View Full Version : PocketPC Addict Reviews Pocket Mechanic

Janak Parekh
12-02-2003, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1397' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/modul...iewtopic&t=1397</a><br /><br /></div>Here's a nice review of a program I didn't even know existed - Pocket Mechanic is termed the "best storage card management utility" for Pocket PCs.<br /><br />"Pocket Mechanic has a host of tools available in the application. Some you will use and some you will not. Of the tools that I will use: Media card Format and Disk Cleanup it does them extremely well. I did have a hiccup in the formatting but nothing of any importance. There are a number of other tools that I will probably not use after today (but ya’ never know). I especially like that this ONE application can replace my current installations of CNETX Flash Format and Space Reclaimer."<br /><br />If you're interested, you can get more info on the product (and buy a copy) from <a href="http://www.handango.com/BrainStore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&productId=92570">Handango</a> [affiliate].

SassKwatch
12-03-2003, 02:34 AM
Here's a nice review of a program I didn't even know existed - Pocket Mechanic is termed the "best storage card management utility" for Pocket PCs.
I plead total ignorance regarding these storage card utility apps. Can they really make a diff in card usability/performance?

griph
12-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Here's a nice review of a program I didn't even know existed - Pocket Mechanic is termed the "best storage card management utility" for Pocket PCs.
I plead total ignorance regarding these storage card utility apps. Can they really make a diff in card usability/performance?

I gave it a try - it had problems formatting a 128mB SD Card - using any of the FAT/Cluster Size options - just kept refusing. The File Name app was useful in that you could rename eg CF Card to Microdrive - but it wasn't a smart option associated with card props so any CF type card became Microdrive rather than detecting card name and displaying it accordingly. A lot of the utilities were useful, defrag and format options in particular - provided the latter works.

MacPPC
12-03-2003, 11:11 PM
I purchased a copy and experienced a problem with the defrag uility. The developer was very responsive and fixed it in less than a day.

There is currently a 25% discount on all Anton Tomov products at Handango. The code is 4E5406. It expires 12/8/03.

dh
12-03-2003, 11:36 PM
I tried it and also got the errors when trying to format. The defrag utility seemed to take forever so I just formated my card in my card reader which is much quicker and easier. I have a Sandisk SD card so you can be sure I make frequent backups.

I still don't know what kind of FAT and cluster size I should be using. If the format errors are anything to go by, Pocket Mechanic isn't sure either. I know htis is done by a really good guy, so I'm sure the problems will be sorted.

MacPPC
12-04-2003, 02:56 AM
I tried it and also got the errors when trying to format. The defrag utility seemed to take forever so I just formated my card in my card reader which is much quicker and easier. I have a Sandisk SD card so you can be sure I make frequent backups.

Mine is a SanDisk SD as well. Download version 1.14 or later and the problem should be fixed.