View Full Version : iPaq HQ Reviews iPAQ 5550

Jason Dunn
12-01-2003, 02:54 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ipaqhq.com/reviews/index.php?qid=148&catid=47' target='_blank'>http://www.ipaqhq.com/reviews/index...id=148&catid=47</a><br /><br /></div>" 'Why is this site reviewing a 5 month old PDA? That is old news!' - Admit it, that's what you are thinking. Right? Well, I'll answer anyway. In case you are unaware, iPaqHQ.com is a new site, it was created a few months after the h5550 came out. Now we have to go back and catch up so we can provide the most info for our community as we can. In fact the pending arrival of this Pocket PC is why I finally decided to create the site. <br /><br />I received this unit a week ago and it has only been outside of arms reach a few hours. Yes, I even slept with it under my pillow to see if the alarm works. I obviously have not run into the dead alarm trouble that many have complained about. It works just fine for me. Of course, I silenced it and fell back asleep anyhow. 3-4 hours of sleep a night is rough I tell you..."

ricksfiona
12-01-2003, 03:20 AM
I thought it was a good review. As a 5550 owner, I agree with the remarks. You really do need a 3rd party sniffer for the Wifi. The 5550 is very capable.

that_kid
12-01-2003, 04:14 AM
Well I've had nothing but great success with my 5555 and I've had all previous ipaqs 36xx-54xx and the 5555 is just great. I used to have a need to a cf slot so that I can use my sprint cf card but now that I have a bluetooth T610 that's not the case anymore. If I wasn't so dependant on the 128 megs of internal memory and the fingerprint scanner I would get the 4100. My 5555 has been a great performer, much better than my 5455 with windows mobile 2003 on it. At this point I think I'll have this one for a while.

arebelspy
12-01-2003, 04:46 AM
The 5555 was my favorite PPC ever until I got my XDA II, which beats the pants off it. :D

IMO. ;)

-arebelspy

gorkon280
12-01-2003, 06:22 AM
I have to agree with some points, but the fact that I can get a sleeve to run PC Cards is just the berries. I still don't have that sleeve just yet, but it's on my short list of accessories I need. I also like that the CF Plus adds a battery which annoyingly will put messages out about that battery when it's low (can they fix this damn bug!!). The PC Card sleeve also has an extra battery. Granted, knowing what I know now, would I purchase the 5555? I would say yes because the ability to read and CARRY the hardware for CF cards WHEN NECESSARY and ONLY when necessary is nice. If your not going to use a CF card, you can just carry the pda nekkid! The extra ram is awesome...one note.....it's nice to have the file store, but after a few minutes, you won't have much space for a backup to be stored! Mine averages around 30 MB with a modest amount of software, appointments and other things stored in ram. I copy everything I can to SD card to leave the most of the ram for program execution. If there's something I ABSOLUTELY cannot be without, I will store it in the file store and carry a iPaq backup on my 64 MB SD card. BTW, I saw 128 MB SD Cards at Walmart for an amazing price of 23 bucks over the weekend! They are Impact brand, but they are made by Lexar! ;) I just love my 5555 and until I can get a HP cell enabled one, I don't see me replacing it any time soon.

orinoco
12-01-2003, 05:49 PM
An HP iPaq with GSM/GPRS built in, and with access to all those sleeves and accesories. I love my XDAII, but this would make me go head over heals again.

Is there chance of this happening anytime soon? I was so disappointed when the Jornada 928 got canned (that was perfect enough). I've heard som many rumours over the past two years about a GSM/GPRS enabled iPaq (not the yucky sleeve). And I've seen the 5600s prospects come and go...

Fernando

MPSmith
12-01-2003, 08:54 PM
An HP iPaq with GSM/GPRS built in, and with access to all those sleeves and accesories. I love my XDAII, but this would make me go head over heals again.

Is there chance of this happening anytime soon?

I doubt it. The SIM card slot in the 5000 series was apparently put there in case HP ever decided to make such a unit. I've read here and elsewhere that the idea was scrapped.

But who knows?

eustts
12-01-2003, 09:31 PM
Why is it that every review has to say that a CON is no CF slot?

DrtyBlvd
12-01-2003, 11:59 PM
Err... re the GPS - Via Bluetooth using the NavMan 4400?

Edit... Doh. You mean 100% internal, right? My bad. :roll: