View Full Version : WM2003 LEAP Networking?

TheGMan
12-05-2003, 10:56 PM
I can not seem to authenticate to our corporate LEAP WLAN.

I have a H4155 with built-in WiFi card that is suppose to support LEAP. After working countless hours by myself and with network admin we can not get authentication to take place.

My admin has two thoughts ...

Apparently cisco has three different LEAP types each requiring a different firmware ... "Draft 7", "Draft 8", and "802.1x". All AP and WiFi cards must use the same firmware for everything to work properly because the different firmwares are not compatable with each other. Our network (cards and AP) is using the most current firmware "802.1x" and he suspects that the built-in card is using "Draft 8", thus we are unable to authenticate.

Does anyone know which LEAP is supported by the H4155 built-in wifi card? or if the firmware is updatable?

My admin is also curious as to how LEAP is triggered in the authentication process on WM2003. There is a Settings-System-LEAP program that is updated with the appropriate information, but no other setting that we can find that tells the connection or the hardware to pass LEAP information. Thoughts?

My admin also feels that this should probably be set in Settings-Connection-Connections-Advanced-Network Card-Wireless Network-Authenticate where there an option for "Enable network access using IEEE 802.1x", but the only options are PEAP and TLS ... no LEAP. Thoughts?

Jon Westfall
12-06-2003, 07:19 AM
I don't know if you can work around with the builtin software, however Funk Software makes a nice program called Odyssey Client that can run on PPC 2003 and authenticate to a LEAP network. It costs around $45 for a single license, and is available for trial at http://www.funksoftware.com.