View Full Version : XDAII in Canada?

Jeff Rutledge
12-05-2003, 11:26 PM
I saw this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21052) and it made me wonder how many Canucks have purchased one here and how easy or hard it was to do.

So...anybody?

Jason Dunn
12-05-2003, 11:58 PM
Well, you know that Tek 'n Toys has them, right?

http://estore.shopplex.com/app/storefront.aspx?cat_id=290&inv_id=31112230446767&modid=30214092059015&aid=5

They're a Calgary company, and the devices aren't SIM-locked, so you could just pop in whatever SIM you have and it would work. That's the beauty of GSM. :-D

dh
12-06-2003, 12:09 AM

http://estore.shopplex.com/app/storefront.aspx?cat_id=290&inv_id=31112230446767&modid=30214092059015&aid=5

They're a Calgary company, and the devices aren't SIM-locked, so you could just pop in whatever SIM you have and it would work. That's the beauty of GSM. :-D
Although you need the GNP of Quebec to buy one.

Jeff Rutledge
12-06-2003, 12:30 AM

Wow, I never realized that they were a Calgary company. Now I need to start working on the boss. 8)

Jeff Rutledge
12-06-2003, 12:32 AM

Although you need the GNP of Quebec to buy one.

You're right, they are up there. On the other hand, I spent more on my 3870 which was arguably the worst iPAQ put into circulation. From what I've read, the XDAII is a solid device.

Kadegboye
12-07-2003, 04:23 PM
Hi Guys,
Tek-N-Toys prices are a little higher than normal. You can get it for some $70 cheaper from eXpansys. This can buy you an SD card. They may have some in stock any time from Dec 8.
Kay.

cshields1
12-31-2003, 02:34 AM
Tek n Toys MDA II is $840, Expansys i-Mate XDA II is $833 ... don't "see" the $70 difference...

drj
12-31-2003, 02:44 AM
Lets be clear though. Tekntoys are selling a GERMAN MDA II.

They are german manuals and have German Rom which they flash with another ROM (Imate? or whatever ROM they can hack onto it) to make them English.

Problem as you can see if you read around is that when the offical updates come out you had better hope that Tekntoys are still around (didn't they just start up?) cause you have no warranty and no offical rom to put on.

Personally I would never buy a GERMAN MDA II device. I would and DID purchase an Imate from www.compume.com or from Arne @ www.ppcw.net would be another good source.

The Imates are all enlgish, english manuals and have worldwide warranties and when the updates are released you just download them and put them on.

To me its too much money to buy a hacked MDA II device.

werb
01-02-2004, 08:24 AM
Lets be clear though. Tekntoys are selling a GERMAN MDA II.

They are german manuals and have German Rom which they flash with another ROM (Imate? or whatever ROM they can hack onto it) to make them English.

Problem as you can see if you read around is that when the offical updates come out you had better hope that Tekntoys are still around (didn't they just start up?) cause you have no warranty and no offical rom to put on.

Personally I would never buy a GERMAN MDA II device. I would and DID purchase an Imate from www.compume.com or from Arne @ www.ppcw.net would be another good source.

The Imates are all enlgish, english manuals and have worldwide warranties and when the updates are released you just download them and put them on.

To me its too much money to buy a hacked MDA II device.

And if you did your research you would see that we fully support our clients by offering updates and support. we have even offered a clean version of the 1.6 ROM upgrade.

We are officially out of the MDA 2 and are now selling the I-Mate and all availiable accessories. Please watch the site over the next two days for pricing on the accessories and the switch to the I-Mate. If you have any questions please email [email protected] and we will be happy to help you in any way possible.

gratefuled
01-02-2004, 07:22 PM
drj,
Regarding your other part of your post I agree that there are some risks with buying the MDA II, which was flashed with English Rom or hacked as you say. The device is warranted however, by T-Mobile Germany. Whether Tek N Toys is in business or not I bought the MDA II from them, because their company has been around for a while and is a credible organization, which I thoroughly checked out prior to my purchase.
If I have an iMate, dealing with a warranty claim, if the supplier your bought it from, Arne or whomever, goes out of business, will not be very easy either.
Lets face it when you buy a device from outside of the country you are taking risks. I knew this going into the purchase, but I wanted the device enough to outweigh the risks. In my opinion the ppc phone is the same HTC 2003, no mater who labels it.
I agree with you that the support for the iMate seems more universal.
Ed

drj
01-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Werb,

Thank you for clarifying your position at tekntoys. I think that you are "officially out of the MDA2" and are "now selling iMATE PPC PE" says it all in one very clear statement. Again, thank you so much for clearing the air for everyone.

drj
01-03-2004, 04:20 PM
Tmobile Germany warranty? I have to disagree. By hacking a new ROM on the MDA II you have voided all warranty that you might have had. Not to mention the legalities.

As for the imate warranty it does not matter where I purchased from the warranty is by HTC the manufacutre of the device. I quote from the user manual:

"HTC will provide the customer with instructions regarding how and when the defective product should be returned to HTC and will pay all costs in connection with both the return of the defective product to HTC and the repaired produt back to the customer."

Seems like Tekntoys are an ok company. I like to support Canadian. Their clear choice to now sell the imates speaks to this issue.