View Full Version : Whats the Best phone for SprintPCS?

tregnier
11-28-2003, 08:46 PM
I've been a SprintPCS subscriber for years. I like their quality and the coverage works for me. I'm thinking of combining my PPC with my phone. I know Sprint offers a couple of PPC and Palm compatible phones. Do any of you have recommendations? Should I change carriers to get a better PPC?

Janak Parekh
11-28-2003, 08:59 PM
The G1000 is the best Sprint-based Pocket PC Phone, if that's what you're asking, but it's not small. :( Of the Pocket PC Phones on the market, the XDA II is probably the best, but it isn't officially carried by US carriers -- you'd have to buy it aftermarket and then get it activated by a GSM carrier.

--janak

dh
11-28-2003, 09:09 PM
I'm a Sprint customer as well and I must say they don't have a very good choice of PPC phones. I believe that the G1000 that Janak mentions is the only one.

At the moment, the best PDA/Phone combo device they have is the Treo 600. If you want to stay with Sprint, that's the only one I would consider getting.

I'd like to upgrade my phone with Sprint, but I want Bluetooth and don't want a camera. This means I have a choice of zero. Shame because the Sprint service is pretty good.

Dave Beauvais
11-28-2003, 09:22 PM
There's a rumor that the Sony Ericsson T608 with Bluetooth will be released soon for use with Sprint PCS. I've never been a fan of the "bar of soap" style phone, preferring compact flip styles, but if you want Bluetooth with Sprint PCS, this may be your only choice. See Sprint PCS Info (http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com) for more details on this and other Sprint PCS-related news. I think the site is run by a Sprint PCS affiliate employee and at least a couple SPCS employees post regularly to the forums there.

Janak Parekh
11-28-2003, 09:27 PM
There's a rumor that the Sony Ericsson T608 with Bluetooth will be released soon for use with Sprint PCS.
I have several friends who have been waiting (and praying) for months for the release of this thing. I'll believe it when I see it. :(

--janak

dh
11-28-2003, 09:29 PM
There's a rumor that the Sony Ericsson T608 with Bluetooth will be released soon for use with Sprint PCS.
I have several friends who have been waiting (and praying) for months for the release of this thing. I'll believe it when I see it. :(
--janak
I gave up a while ago. The phone isn't going to be supported by SE and it's looking like Sprint will never release it. Shame, I would love one.

Dave Beauvais
11-28-2003, 09:53 PM
I'm just hoping my old StarTAC doesn't crap out on me. I don't want any of their current phones and I think camera phones are stupid. Supposedly, I'm eligable for a handset upgrade (http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com/), but that does me no good if their new phones suck. :) I continue to keep my fingers crossed for the T608, but as Janak said, I'll believe it when I see it.

(From what I gather, the handset upgrade program allows current subscribers to get the same phone rebates and special pricing that new subscribers are offered, while maintaining your current number and account status.)

dh
11-29-2003, 10:17 PM
Maybe all is not lost......?
http://www.pcshandsfree.com/cdj/

Janak Parekh
11-29-2003, 11:55 PM
8O 8O

Sprint clearly sees part of the reason of having Bluetooth, but they're not selling it in stores. Wouldn't be a problem, but it's not listed on the website either. Hmmmmm. ;)

--janak

ddwire
12-01-2003, 11:54 PM
I too was waiting for the SE T608 so that I could use it with my Casio E200 that I have invested considerable $$. Got tired of waiting and after trying the Treo 600, Toshiba 2032 and the Hitachi G1000 I purchased the G1000. I like it very much, my only reservation is single band only.

Dave Beauvais
12-20-2003, 12:34 AM
According to this story (http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=304&mode=&order=0&thold=0) at Sprint PCS Info, the Sony Ericsson T608 will be available in limited quantities from Sprint starting next Monday, December 22, 2003. This is supposedly from an official Sprint PCS source. Assuming this will even work with Pocket PCs, I can see 3 MB of data disappearing very quickly, though.

Of course it comes out when I can't afford it. :grumble:

dh
12-20-2003, 12:40 AM
......... I can see 3 MB of data disappearing very quickly, though.
I can see my days with Sprint being numbered. When they have unlimited Vision with the G1000 and the Treo 600 why on earth not with this. 3MB is a joke. :cry:

Dave Beauvais
12-20-2003, 05:26 AM
Probably because they know many people will want to use this with their notebooks and other "high bandwidth" devices. How this is any different to them than the G1000 or Treo is beyond me, though.

I'm very annoyed by all of the mobile carriers right now, but Sprint is ticking me off the most these days. I've been a Sprint PCS customer for around six years and they continue to do things to make me want to switch.

The only thing keeping me here is my unlimited PCS-to-PCS calling option, which I use extensively with several friends who also have that option. We can talk whenever and wherever we want for as long as we want and never go over our minutes. I'd guess that about 80% of my mobile calls are to other Sprint customers, so if I changed carriers, I'd have to actually start watching my minutes again. :) A few of us actually daisy-chain three-way calls together to talk with five people on the phone simultaneously during online games. I'm sure that's ticking off some Sprint executive somewhere.

tregnier
12-20-2003, 02:49 PM
I'd love to get a SprintPCS bluetooth phone. I've been holding off upgrading. BTW, I wonder if it was carefully planned that the banner ad on this page at this moment happens to be for SprintPCS offer of 2 camera phones for $149?