View Full Version : Screen Scratches

kelly_cme3
11-28-2003, 07:26 AM
Only a few days ago, I purchased a new HP iPAQ 1930. While using it yesterday, I scratched the screen when trying to write with Transcriber. The scratch was obviously caused by some dirt or something on the screen, as I had just cleaned the end of the stylus. Anyhow, the scratch seems fairly deep and is noticeable when the stylus goes over it. I was just wondering whether anybody knew if there was anyway to buff or at least 'fill-in' the scratch?

Through searches, I found a product called CompanionLink PDA Screen Cleaner which claims to fill-in scratches and restore clarity (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005A8TT/104-6641689-1280769?v=glance). Does anybody know if this is a good product, or if there are other/better alternatives to solve my problem?

Any info/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kelly

tanalasta
11-28-2003, 12:54 PM
eek! if you're going to go to the trouble of getting an online product, i'd suggest taking your device back to wherever you got it from (especially if it's new) and getting an exchange. Most places in Australia are really nice :) especially if you got it from a big store and might let you just get a new one rather than just send it back to HP. It's certainly worth trying before buying amazon products and waiting for them on the off-chance then work!

Before you do all that, buy a screen protector asap. $20 isn't too expensive now if you can afford a new ipaq! ;)

dannyoneill
11-28-2003, 04:11 PM
I too learnt the hard way, I scratched my first PDA but I took it back claming it kept rebooting, got a new one and everything.

Since then the moment I get a new device before i even turn it on i install a screen protector.

Ive tried the ones from some japanese site that give you the effect of writing on paper, nice, non sticky silicone type thing.

my fav todate are the G2 from http://www.pdascreenprotectors.com/

you can get protectors for a few $ these days but they tend to be pants. you get 2 G2's for your money and im still on my first one after 1 year. there super hard and they claim you can rub them with wire wool and they dont scratch, yet to try that though.

My advice. ALWAYS use a screen protector. PDA screens are far to soft

WyattEarp
11-28-2003, 05:26 PM
Only a few days ago, I purchased a new HP iPAQ 1930. While using it yesterday, I scratched the screen when trying to write with Transcriber. The scratch was obviously caused by some dirt or something on the screen, as I had just cleaned the end of the stylus. Anyhow, the scratch seems fairly deep and is noticeable when the stylus goes over it. I was just wondering whether anybody knew if there was anyway to buff or at least 'fill-in' the scratch?

Through searches, I found a product called CompanionLink PDA Screen Cleaner which claims to fill-in scratches and restore clarity (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005A8TT/104-6641689-1280769?v=glance). Does anybody know if this is a good product, or if there are other/better alternatives to solve my problem?

Any info/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kelly

I'd stay away from scratch fillers if I were you in this case. Try exchanging it first.

there super hard and they claim you can rub them with wire wool and they dont scratch, yet to try that though.

I doubt that, but it would make for an interesting test.

dannyoneill
11-28-2003, 05:36 PM
I have yet to try. But I was reading a review on one of the major PPC sites, they did a roundup of protectors. they scored in the top 3 and the site tested the claims and said they held true to their word.

0X