View Full Version : Magazines, Online, or Word of Mouth?

Vincent M Ferrari
11-30-2003, 12:32 AM
So I was thinking today...

Since I read PPC Thoughts for most of my Pocket PC needs, and only read Handheld Computing or Pocket PC Magazine when I'm AFK, the information in the paper mags are mostly outdated by the time their published, and yet I still love reading articles and seeing pictures and ads and all that.

The question is, what type of media is your number one source for PPC info, and if it's a paper medium, why do you prefer it over an electronic medium?

JTWise
11-30-2003, 01:08 AM
I rarely read any paper medium for news, especially in the PPC realm. I used to have a subscription to Pocket PC Magazine, but I didn't renew it because the information was always a month out of date. We are very lucky to have so many great, informational PPC sites!!

Ed Hansberry
11-30-2003, 02:01 AM
It depends on the subject. Paper media for news, computer info, business, etc. is just about worthless except for some newspapers. It is dated by tha time you get it.

Most things, I prefer on my PPC and I use Repligo to get in there.

dean_shan
11-30-2003, 05:49 AM
I agree with Ed. News goes to fast to get it on paper for me. Plus it's a lot cheaper to get it from the Internet. I prefer to get my magazines in paper form though. I have tried the digital magazines (http://www.zinio.com/) from Zinio. It has potental to be good but the pages turn way to slow for my liking. If I didn't get some free subscriptions I would get it at all.

Candygogo
11-30-2003, 05:51 PM
I love the ability to read mags on my computer and on my pda, but I still prefer paper over both. Don't get me wrong, when in transit, waiting in a doctor's office, etc...nothing beats whipping out your pda and entertaining yourself. However, I'm one of those rude people that read at the dinner table (at home only!) :oops: so I'd rather smudge the mag or newspaper rather than my device that costs hundreds! :wink: Also, I'd rather the paper while reading in bed.

dhettel
12-02-2003, 03:21 AM
Hmm I also prefer paper. There is something permanent about it, web pages come and go and get change, all the time. That can be both good and bad as I see it. I read somewhere that the average web page last something like 70 days. Call me old fashion but I like having it in print. I can go back, and reread it. See if it really is the way I recalled it.

Things electronic have of way of not lasting. E-books that you buy today, and because the retailer change their mind, and now you can't download them any more. Or the software/hardware has moved on and you can't read them anymore. So I'm a keeper, a hoarder, and I don't really like it when everything is disposable. I like my old books, my magazines, LOL and a few 8-tracks I still have.

David