View Full Version : Motion Control and Landscape Mode = Awesome!

Jason Dunn
12-04-2003, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Page=2&Id=547' target='_blank'>http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Page=2&Id=547</a><br /><br /></div>"Motion control and mirroring are somewhat related by the fact that they both use the mydevice's motion sensor to detect what is happening with the phone. Motion control works quite well, and is not too sensitive, as I expected it to be. The most obvious example of motion control is the mydevice's ability to flip the screen from landscape to portrait orientation, and vice versa - with almost no lag in most situations. This is done simply by moving the handset into the direction you want it to be. I'm still surprised at how intuitive this is. You can easily switch between the different modes, yet still put the phone down on a flat surface without it changing."<br /><br />This is an article about a smartphone that has a very interesting feature - landscape mode controlled by simply turning the device into landscape orientation. Could you imagine that on a Pocket PC? 8O Talk about cool! Go check out the article - the company that's making this phone has a few other clever interface tricks...

Thinkingmandavid
12-04-2003, 02:29 PM
That feature would be great on any ppc and add convenience. I also like the mirroring effect....
For an example of mirroring, let's say I'm browsing MobileBurn.com on the mydevice, and I am currently in the middle of the page. Also assume that the mydevice is flat in my palm. Now, if I want to scroll up to the to the very top of the page, all I have to do is lightly touch the side button and tilt the mydevice forwards. If I want to then scroll down the left edge of the page, I would merely touch the control button on the side and tilt the mydevice down and left at the same time. So you can see that it is very intuitive, and it works surprisingly well.

The next question is if this becomes available for a ppc what would it be worth? A 2215 is currently 399.99 at Best Buy, if the Motion Control & Mirroring were available on it, what would be the final price of a 2215? I am using a 2215 just to get an idea of price and perceptive value.

jgrnt1
12-04-2003, 03:15 PM
I have a Canon digital camera that has a simple rotation feature. When you turn the camera on its side to take a portrait photo, a sensor detects it. When you display the photo on the LCD or on a television through the camera, it knows which way is "up" and rotates the photo, so you don't have to turn your head sideways.

It sounds like the mydevice has 360 degree sensors, something like the Gyration Ultramouse. Though it works very well for the mouse (I have one) I'm not sure how well it would work in the real world for the mydevice. If you laid it flat on a desk or table, how would it know whether it should be in landscape or portrait mode? If you pulled it out of a pocket, laid it down and the orientation was off 90 degrees, how would you change it? Turning it 90 degrees would rotate the image and you would still have the same problem. I assume there is some type of menu option to rotate the display. I think this could get rather annoying. I use my iPAQ flat on a table all the time. Another scenario -- you have it flat on a table and spin it sideways so a colleague can see what you've pulled up. Instead, the image rotates 90 degrees and he/she still has to walk around the table to view what is on the screen.

dMores
12-04-2003, 03:21 PM
wow.
the device looks really nice, and seems to have a lot of features packed in.

now, if only they could use an operating system that has a lot of support from developers, like symbian, wince or ms smartphone. that would help it a lot.

PPCRules
12-04-2003, 08:08 PM
... landscape mode controlled by simply turning the device into landscape orientation. Could you imagine that on a Pocket PC? 8O Talk about cool!
Let's just get native landscape mode w/o soft reset, first, okay?

tach911
12-04-2003, 11:33 PM
I saw this device two days a go on the IPAN event (a small Dutch Internet Community) that was held in the Arena Hotel in Amsterdam.

The marketing-lady from MyOrigo held a small presentation, I managed to play with the device, call and play with the gyro-technology. The software hasn't been tuned a lot, and it will be expected to retail within three and four months. It will be branded by the carriers.

http://www.dilmy.com/gallery/MyOrigo

khavalier
12-06-2003, 06:04 PM
Compaq was experimenting with this sort of physical gesture several years ago. Check out reference articles on their "itsy" pda.

Here's a link:

http://www.research.compaq.com/wrl/projects/Itsy/

Khav