View Full Version : background image

NBKC
12-01-2003, 03:13 AM
I just spent few hours trying to figure out how to make background images show properly and I'm still without any answer. The simple background image setting on windows mobile 2003 tends to over-brighten my image.

What programs do people use for this purpose?

Thanks.

Jason Dunn
12-01-2003, 04:17 AM
There's no magic way to do this other than taking your image into something like PhotoImpact (www.ulead.com) or another image editing program, setting a transparency number (start at, say, 50%), then seeing how it looks and adjusting it from there. The problem is that every model of Pocket PC has different LCD contrast values, so it's hard to get the "perfect" image on the first try.

PS - Moved to Multimedia

Falstaff
12-01-2003, 05:45 AM
Are you making themes for your PPC and the background image there is what you're asking about?

NBKC
12-01-2003, 06:22 AM
Are you making themes for your PPC and the background image there is what you're asking about?

Yeah.

Heh, I first thought the whole brightness issue was a weird feature built in the system. It's all clear now, thanks.

Edit: Well, to be honest I just recalled that when I played with Wisbar Advanced's background settings (for the toolbar) the contrast and brightness of the background image were much better. But yeah, I could set my images much darker one by one... If only there was an easier way to get the background images to show right.

Steven Cedrone
12-01-2003, 01:34 PM
Use the Theme Generator Power Toy... (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/downloads/pocketpc/powertoys.mspx)

Just remember to not automatically copy the theme over when done, it must be done manually...

Steve

NBKC
12-02-2003, 04:50 AM
Umm, where should I copy the theme on my pda?

And sorry for posting under a completely wrong category, I have no idea how that happened.

Falstaff
12-02-2003, 04:59 AM
I just copied mine into the main Windows folder and it worked.

NBKC
12-03-2003, 03:32 AM
Is there a theme builder that fully supports Windows Mobile 2003?

Falstaff
12-03-2003, 04:56 AM
There are ones that you can purchase, do a handango seearch. The PPC2002 is the only free one I know of. I think it's a lot easier to just drag and drop the themes rather than buy other software though.

NBKC
12-03-2003, 05:31 AM
True but the start menu, for example, clips my full-sized pictures, thus not displaying them correctly. The menu on 2002 is apparently narrower. Also the background pic of my today screen gets a white blank line on the right side of the screen which requires extra tweaking.