View Full Version : Changing The Files Synchronization Folder On The PC

Lewis68
12-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Whenever I setup a new partnership, the Files Synchronization folder is automaticlly created as "[Device Name] My Documents" under the "My Documents" folder on the PC. Is there any way to change, or specify prior to partnering, it to a different location?

Thanks,
Lewis

Islanti
12-04-2003, 12:23 AM
It requires some registry editing on your desktop. If this scares you, maybe someone else knows of an easier way.

1. Fully sync your PPC.
2. Disconnect your PPC.
3. Goto Start -> Run and type "regedit" (no quotes).
4. Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners\abcdwxyz\Services\Synchronization". Note that "abcdwxyz" represents the unique 8-digit identifier for your PPC partnership. If you only have one partner, you should have only one entry in the Partners list.
4a. If you have multiples, open ActiveSync.
4b. Note the name of your PPC (under the row of icons). Make sure you don't delete this one!
4c. Select "File > Mobile Device".
4d. Select the extra / old PocketPC device.
4e. Select "File > Delete Partnership".
5. With the "Synchronization" registry folder selected in RegEdit, look for the "Briefcase Path" key in the right-hand pane.
6. Double-click the "Briefcase Path" entry to edit the desktop sync folder location.
6a. Be sure to include a "\" (backslash) character at the end!
7. Close RegEdit.
8. Copy your old desktop sync folder to the new folder.
9. Delete the old desktop folder.
10. Sync your Pocket PC.

Wiggin
12-04-2003, 12:54 AM
You might try just "moving" the folder once it has been created by ActiveSync. As long as you drag & drop the folder, Windows just might take care of redirecting all pointers to it. Plus, it is much easier to try than reg changes, although reg changes can be fun also! :D