View Full Version : Best cell phone & provider for BT wireless internet access?

lkawamot
12-06-2003, 12:59 AM
Hey folks,

I have been trying to get wireless internet access with my iPAQ for a while now, but could use some suggestions.

Unfortunately, I have an Audiovox CDM9500 with Verizon. The Supply Net was going to make a cable to enable wireless internet access via the Audiovox 9500 (and they even took my order for it) but have recently cancelled production due to technical problems.

Now I'm back at square one... I know there are a lot more BT phones out that are not CDMA. But how difficult is the process?? How reliable is the combination?? How fast is the throughput??

Anyone know any combination that is a "perfect fit"? Simple configuration, high throughput, reliable connection... as well as good voice coverage and reasonable price.

I'd like replies specific to the iPAQ, preferably the 2200 series...

Jereboam
12-06-2003, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure about US service providers, but if you are going the GSM route and need Bluetooth the Sony Ericsson T610 is what you want. But I would suggest waiting a few months if you can as they are bringing out an improved version, the T630 (I think that's the new code), which improves reception and screen quality.

J'bm

deeddawg
12-09-2003, 04:00 PM
Check out T-Mobile. At present all plans come with free WAP access and it's not locked down to the phone -- in other words, you have unlimited free access to ports 80, 25 and 110 (html, sending mail via SMTP, receiving email via POP3). Other ports are blocked so no https type connections, but hey it's free and unlimited usage. As it's GPRS data it also doesn't use any of your voice minutes.

If you want true unrestricted access to all ports it's $20/month on top of your normal voice bill.

For more info on phones and such, see the T-Mobile discussion forum on www.howardforums.com I currently use a Nokia 3650 and it works very well.

lkawamot
12-11-2003, 05:41 PM
I was looking at T-Mobile as an option because of the limited free internet accessibilty, but I've heard that the coverage in the central coast (CA) isn't all that great.

So far it looks like AT&T might be the best choice... I'm guessing that I should be able to get the Nokia 3650 through AT&T as well.

How was the setup for BT dialup on the Nokia? I've tried setting up through a friend's Sony Ericsson S56, but I can't get it to work at all. I've read that other people were having similar problems so I'm hoping it's the phone.

straysheepie
12-11-2003, 06:54 PM
There is no SonyEricsson S56, you may have been using the Siemens S56. You might have better luck asking the question in a cell phone forum, www.howardforums.com

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

lkawamot
12-12-2003, 02:42 AM
You're correct... I was thinking that I wanted a Sony Ericsson while I was typing that -- I meant to type Siemens S56. :oops:

and yes, I've already been reading through the many posts on HoFo, but I thought I might have better luck asking from an iPAQ perspective on this site. Since posting on HoFo could result in responses on a variety of PDAs on a specific phone and I'm thinking I need a solution on a specific PDA with possibly any kind of phone... makes sense in my mind anyway...

meck
12-12-2003, 03:22 PM
I'm using the 4150 with my SE T616 (unlocked, uncustomized firmware too!)

The speed is very acceptable between the two units, and the speed is comparable to a 56K modem for GPRS on AT&T service. Theoretically it could be faster, but I have a feeling the data channels are a little crowded in the northeast (Boston/Providence areas). However, I don't use it all that much since AT&T insists on raping its customers when it comes to data charges. If, though, they went the T-mobile route and offered free data or at least a flat-rate unlimited plan, I could definitely see myself using it a lot more often.

lkawamot
12-12-2003, 05:55 PM
meck,

how difficult or how easy was the setup? I'm comfortable with pairing devices, but new to dialup internet connections via BT.

rpommier
12-12-2003, 06:54 PM
I think T-Mobile is just about the best deal out there for data... I have Cingular and a S56. The T-Mobile deal came out to late and I was already in my contract.

However with my S56 I use WAP to access the web and stuff and it uses my minutes, and I have the GPRS pay as you go at $.005 per k. After my year is up on Cingular I will probably jump to T-Mobile for the all-you-can eat GPRS.

I chose the S56 over the T610 because it didn't have a camera, and was free with the 1yr contract. Besides, I think camera phones are useless. Between this forum and Howard you should have no problems deciding.

Really there's only 2 choices: Cingular or T-Mobile for service and for phones: Seiemens S56, Nokia 3650 and SE T610.

dmy
12-16-2003, 09:38 PM
I'm using my 2215 with a Siemens S56 on Cingular. Yeah, TMobile's data service is cheaper.... but I only use GPRS when I can't get a WiFi or Wired access, and I've been with Cingular for a long while.

I chose the S56 over the SE T616 for a couple of reasons..... first and foremost I did NOT want a camera. I have too many clients that won't let you take a camera into their facility and now they're cracking down on cell phones with cameras too.... people are getting suprised when they get to work these days and can't take their cell-phone into the building.

Secondly, and what's turned out to be more importantly, the S56 is generally regarded for having better RF performance and sound quality (Check HowardForums for comments), and I've found this to be the case.... I can get coverage in places where my co-worker can't on his T616 and we both have the same carrier. The S56 also has other features that are subtle that the T616 doesn't. Only thing that the T616 has that the siemens doesn't is the camera and a better screen.

I've also got the Logitec Bluetooth Headset paired.... I can dial with voice command from the cell through the headset with no problems.... and if I dial from the contact list on my iPAQ it'll auto-transfer to the headset. Not to mention that either the iPAQ or Headset will ring when I get a call. Heh.... with the combination I actually rarely take the phone out of my briefcase.... it just sits in there ready to make whatever connection I want to make.

rpommier
12-16-2003, 10:56 PM
I've also got the Logitec Bluetooth Headset paired.... I can dial with voice command from the cell through the headset with no problems.... and if I dial from the contact list on my iPAQ it'll auto-transfer to the headset. Not to mention that either the iPAQ or Headset will ring when I get a call. Heh.... with the combination I actually rarely take the phone out of my briefcase.... it just sits in there ready to make whatever connection I want to make.

Sounds excellent... Is that a feature of the headset of a specific way you have your Ipaq & S56 configured? I have a cheapo BT headset that I use with my S56, it gets the job done nicely.

What I can't do is dial a number from my 2210... Also do you have the headset paired with the 2210 in some manner? Please explain, I'm very interested in emulating the functionality you have...

Thanks,

lkawamot
12-16-2003, 11:27 PM
CloudDancer,

Thanks for your input! Do you have your 2215 configured to be able to use GPRS and access the internet wirelessly via your S56?

If so, could you try typing up a step-by-step for me? I have a friend who uses the S56 on Cingular as well... so I'd be interested in trying it out. Last time I tried it, I just couldn't get my 2215 past the "dialing..." dialog.

I'm also curious about the hand-off from the 2215 to your BT headset when you dial via contacts. 8O

rpommier
12-17-2003, 12:06 AM
Try these out, they're from Howard forums and the help I got from RacerX on the Pocket PC Thoughts Wireless forum

For CSD, the settings are:
User name: [email protected]
Password: CINGULAR1
Phone #: 415-244-1012

From my limited understanding, I believe GPRS offers a slightly faster connection which is always on (does not require dial up). GPRS, where available, is paid for by the amount of data downloaded. CSD is paid for by using your minutes connected. If this is incorrect, please let me know.

GPRS Settings

Number to Dial: *99***1#
Modem String: +cgdcont=1,"IP","ISP.CINGULAR"
APN (if it asks you): isp.cingular
User ID: [email protected]
Pass: ZXY203DC9K0402

dmy
12-17-2003, 12:25 AM
Sounds excellent... Is that a feature of the headset of a specific way you have your Ipaq & S56 configured? I have a cheapo BT headset that I use with my S56, it gets the job done nicely.

Nope... just paired em up and off it went. Now.... there is something to do with the dialer... Read on...

Also, a Bluetooth headset that supports both the "Headset" and "Handsfree" BT protocols is a must IMHO. Both the s56 and the T616 support the handsfree profile and you'll get far better performance out of that stack than the headset profile.

Thanks for your input! Do you have your 2215 configured to be able to use GPRS and access the internet wirelessly via your S56?

Actually.... it's set up to do the following:
Connect via WiFi, if that fails....
Connect via my Socket wired 10-baseT card, if that fails...
Connect via GPRS (to the cell phone via Bluetooth), if that fails....
Connect via CSD.... and if that fails I'm SOL 8O

rpommier had the basic information for connecting to Cingular... and there are more notes on the HowardForum website. One thing however.... if you can't connect from the phone via GPRS, you're in bad shape.... get that working first. Then if you have problems, you'll need to call Cingular and talk to TECH SUPPORT (as opposed to Customer Care) as there's a provisioning issue. I recall it was something like they had me configured with AP2 and to connect from the iPAQ I needed AP2 and AP4. I'm honestly not sure about the letters, but I am sure about the numbers. You also might get someone telling you you have to buy the DataConnect software. I didn't need it and I knew it so I had her transfer me to someone who knew more.

Finally.... to get the contact dialing etc all working, it helps to have phone management software on the PDA.... Running Voice GSM, Connect2Internet, or PocketPhone Tools are examples. It really simplifies the setup, connection, and dialing from the contacts list. I just finished my trial with Pocket Phone Tools.... had a couple of minor issues but it works. I know that Running Voice is considered to be the best out there.... and then Connect2Internet looks interesting as well, so I'll be taking a look at the second two ASAP to decide what I like. Problem is there's no trial for the second two :roll:

Maybe someone else can offer a commentary on Running Voice and Connect2Internet?

D.

rpommier
12-17-2003, 02:50 AM
Thanks cloud dancer, I thought you were dialing natively from the Ipaq. I have Pocket Informant and it has the option to dial via bluetooth, but it doesn't work. I'm going to hunt on their forums. Maybe it's a PI issue... I thought it was a problem with the phone.

I agree with Cloud, GPRS is easier to setup. Get it going first, then mess with WAP or CSD. If you shoot for WAP/CSD, you'll only get frustrated. GPRS is easier to troubleshoot since it connects much faster. CSD takes at least 20secs to connect, makes for long testing sessions. I gave up on using CSD to dial my ISP, too many variables, ISP, Phone, Cingular, tooymany unknowns.

I can email you a document from Cingular that may help also. If you really want to clear things up check out the Navas website, do a google for 'Navas Cingular'

Rod

dmy
12-17-2003, 04:51 AM
Thanks cloud dancer, I thought you were dialing natively from the Ipaq. I have Pocket Informant and it has the option to dial via bluetooth, but it doesn't work. I'm going to hunt on their forums. Maybe it's a PI issue... I thought it was a problem with the phone.Rod

Rod,

I am dialing from the IPaq..... that's why I mentioned the dialer software. you need something to translate the contact list into the commands for the Cell..... that's where one of the phone management programs comes in. You can also dial with a dial pad on the iPAQ.

Hmmmm..... maybe... I should have gotten a GSM card for my iPAQ rather than a phone. A PocketPC Smartphone without it getting obsolite.

D.

gabrandt
12-30-2003, 02:34 PM
I am dialing from the IPaq..... that's why I mentioned the dialer software. you need something to translate the contact list into the commands for the Cell..... that's where one of the phone management programs comes in. You can also dial with a dial pad on the iPAQ.

One more question on this. What type of partnership do you have with the S56? I just got one from AT&T and when creating the partnership the only connection types it created shortcuts for were dial-up and serial port. Is this all that is needed along with the dialer software to make and receive calls on the iPAQ?

TIA