View Full Version : What's the best PDA I can get for under $260?

kewlerthanu182
11-29-2003, 02:28 AM
I have $260 I can spend on a PDA and i'm wondering what to get. If it matters i'm still in school. And i would rather not get it from a no name website w/o a good rep. And why would w/e you think i should get be good.

Also could someone explain bluetooth to me?

Any responses would be helpful, thanks in advance

O and BTW i edited the post after getting $100 more dollars for my b-day

Ed Hansberry
11-29-2003, 02:36 AM
Your best bet is to either find a discontinued model like a Tosh 330 or iPAQ 1910, neither of which are upgradable to WM2003. If you want the latest, either try ebay for a slightly used one or try to find an iPAQ 1930 or Dell Axim X5 standard on sale, or just find another $40. ;)

proutpa
11-29-2003, 02:37 AM
Compusa has a ViewSonic V35 for $149.99 after a $100.00 mail in rebate but it looks like it's sold out right now.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?sid=3FC6900059DE617F&product_code=297795&pfp=BROWSE

Bluetooth is a way to connect devices wirelessly.

kewlerthanu182
11-29-2003, 02:38 AM
thanks for the quick replies and does blue tooth cost money? (like per month)

Ed Hansberry
11-29-2003, 02:44 AM
thanks for the quick replies and does blue tooth cost money? (like per month)
No. A BT connection to your cell phone for online access will cost, but that is just online fees and has nothing to do with BT itself.

kewlerthanu182
11-29-2003, 02:48 AM
do you need a certain type off cell phone? If so how would i kno if it would work?

Anthony Caruana
11-29-2003, 04:17 AM
do you need a certain type off cell phone? If so how would i kno if it would work?

Research my friend.

Many cell phone manufacturers have BT enabled models. You can pick up soem BT phones on ebay with no contract for under $100USD but you need to shop around and be patient as these don't come up every day. I bout a BT enabled phone on ebay for about $80 USD some time ago and i got my latest BT phone for about $100 USD.

If you visit the Nokia, Sony Ericsson and other manyfacturer sites you'll see some BT models listed.

David Prahl
11-29-2003, 09:43 PM
Thought I should add my two cents:

BLUETOOTH: This is a strictly short range wireless. If you have a cell phone with Bluetooth, you could connect the two and use the phone to get on the Internet. You can also get Bluetooth ("BT") adapters for desktop or laptop PCs, which would allow you to wirelessly synchronize your Pocket PC ("PPC"), and even share your PC's Internet Access. Keep in mind that BT only has a range of about 30 feet (but actual range varies from 10 feet to 100 feet).

CHEAP POCKET PC: I would suggest getting a Toshiba e330/e335 (same device) or Dell Axim X5. If you'd like a slim device with only an SD slot, the e335 will suit you well. If you'd like more power and memory slots but don't mind the added size, the X5 is a good idea.

I strongly suggest you browse the web and read a few reviews of PPCs before you buy one.

Good luck! Let us know what you end up doing.

townsendtribe
12-01-2003, 08:25 AM
As far as finding reviews, PocketPCThoughts has always been a great place to find them, just search on the items you want. If you are looking for a site with links to all the different review for almost all the major devices, try PDAReviewSpot (http://www.pdareviewspot.com/default.aspx). They keep a good list of reviews too, with easy to find list by manufacturer.

Happy hunting.