting out, I think I would go with a 2215 as well, but I would not replace the Axim with one. Just this morning I was wondering if I should dump Sprint, get a free T610 from T-Mobile and a Socket BT card.

yvilla
12-06-2003, 09:02 PM
People should not take Palmguy's experience as a general indictment against the e805! It's an amazing device, and from what I've seen so far (mostly on Brighthand because it has the most active e800 community right now), most owners are truly delighted with it and it's VGA capabilities. Nor are internet connection issues at all common. On the contrary, Toshiba has included several apps, such as a wireless finder, a connectivity doctor, and a config free launcher, that are tremendous advances over the native WM 2003 connection manager.