View Full Version : Hotspot finder in South America?

cyj
12-02-2003, 07:25 AM
Does anyone know of a web site that would tell me where hotspots are in South America? I'm looking for one in Quito, Ecuador.

putthegundownkinkade
12-02-2003, 11:39 AM
Hi, i'm going to quito myself at the end of the week and i've been thinking the same thing. My best guesses so far are the Hilton Colon at the end of Amazonas, the Sheraton up on Naciones Unidas or the Universidad San Francisco which is down in Cumbaya in the valley, either wway i doubt there'll be too many places are there are plenty of very cheap internet cafe's in quito, mainly in the Mariscal and so i expect wi-fi hotspots will have lost out.

Will

cyj
12-03-2003, 08:56 PM
I was in Quito back in 2000-2001 and I agree with you. There were plenty of internet cafes all over the place. I found them all over Ecuador and Peru. I used my old iPaq 3635 mainly for reading books and articles I brought with me on CF. I did, however, find someone who let me use their dialup account in Quito. It was nice to be able to get news on my PDA and save articles and also synchronize some AvantGo custom websites.

Actually, I'm inquiring about hotspots for a friend and I think he has some needs for using his laptop. If when you're down there and you happen to verify hotspots, drop a line back to PPCT here when you have time either during or after your trip. He would be very greatful to know.

Thanks for the feedback.

putthegundownkinkade
12-04-2003, 04:10 PM
no probs, i'll be there on monday so i'll have a sniff around and report back,it'll be interesting to see what's available.

Will

cyj
12-05-2003, 06:32 AM
Excellent! I noticed on the Intel Centrino site that they are only posting about hotspots that meet certain prerequisites. I can sort of understand that, but then there's nothing listed at all for some countries.

I think people like Lonely Planet and Footprint should set up some kind of place on their websites to collect information on available hotspots.