View Full Version : PocketMVP problem

PoweriPaq
12-04-2003, 11:37 PM
I never had a good results with PocketMVP. So I tried it again with the new and updated version for Window Mobile 2003. I compressed everything according to bigds website (http://www.bigdsvideo.com/bigdsvideoencodingguides/) and it's compressed real nice. The video is great too, except that the video pauses after each 15 or 20 seconds of the movie for the remainder of the movie from start to finish. The sound don't lag, but it does drop. The video stop and it stop playing again, which made me miss a good a second or so of clips. It's kind of irritating when it's doing that every 15 to 20 seconds on the movie.

Anyone else have this problem, if the problem can't be solve, I'll just stick with PocketTv, the compression is bigger, but at least it doesn't lag. PocketMVP also dropped a lot of frames at the end of movie, which shows in the statistics.

Pat Logsdon
12-04-2003, 11:48 PM
How long is the movie you're watching? I had that problem with one of my recent movies, and I just split it in half and that solved the problem. You may also want to make sure that you don't have any other apps running when PocketMVP is. I like to have at least 15mb of free space when playing a movie...

Falstaff
12-05-2003, 01:07 AM
You may also try increasing the cache size, I think by default it is the minimum but it goes up to 15MB.

Mitchybums
12-05-2003, 02:30 AM
It depends on the quality setting your using.
Maybe the stream is too good a quality.
U encode movies for my 128mb sd card, and for a 2 hr movie I use divx5.05 and encoding on 100-120 kbs video.
For audio I set the sound to mono (dont use headphones, and only one speaker in my ipaq) and encode it on 24kbs/22khz mono (usualy 4kbs it shows)
I havent found a way to do it directly from dvd (I use davideo for that , way easier, and playable on buildin wmplayer)
I reencode my divx collection through virtualdub
I do set the frames on render every other frame. Cant tell the difference

PoweriPaq
12-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.

The movie is full length movie, like X2 that I just bought. It's sitting on my microdrive. The settings is at 250kbps for video and 20kbps/11hz mono for sound and render in every frame. I also did a resize as the guide told me to do so at 320x240. I increased the cache sized to full to 12mb, and by 30 minutes into the movie it hang. I ran out of internal storage.

I have 30mb of internal storage available, and ram as well, I have Pocket Hackmaster set at full blast and no other apps are running. At first I played it without Pocket Hackmaster. But after the pause in every 20 seconds, I thought I need to overclock it. But that didn't matter.

PoweriPaq
12-05-2003, 06:22 PM
How's the quality at that bitrate? Must be pixelated?

U encode movies for my 128mb sd card, and for a 2 hr movie I use divx5.05 and encoding on 100-120 kbs video.
For audio I set the sound to mono (dont use headphones, and only one speaker in my ipaq) and encode it on 24kbs/22khz mono (usualy 4kbs it shows)
I havent found a way to do it directly from dvd (I use davideo for that , way easier, and playable on buildin wmplayer)

bigds63
12-07-2003, 02:21 PM
This should take care of your problem.....Open PocketMVP, Click on settings,configure,and on the general tab put check marks only in KEEP ALIVE, PLAY AT FILE OPEN, NO AVI INDEX....Now on the advanced tab, UNCHECK Enable Cache, This is important because enabling cache is causing your pause. Enabling Cache is needed if you are using say something smaller than a 150mhz PPC. What you are doing when enabling Cache is loading up the video in the givin Cache you select, and then when it has played that part it pauses to load the next bit a video next in line, So just about any PPC that has a bigger processor than a 150mhz should be able to handle the specs in my guides, without enabling Cache when it comes to Divx.....WMP is another story... :) Please post back and let me know if that takes care of it.....

bigds63
12-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.

The movie is full length movie, like X2 that I just bought. It's sitting on my microdrive. The settings is at 250kbps for video and 20kbps/11hz mono for sound and render in every frame. I also did a resize as the guide told me to do so at 320x240. I increased the cache sized to full to 12mb, and by 30 minutes into the movie it hang. I ran out of internal storage.

I have 30mb of internal storage available, and ram as well, I have Pocket Hackmaster set at full blast and no other apps are running. At first I played it without Pocket Hackmaster. But after the pause in every 20 seconds, I thought I need to overclock it. But that didn't matter. PART 2, If what I said above dont help you PoweriPaq , then double check my guide . I suggest in the frame rate to decimate by 2 and not render every frame...decimating by 2 will give smoother play back and like Mitchybums said, You really cant tell the difference that much. But then again your PPC might be able to handle full frame rate and simply unchecking the unable Cache may do it for you...Im using a Dell Axim 300, and it can handle it fairly well at full rate but I like using half frame because it also encodes faster and the video looks fine. All the sample video I have on my site is done at half frame(decimate by 2) .....just a thought

PoweriPaq
12-14-2003, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the reply BigDS.

My problem wasn't the encoding, it was because the program I downloaded wasn't compatible with WM2003.

I found a program by someone else, WinCESoft or something, that runs PocketMVP in WM2003.

I even encoded at 30fps and at 250kbps with no pauses whatsoever. I figured that if I want the video to be at 200megs, I just put 200kbps and voila. Well, about 200 megs, not exactly 200 megs.

Settings are 200kbps video with Divx 5.1.1 and Audio at 20kbps mono at 11hz.

Sorry for any mistype and thanks for the help.

PoweriPaq
12-14-2003, 09:15 AM
I tried your suggestion and go with 120kbps, and it was actually under 120 megs in size. But it was pixelated to hell, I couldn't see worth a damn thing. Sorry. At least in my ppc.

120kbps video at 20kbps audio mono 11khz.

bigds63
12-14-2003, 10:09 AM
YAH ,you can take the size down to make smaller files like Mitchybums said, but I wouldnt go to much lower than say 150kbps for the video. Just to pixelated... Oh and by the way ,I just added a new guide within my DVD ripping section to give people another choice to convert VOB files into mpegs.... :D