View Full Version : I deleated a program, but now I can't deleat the icon ... HELP?!?!

tfing3705
12-04-2003, 07:06 AM
I downloaded a couple of free programs onto my iPAQ and then deleated them when I decided NOT to keep them. But now I can't get rid of the stupid leftover empty blue/white box shortcut icons. 8O Anyone have any ideas for how I can get rid of them? Thanks a bunch!

toxostoma
12-04-2003, 07:55 AM
An awesome freeware program is Total Commander (http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/index.php?soft=653). It's a file explorer (MUCH better than the built in file explorer on PPCs). The resco file explorer is probably slightly better, but not when you have to pay for it. Total Commander can zip and unzip files, plus a whole lot more.

Anyway, you can navigate to the \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ folder, find these icons, and physically delete them...

I should point out that you don't need to use Total Commander to do this. You can just use the built in file explorer. I just recommned Total Commander because it's awesome.

tfing3705
12-04-2003, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the software suggestion, "toxostoma". I may give "Total Commander" a try after I begin to get a bit more used to the system.

As for physically deleating the icons ... I tried but the operating system keeps telling me, "Cannot find 'SusperBomber' (or one of its compenents). Make sure the path and filename are correct and all the required libraries are available." And this is what I don't understand ... of COURSE they're not "available" ... I deleated them! So, how do I get rid of the stupid empty icon. :roll:

Steven Cedrone
12-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Make sure you are not running the missing app, you want to tap and hold on the icon, then when you get the list of options, delete the icon...

Steve

toxostoma
12-04-2003, 06:17 PM
The error message you describe sounds like what would happen if you tap on the icon (think of this as double clicking the icon on a desktop). You get the error because when you tap on the icon, your PPC is trying to open the program (which has obviously been deleted). As Steven Cedrone said, by tapping once and holding for a second or two, you'll get a menu where you can choose delete. This will delete the shortcut from the programs folder...

jmkeuning
12-04-2003, 07:23 PM
Sounds like you are trying to delete the shortcut by going to the Start menu > Programs > games. that's not how to do it. You have to go to File Explorer > My device > Start Menu > Programs > Games. Try that.

Ripper014
12-05-2003, 01:19 AM
There is another program that will help the newbie remove items as well. Try and locate a program called Remover... you can find it here.

http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/index.php?setlang=English

There some people having issues with it, but it has worked flawlessly for me.