View Full Version : For those of you that got the 2210 rubber grip replacements...

sublime
12-03-2003, 08:38 PM
How do they work? I just ordered mine today, and I'm worried about how well they work. I'm not good at building things, so the task of putting rubber things on my machine seems a little daunting. Also, do you find that the new grips are starting to peel off like the old ones? Is this a permanent solution, or something that you'll have to redo every few months?

Godsongz
12-03-2003, 09:12 PM
I received my replacements on October 20th, and so far so good. The most minor beginnings of the bubbles are starting to form now though, so we'll see what they're like in another month or two. As I recall, the original grips degraded faster than this though and my 2215 is still handled just as frequently.

JustinGTP
12-04-2003, 12:31 AM
The grips you get are the exact same as the ones that fall off. My new ones havent fallen off yet - but Im going to give them some time.

There is no "better" design or longer clips, its the same old same old. Disappointing really.

-Justin.

JPack
12-04-2003, 01:43 AM
I'm not good at building things, so the task of putting rubber things on my machine seems a little daunting. There's an HP video that shows how to remove and install the grips.

http://www.compaq.com/support/files/handhelds/us/SideGripRemoveAndReplace.wmv

gtmtnbiker98
12-04-2003, 02:38 AM
Can you order them or are they only available as a warranty replacement?

jimH
12-04-2003, 05:41 AM
I recently ordered 2 pair of grips to replace the ones on my 2210 and 2215. Although there are statements that the replacement grips are the same as the originals, the replacements seem to me a bit smoother. They do not have the two "bumps" at the apex of the grips. So far, no problems with either set. If HP continues to replace the grips as part of the warranty requirements then I am not particularly worried as to whether they start falling apart again. I received each set overnight from HP. I give them credit for keeping up their side of the warranty agreement, at least for now.

For those who have not yet ordered your replacement, I would suggest you have your serial number handy as well as the part number for the grips. With that information, it took all of five minutes to get the order placed.

Jim

absolutVenky
01-06-2004, 09:58 PM
The replacement grips I received early November are now starting to separate. If I remember correctly the original ones also separated in about 2 months. Just doesn't make sense that HP sent the same kind of grips after acknowledging the problem.

ALP
01-12-2004, 11:38 AM
I have the same problem with my 2200, but I dont know where and how can I order these grips, please help.

draiken
01-12-2004, 05:13 PM
I've been looking around both US and Mexico HP sites with no luck, I can't find where to order the repacement grips

Any help?

Steven Cedrone
01-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Well, if you can get someone on the phone, I believe the part number is: 349036-001

Steve

Robb Bates
01-12-2004, 07:02 PM
I think the reason HP hasn't fixed the problem is that they don't know the problem.

When I called to get my replacements, they asked if I use the included slip case. I thought "What does that have to do with it?" and told them no I bought the HP leather belt case. (which is very nice if you're curious) and the guy had to check to see if that was covered. Huh???

Well, when I got my grips, the installation instructions said something about the included slip case scratching the side grips and nothing about them delaminating or falling off.

So maybe HP doesn't realize the actual problem, or maybe there is some ulterior motive on their part. Maybe the next person that calls for new grips should explain this to HP.

Robb Bates

absolutVenky
01-12-2004, 08:53 PM
I think the reason HP hasn't fixed the problem is that they don't know the problem.

Well, for the first few weeks after people started reporting the problem (around August '03) HP had no comment but eventually promised replacement kits that became available in October. But the replacements are the same type and will also peel apart. I had no trouble getting iPAQ tech support on the phone and explaining the problem. They overnighted another set and I probably will have to do this every three months.

Leo the 3rd
01-13-2004, 02:16 AM
Well I ordered replacement grips last Friday and got them today. They are the exact same. One thing I noticed after removing my old grips was the plastic connect at the bottom had snapped off - probably due to strain of removing the 2215 from the sleeve provided by HP. Well I'll no longer use the sleeve and instead will invest in a Rhinoskin aluminum case. Too bad there isn't a better solution. Next iPAQ I get will not have rubber grips that can slide off.