View Full Version : I'm having PPC withdrawal.

xoiph
12-03-2003, 09:26 PM
I recently decided to eBay my trusty iPAQ and cell phone and get a Danger Hiptop/Sidekick to replace both of them. I must say, I really miss my PPC. The Sidekick (or CSK, as it is known on the Hiptop forums) is a sweet little device, and I do enjoy TMobile's unlimited data plan, but sometimes I find myself digging through my pockets looking for my PPC to jot down a note or phone number, and all i find is my clunky CSK. I'll probably break down and buy a low end PPC before the year is up... Anyone else experience similar behavior after switching to another mobile platform? And how long did you last before switching back?

Palmguy
12-03-2003, 10:38 PM
Sort of similar...twice in the last seven months I have decided to try to switch to Palm OS, both times I didn't even last a week before going back. Back when the 2215 first came out I sold my 3950 and bought a Zire 71, sent it back to Palm a week later. Just last week I bought a Clie NX-80V, five days later brought it back and now I'm back in a PPC with my new e805.

Janak Parekh
12-03-2003, 10:59 PM
I've debated, off and on, getting a CSK -- but only as a complement to my Pocket PC. Among the main reasons is lack of Outlook sync and custom app installation abilities on the CSK. I have to ask, xoiph, how reliable do you find it? Every time I get tempted, I look over on hiptop.com and get scared a thousand miles away -- the CSK seems far less reliable than the original iPAQ ;)

--janak

xoiph
12-04-2003, 01:17 AM
I have been using the CSK for about two weeks, and so far, I have no complaints. Internet pages load relatively quickly, and text input is much faster than with my iPAQ or even the Treo I had for a week. Plus the internet is always on, without any BT configuration, dongles, or tricky IR modem setup. A lot more people stop me to ask about the SK than they did for any PPC I've ever had; the flip screen built-in-keyboard design is impressive. I would say it is about as reliable as my iPAQ was. GPRS reception is good about 80% of the time. I have visited the hiptop.com forums, and everyone seems to gripe about Tmobile, and the service, but everyone loves the Hiptop. The only thing I miss from the PPC field is increased resolution, the touchscreen, and 3rd party software. If you could somehow get Windows Mobile to run on a Hiptop, you'd have the perfect device.

JustinGTP
12-04-2003, 02:48 AM
Sort of similar...twice in the last seven months I have decided to try to switch to Palm OS, both times I didn't even last a week before going back. Back when the 2215 first came out I sold my 3950 and bought a Zire 71, sent it back to Palm a week later. Just last week I bought a Clie NX-80V, five days later brought it back and now I'm back in a PPC with my new e805.

Didnt you just get a 4150?

Palmguy
12-04-2003, 02:55 AM
About a month and a half ago. I got bit by the hi-res bug though... :lol: I'm an impulsive person :wink:

http://members.tccoa.com/palmguy/PANA0072.gif

JustinGTP
12-04-2003, 03:01 AM
About a month and a half ago. I got bit by the hi-res bug though... :lol: I'm an impulsive person :wink:

Wow - but havent you noticed the difference in size and weight? I saw the 405 recently and it is huge!

-Justin.

Palmguy
12-04-2003, 03:05 AM
Oh yeah, big difference in size between these two, but so far I'm happy. Pretty much everywhere that I go, I have my backpack with me, so I just throw the e805 in my bag. The screen is drop-dead GORGEOUS. The above pic does not do it any justice at all. Time will tell whether or not I can deal with the size, but I'm not sure that I would want to go back to QVGA. I'm looking forward very much to hp releasing a VGA iPAQ, I think that the execution will be better. Toshiba's screen itself is an excellent piece, they just hobbled it up with their support safety mechanisms because they are lazy. So much runs beautifully in VGA; PIE, Bible readers, all the Office programs, it is well worth it. Also a big plus is dual expansion plus built-in wifi.

Candygogo
12-04-2003, 04:16 AM
I recently decided to eBay my trusty iPAQ and cell phone and get a Danger Hiptop/Sidekick to replace both of them. I must say, I really miss my PPC. The Sidekick (or CSK, as it is known on the Hiptop forums) is a sweet little device, and I do enjoy TMobile's unlimited data plan, but sometimes I find myself digging through my pockets looking for my PPC to jot down a note or phone number, and all i find is my clunky CSK. I'll probably break down and buy a low end PPC before the year is up... Anyone else experience similar behavior after switching to another mobile platform? And how long did you last before switching back?

I did the 'flip-flop' thing a few times in the past. I've done the switcheroo with Casio BE-300s, Visors, Audiovox, and Sony Clies. I've been tempted to pick up a Clie GT50 because of a sale, but throught better of it :wink:

Jon Westfall
12-04-2003, 06:18 AM
The sidekick is tempting to me as a "rugged" device to use when I don't feel like subjecting my precious i-mate to extreme conditions. Now, if I only had the money to spend on a... spare.. device like this ;)

Janak Parekh
12-04-2003, 06:19 AM
The sidekick is tempting to me as a "rugged" device to use when I don't feel like subjecting my precious i-mate to extreme conditions.
Before you say that, read the hiptop.com forums. The perception one gets from there is that the Sidekick is perhaps the most delicate electronic device known. 8O Of course, people with problems tend to post more, but it still sounds scary.

xoiph, great to hear it works well. :D I suspect I'm going to continue wavering for the foreseeable future. :lol:

--janak

Thinkingmandavid
12-04-2003, 08:56 AM
I think the side kick looks cool and of course the usefulness of the keyboard. I remember when it first came out I was tempted to buy one because of how handy the keyboard looked to me. At the time I was using a REvo Plus so the keyboard for me has always been a plus, but I didnt feel it had enough pda functions that I like and find useful such as word and excel as an example.
I dont want to switch providers since Iam with Cingular and I dont want to leave the wm 2003.

mrkablooey
12-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Anyone else experience similar behavior after switching to another mobile platform? And how long did you last before switching back?

Are you crazy? :bangin:

I have a Sidekick (BWSK ;) ) and do like it but wouldn't use it daily as a "platform". My wife is in the same boat--she uses the Sidekick but wants Outlook syncing. She'll have a PPC soon.

the-mang
12-04-2003, 01:51 PM
Well I'm in the same boat....I bought the 2210, and loved it. But it was terrible trying to sync with my Mac. So I buckled and bought a T3. The screen is great, but I'm not so sure about it. I kinda miss my 2210, but don't know what to do. Microsoft seems so innovative and Palm...well...it's Palm if you know what I mean.

mrkablooey
12-04-2003, 05:13 PM
the-mang:
I sync my 2215 with my iBook all the time using The Missing Sync. Works fine. I have trouble installing EXE files (obviously) but I have an old PC for that or use my machine at work. I just sold my iQue to cover my 2215 and all the other stuff I bought for it (including a CF GPS and Mapopolis--not as nice as the iQue but it'll do)